Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: “Fighting Words” – The Selling of Pacquiao vs Marquez 3

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been saying the same things in this article for a long time now.

Every time I've been called a ***** for stating the facts.

I'll probably still watch the fight but I don't know if I'm going to purchase, watch on a stream, or go to a bar.

Doesn't feel worth it for the main event alone based on the mismatch.

But maybe if the undercards are good it could be worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by BIGPOPPAPUMP View Post
      by David P. Greisman - The third fight between Manny Pacquiao and Juan Manuel Marquez should be an easy sale. But while the pay-per-view broadcast it headlines on Nov. 12 will sell well, the main event itself will take some heavy persuasion for a number of boxing fans to see it as anything other than a clear favorite against an absolute underdog.

Consider only their first two fights, and those odds are, well, odd.

Pacquiao-Marquez 1 was a dramatic tilt, the highlights of which have been well chronicled in the seven-and-a-half years since: Pacquiao knocking Marquez down three times in the first round, then Marquez adjusting and battling back. The fight improbably went the full 12 rounds, ending as a controversial draw.

Pacquiao-Marquez II, which took place three-and-a-half years ago, was another spirited battle, and once again the scorecards represented that: It was a split decision, with one point providing the margin of victory for Pacquiao.

The third fight between Manny Pacquiao and Juan Manuel Marquez should be an easy sell, then. Yet the fight is not between who Pacquiao and Marquez were then, but rather between who they are now.

They both remain at the top of this sweet science, Pacquiao among the best in the welterweight division, Marquez the reigning, legitimate lightweight champion. [Click Here To Read More]
      WHAT A CRAPPY BIASED ARTICLE,Jmm doesnt look slow, he is 38 and a liweight yes we already know this, JMM looked very good his combos are a thing of beauty, unlike pac whom throws the same 2 punches over and over, of course manny is younger ,faster and stronger.JMM doesnt get enough credit and Manny gets too much credit they always leave out the facts, LIKE JMM outlanded PAC BY VERY SIGNIFICANT NUMBERs IN BOTH FIGHTS AND WON MORE ROUNDS,LIKE MANNYHAS BEEN CAREFULLY MATCHED WITH slow,and old,INFERIOR OPPONENTS,COMING OFF OF LOSSES ,NO-HOPERS,AND ALSO that pac didnt look that great in his last 2 fights, margs landed 230 punches on manny and an shotter than shiaat mosley was able to turn manny and make him look confused and very beatable.too much favoritism toward pac hes a good fighter but hes waay overhyped put him in there with a martinez and mayweather or any other top ten LEGIT not coming off a loss,young,on a solid winning streak top ten guy and see how dominant he is....sell that instead.

Comment

Terrible article..

Yes Manny moved up in weight and performed well in doing so.
        Yes, Jmm didnt perform so well against a superb defence boxer with clear height, weight and reach advantages.
        Yes Manny is clear favourite.

Styles make fights.... this is a fight fans DO want to see and have done for a long time. JMM deserves this fight and Manny needs to settle the doubters. Chances are Manny is going to knock him out but that's for us to see come saturday night.

Knockdowns aside JMM has won more rounds against manny than other way round.. that can't be denied. I fail to see how it isn't a good match up. I'm guessing aprrox 1.3m PPV buyers or more will agree also.

Comment

I like the article, Brothers.

He is like that man in the HBO 24/7 like show of the Leonard vs Hagler match when that respected news writer said "that we are going to watch a fight between two over-the-hill fighters who aren't as good as they were 3 years ago." Something along those lines, I just remember the "over-the-hill" quote more than the rest.

So, our author here is playing that role. An honest review about the two fighters real condition and state that they are now against that of the past.

I have no problems with article, Brothers. Let us just take this as an advice, a caution to an ever higher expectation and hype towards the fight between Pacquiao vs Marquez. So that we won't experience that gutted feeling when we saw the lackluster fights such as Clottey and Mosley fights.

