Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mayweather was offered around 7 Million Dollars to fight Margarito!!!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
    It was agreed yes but only verbally.

Mayweather-Judah was a big PPV fight whej Judah was champ but after he lost it lost most of it's steam but it was still a decent fight but after he lost the belts for me the fight to make was Margarito who had the WBO.

I felt he should have fought Margarito, let Judah and Baldomir rematch and fight the winner. Or, just fight Margarito then Baldomir.

I'm not sure it it was only an oral agreement because it was reported that Arum and King reworked the deal after Judah lost. That doesn't necessarily mean that it wasn't an oral agreement, though, so I'm not saying you're wrong.

And I feel you. At that point it's just a matter of taste I suppose. I would think most fans, especially casuals, would be drawn in by hearing Floyd vs. Zab rather than Floyd vs. Margarito at that particular time. Certainly seemed like Arum was all over it, and possibly HBO who reportedly wwasn't high on Margarito at the time.
    Last edited by travestyny; 12-30-2017, 11:39 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Thraxox View Post
      The Floyd Mayweather brigade is on full force to defend Floyd.
      Who was the 147 champion in the Fall/Winter of '05? Judah right?

He fought Judah and then Baldomir in '06. The Champions.

Comment

• Originally posted by travestyny View Post
        I'm not sure it it was only an oral agreement because it was reported that Arum and King reworked the deal after Judah lost. That doesn't necessarily mean that it wasn't an oral agreement, though, so I'm not saying you're wrong.

And I feel you. At that point it's just a matter of taste I suppose. I would think most fans, especially casuals, would be drawn in by hearing Floyd vs. Zab rather than Floyd vs. Margarito at that particular time.
        I'm positive it was a verbal agreement. It wasn't signed pre Baldomir.

But I understand Floyd honouring it but still, Margarito was the fight for me at the time.

I still liked the Judah fight. Just a shame that he blew it against Baldomir and it would have been a much bigger fight and the logical fight to make.

Comment

• Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
          I'm positive it was a verbal agreement. It wasn't signed pre Baldomir.

But I understand Floyd honouring it but still, Margarito was the fight for me at the time.

I still liked the Judah fight. Just a shame that he blew it against Baldomir and it would have been a much bigger fight and the logical fight to make.
          Also something to think about that I just edited in, apparently HBO wasn't so big on Margarito at that time. So there were probably more than a few factors figuring into this.

He was supposed to be a co-feature fight 11/2005 and the main event got canceled, so the pushed it to 2/2006.

Margarito finds home: When the Nov. 12 Vitali Klitschko-Hasim Rahman heavyweight championship fight was canceled following Klitschko's injury and subsequent retirement, it left Arum looking for a home for the televised undercard bouts.

In particular, it left welterweight titlist Margarito, who has been surprisingly overlooked by HBO and Showtime executives, in need of a fight date.

So Top Rank is creating one for him, and is planning a pay-per-view card for Feb. 18. Margarito will headline against Manuel Gomez, in what was supposed to be the Klitschko-Rahman cofeature.
          http://www.espn.com/sports/boxing/co...dan&id=2228717
          Times might not have quite worked out.

Comment

• Originally posted by daggum View Post
            fighting a guy who just lost to a bum is a more scintillating match up? on what planet? floyd always cherry picked mexicans so why not margarito? also they had to make another contract after judah lost to baldomir so it was planned but then scuttled after he lost only to be revived by floyd for some unknown reason. probably saw another easy win and easy money.
            Or maybe Margarito was scheduled to fight already in 11/2005 and it was pushed to February 18th, 2016 because the main event was canceled, giving him less than 2 months to prepare for a fight at that time. Not to mention that HBO was reportedly not very high on Margarito.

Margarito finds home: When the Nov. 12 Vitali Klitschko-Hasim Rahman heavyweight championship fight was canceled following Klitschko's injury and subsequent retirement, it left Arum looking for a home for the televised undercard bouts.

In particular, it left welterweight titlist Margarito, who has been surprisingly overlooked by HBO and Showtime executives, in need of a fight date.

So Top Rank is creating one for him, and is planning a pay-per-view card for Feb. 18. Margarito will headline against Manuel Gomez, in what was supposed to be the Klitschko-Rahman cofeature.
            http://www.espn.com/sports/boxing/co...dan&id=2228717
            Doesn't seem Arum had a problem with restructuring that contract for more money. Probably was happy Zab lost the way that he did.
            Last edited by travestyny; 12-30-2017, 11:56 PM.

Comment

Dude, just give up already. You're wrong.

We all know what happened next. Mayweather went on to earn more than he was even asking Arum for. You're too dense to understand what was done. He said he'd fight Margarito for 7 million if he could get Hatton for $10 million, Cotto for $10 million, and De La Hoya for $20 million. Bob said no. His team went out and got him $11 million for Hatton $25 million for De La Hoya.

you are conflating 2 different things and i think you are doing it on purpose. you are changing quotes around so it seems like the contract extension and the sharmba fight were both at the same time...they were not.

here is the actual quote from the article from 2016 below 'Arum said while Mayweather would have taken the $8 million to fight Margarito, he asked for a $10 million guarantee to fight opponents such as Miguel Cotto and Ricky Hatton, when Arum was only willing to guarantee $7 million.

http://www.espn.com/sports/boxing/news/story?id=2420382

you for some reason decided to conflate the 8 million after the sharmba fight in 2016 with the 7 million offered in 2015. this is what happened in 2015.

