No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Helenius Grabs Controversial Split Decision Over Chisora

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ИATAS206 View Post
    I went in wanting Helenius scoring a brutal KO, but left disgusted at that robbery. Helenius won no more than 3-4 rounds at best.
    Agree, I thought Helenius could score a KO, but Chisora really surprised me! His style reminded me somewhat of Frazier... Chisora definitely had the higher work rate, Helenius did look very limited and shut down by Chisora... bad decision, but when was the last time I watched a Sauerland fighter without a weird feeling, hahaha...!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ishmael27 View Post
      The British announcers had it by one round and after the decision said it was fair. Now the outrage.
      that was crazy Duke Mckenzie, that was disgracful commentry by Duke, even Rowling was going really? Duke was giving rounds to Helenius because Chisora was show boating. ****ing disgraceful decision had it 9-3 Chisora

Comment

Oh yea and what the **** was up with that ref?... Warning Chisora for weird **** all night long, waving a hand in his face... WTF...

Comment

Chisora dictated the pace and forced Helenius to work more than any of his previous opponents.

Regardless of who really deserved to win, this was a great learning experience for Helenius, he could not afford to lay back and wait for a late TKO over a tired opponent. The big question for me has always been how Helenius could deal with an opponent who does not tire down the stretch. Chisora showed up the weaknesses in his style and also Wegner's teaching methods. Helenius was unable to dictate the pace or control distance and put away a fresher and hungrier opponent than the ones he had faced in the past.

I think "robbery" might be a somewhat strong word to use describing the decision, although I definitely see a better case for a Chisora win or a draw than a Helenius win. I can't say I was surprised when the win was given to the hometown guy. Chisora let his foot off the gas for moments which may have cost him a clear decision win on the cards.

A rematch is most definitely required between the two.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreatA View Post
            Chisora dictated the pace and forced Helenius to work more than any of his previous opponents.

Regardless of who really deserved to win, this was a great learning experience for Helenius, he could not afford to lay back and wait for a late TKO over a tired opponent. The big question for me has always been how Helenius could deal with an opponent who does not tire down the stretch. Chisora showed up the weaknesses in his style and also Wegner's teaching methods. Helenius was unable to dictate the pace or control distance and put away a fresher and hungrier opponent than the ones he had faced in the past.

I think "robbery" might be a somewhat strong word to use describing the decision, although I definitely see a better case for a Chisora win or a draw than a Helenius win. I can't say I was surprised when the win was given to the hometown guy. Chisora let his foot off the gas for moments which may have cost him a clear decision win on the cards.

I think Helenius needs to hire a strength and conditioning coach or something, he looked like he was in pretty bad shape and ran out of steam pretty early.

of course, much of that was chisora's high work-rate, but still, you'd want to do better than that in a tough fight.

Comment

Helenius won a clear decision

Comment

I was wondering what you were thinking?? Then I noticed where you are from and that answered my question. And just so you know I was rooting for Robert.

Comment

By Rob Smith: If you wanted to see a textbook version of a gift decision then tonight's controversial 12 round split decision victory by heavyweight Robert Helenius (17-0, 11 KO's) over visiting fighter Dereck Chisora (15-2, 9 KO's) is the fight you need to see. Helenius won by the judges' scores of 115-113 for Helenius, 115-113 for Chisora, 115-113 for Helenius. However, Helenius looked like the loser in this fight, at least in my scoring, by a fairly lopsided decision. Helenius had no answer to Chisora's pressure and superior inside work. I had a bad feeling about this fight early on when I saw the referee all over Chisora, warning left and right. It was as if Chisora was fighting the referee and Helenius.

I scored it 9 rounds to 3 for Chisora, and I feel I was being overly generous in giving one of those rounds to Helenius. Chisora had him backing up and covering up most of the fight, and really did an excellent job of working on the inside against the tall 6'6 1/2" Helenius. With this win, Helenius captures the vacant EBU heavyweight title and makes a claim for himself that he deserves a shot against one of the Klitschkos. It's just too bad the judges' scoring seem to run counter to what actually took place in the ring tonight, as Chisora worked Helenius over to the body and head all night long. The wasn't even really close. Chisora was simply a much better fighter than the lanky, soft in the body Helenius.

In other fights on the undercard:

Jack Culcay KO 1 Giammario Grassellini
                  Jussi Koivula UD 8 Jose Del Rio
                  Erik Skoglund UD 4 Amine Belali
                  Cecilia Braekhus TKO 10 Kuulei Kupihea
                  Edmund Gerber KO 1 Marcus McGee
                  Edis Tatli UD 10 Pasquale Di Silvio
                  Jarno Rosberg UD 8 Manuel Alberto Pucheta
                  Alexander Povetkin TKO 8 Cedric Boswell

Comment

Well put. Especially the point about Wegener... I think he can offer a solid boxing education, but has never been good with "implanting" a real gameplan in his fighters... Arthur Abrahams last two fights in the Super Six were good examples as well IMO, donīt want to take anything away from Froch or Ward, but when you listened to what was said in the corner ( Iīm German ), Wegener had no useful practical advice to offer whatsoever and was really clueless, just like today with Helenius.

Comment

PRO BOXING opinion

Absolute Disgrace

Robert Helenius won the worst decision I've seen in years tonight over Chisora. Decisions like that one make me feel ashamed for the sport.

Comment

Working...
                      X