The only thing I have an issue with is why didn't these same writers criticize the Mayweather vs Ortiz fight? No one wrote an article admonishing Ortiz as this young inexperienced champion that he just got lucky getting passed Berto who at the same token gave Ortiz 2 knockdowns as well.

Mayweather got more hype and less criticism from the media while Mayweather himself made a fool out of the media calling the writers liars and ignorant about the sport of boxing.

Enough, I won't "b1tch" more it is just that Pacquiao will never get a break whoever he fights. And I think I am used to it. Later, Brothers you all a good day.

Comment

As I stated before in a thread I created, no one wants to see this ****. No one wants to see a young Pacquiao in his prime take on a ****ing 38 year old Marquez who was completely dominated by Floyd Mayweather. It doesn't prove **** for Manny Pacquiao.

He's taking on a ****ing 38 year old lightweight. When Mayweather came back he admitted it was a tune up. Now this fight is being pumped up for some reason. I wouldn't pay to see it.

Even if Marquez wins, what does that prove? Something we pretty much already know. Mayweather is better than both of them.

Comment

Originally posted by uglypug View Post
              horrible article, from a biased, non-boxing knowing fool. . .
              David surprises me more and more. I actually used to look forward to his articles which were, at the beginning and for a while after, pretty good. But for more than a while now, they have been, to me anyway, tiresome and pedantic, lacking real content.

Why is Marquez, would who has to normally train down to 135, and always rehydrates to 142-44, described as "already a small lightweight"? I think he's even a little taller than MannyP.

Laszlo Papp, declared by the WBC to be the greatest fighter ever, amateur or professional, began as a natural welterweight and fought at 154 and 160 lbs yet only being 5'5", and fast as lightning.

In my opinion, David should stop writing articles and send in augmented "10 count"(s). They are far more informative and interesting giving us actual news which we would never hear, otherwise.

Comment

People who want to watch a real bloody fight....Pacquiao vs Marquez 3 will deliver.

Comment

Nice read....

Comment

Originally posted by BIGPOPPAPUMP View Post
                    by David P. Greisman - The third fight between Manny Pacquiao and Juan Manuel Marquez should be an easy sale. But while the pay-per-view broadcast it headlines on Nov. 12 will sell well, the main event itself will take some heavy persuasion for a number of boxing fans to see it as anything other than a clear favorite against an absolute underdog.

Consider only their first two fights, and those odds are, well, odd.

Pacquiao-Marquez 1 was a dramatic tilt, the highlights of which have been well chronicled in the seven-and-a-half years since: Pacquiao knocking Marquez down three times in the first round, then Marquez adjusting and battling back. The fight improbably went the full 12 rounds, ending as a controversial draw.

Pacquiao-Marquez II, which took place three-and-a-half years ago, was another spirited battle, and once again the scorecards represented that: It was a split decision, with one point providing the margin of victory for Pacquiao.

The third fight between Manny Pacquiao and Juan Manuel Marquez should be an easy sell, then. Yet the fight is not between who Pacquiao and Marquez were then, but rather between who they are now.

They both remain at the top of this sweet science, Pacquiao among the best in the welterweight division, Marquez the reigning, legitimate lightweight champion. [Click Here To Read More]
                    Great article, and right on the button in every respect.

For the past three years Pacquiao has never failed to miss every available opportunity to enhance his legacy. In this case, given that he could still easily make Jr Welterweight if he wanted to (according to Roach), he could have made this a legacy fight by fighting at 140lb. As well as turning it into a legacy fight, the fight would then have had genuine intrigue. As it is, only casual fans, fan-boys and ignoramuses have any interest whatsoever in the fight, and it will do absolutely nothing for his legacy - in fact anything short of complete domination would actually diminish his legacy. Very sad.
                    Last edited by Dave Rado; 10-31-2011, 11:00 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X