'Pretty Boy' was offered in the neighborhood of $7 million to face Margarito. In what could best be described as a 'business move', the same guy who brazenly challenged the bigger Winky Wright decided to bypass Margarito, to collect nearly $4 million to spar with Sharmba Mitchell.

so he was offered 7 million in 2015 with no contract extension and 8 million in 2016 with a contract extension. please do not bring up the contract extension or try to conflate the 2 time periods again. you know you are wrong. the dates of the articles prove this.

also once again you dont understand the concept of guarantees. floyd might have made 25 mill against hoya but that was not his guarantee. no one would have guaranteed him 20 million. not top rank and not golden boy. you know how i know? because he was only guaranteed 10 million yet he asked for 20 to kill the marg fight. thats called pricing yourself out.

De La Hoya got a guaranteed $23.3 million for the fight, and Mayweather was paid a minimum $10 million
              http://beta.latimes.com/sports/boxin...327-story.html

Arum said Mayweather also asked for $20 million to fight De La Hoya

so as you can see he priced himself out of the hoya fight only to accept half of what he demanded before. that means he was not negotiating in good faith.
              Last edited by daggum; 12-31-2017, 12:04 AM.

Comment

you are conflating 2 different things and i think you are doing it on purpose. you are changing quotes around so it seems like the contract extension and the sharmba fight were both at the same time...they were not.

here is the actual quote from the article below 'Arum said while Mayweather would have taken the $8 million to fight Margarito, he asked for a $10 million guarantee to fight opponents such as Miguel Cotto and Ricky Hatton, when Arum was only willing to guarantee $7 million.

you for some reason decided to conflate the 8 million after the sharmba fight in 2016 with the 7 million offered in 2015. this is what happenedi n 2015.

'Pretty Boy' was offered in the neighborhood of $7 million to face Margarito. In what could best be described as a 'business move', the same guy who brazenly challenged the bigger Winky Wright decided to bypass Margarito, to collect nearly $4 million to spar with Sharmba Mitchell.

so he was offered 7 million in 2015 with no contract extension and 8 million in 2016 with a contract extension. please do not bring up the contract extension or try to conflate the 2 time periods again. you know you are wrong. the dates of the articles prove this.

also once again you dont understand the concept of guarantees. floyd might have made 25 mill against hoya but that was not his guarantee. no one wold have guaranteed him 20 million. not top rank and not golden boy. you know how i know? because he was only guaranteed 10 million yet he asked for 20 to kill the marg fight.

De La Hoya got a guaranteed $23.3 million for the fight, and Mayweather was paid a minimum $10 million
                http://beta.latimes.com/sports/boxin...327-story.html

Arum said Mayweather also asked for $20 million to fight De La Hoya
                so as you can see he priced himself out of the hoya fight only to accept half of what he demanded before.
                Daggum is so flustered he can't even get his Years straight.

Comment

Or maybe Margarito was scheduled to fight already in 11/2005 and it was pushed to February 18th, 2016 because the main event was canceled, giving him less than 2 months to prepare for a fight at that time. Not to mention that HBO was reportedly not very high on Margarito.
                  yeah hbo were real big on sharmba mitchell lmao. hbo were big on whoever floyd chose to fight. were they big on margarito as a headliner probably not but they certainly werent going to show sharmba freaking mitchell fights as a headliner. he was offered 7 million for marg with no contract exention or 4 million for sharmba and he chose sharmba. you cant even believe it so you are trying to use future events and spin anything you find into saying it wasnt a better fight but its not going to work. it was a duck.

Comment

• Originally posted by GriffTannen View Post
                    Daggum is so flustered he can't even get his Years straight.
                    actually i did get them straight. this guy lied and tried to pretend the contract negotiations were in 2005 when they were in 2006. did you not see how he sneakily tried to put the 7 million into the 2006 contract negotiations when it was 8 million? thats why he didnt use a direct quote for that part. you are on the side of a liar but you don't care. hmm

do you not realize we are talking about 2 different time periods here? one was in 2005. that was the 7 million with no extension. the other is in 2006 with extension for 8 million. this guy tried to pretend they were the same so he could say floyd turned down 7 million because he didnt want to extend. its not true. there was no extension in 2005. it was marg for 7 or sharmba for 4. he chose sharmba.
                    Last edited by daggum; 12-31-2017, 12:01 AM.

Comment

actually i did get them straight. this guy lied and tried to pretend the contract negotiations were in 2005 when they were in 2006. did you not see how he sneakily tried to put the 7 million into the 2006 contract negotiations when it was 8 million? thats why he didnt use a direct quote for that part. you are on the side of a liar but you don't care. hmm

do you not realize we are talking about 2 different time periods here? one was in 2005. that was the 7 million with no extension. the other is in 2006 with extension for 8 million. this guy tried to pretend they were the same so he could say floyd turned down 7 million because he didnt want to extend. its not true. there was no extension in 2005. it was marg for 7 or sharmba for 4. he chose sharmba.
                      Dude you wrote 2015 like 5 different times in one post

Comment

Working...
                      X