Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I love all this talk about Martinez being overrated.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

he had trouble with a guy he's supposed to beat. its expected that some people will say he's overrated.

you know that you're good when a lot of people praise you. you know you're REALLY good when people start to diss you.

Comment

His reputation was built on beating Pavlik and Williams. The former has long been suffering alcohol problems, to what effect that changed the outcome of his fight with Martinez is debatable, and the latter has been badly exposed as a stylistic dream for any decent southpaw. (For the purpose of sanity, I'm not going to discuss the 154lber, who no-one had ever seen fight, that he beat).

It takes a damn sight more than that to impress me; when he beats someone in the class of Duddy or Zbik, then maybe we can talk about him being one of the top 5 middleweights in the worlds. Right now his C.V is way too thin.

Comment

Originally posted by jrosales13 View Post
        Did they stay at 154 or did the run back down to a more comfortable weight-class?

If they fight him at 154 at a weight-class they're not comfortable in. More credit should be giving to them then Martinez himself. But, you can't blame anyone for fighting at a weight-class they're not comfortable in. I will never ask Martinez to fight at a weight he isn't comfortable in fighting in.

Both Floyd and Pac tried it. Didn't like the weight-class and in their very next fight went to a weight-class they felt it suited them more...So what's the problem?
        This post pretty much answers any questions regarding the Martinez fighting welter weights debate. Finito, give it a rest people.

Comment

Originally posted by Bushbaby View Post
          If he's so damn overrated, then why do the top 2 pfp fighters refuse to say his name for a match at 154? Since he's so damn overrated.

Pacman going 12 against a shot 40 year old Mosley was not a pfp performance.

Why did Floyd resort to 2 cheap shots in a fairly competitive fight against a 24 year old?

I hope that 1 of those #1 & 2 decide to grow some nutts & meat Martinez at 154 to see what's really up.

Ps. Darren Barker was clearly a better fighter than we all thought. Give the man some credit, instead of trying to discredit Martinez.
          Burner give it up - only because Martinez killed your hero doesn't make him great. He is a good fighter and has more to him then Williams will ever have but just ask yourselve the question... Why did Williams only wanted to fight from 147-160... probably because he felt comfortable in it...

154 is for Mayweather the 5th weight class (something that Williams would never even touch) and for Pacquiao the 8th weight class... it is that simple... and by the way... Pacquiao and Mayweather are on a level where they feel that they don't have to prove themselves anymore... they already proved themselves over and over again... they looking for the BIG money fights... and Martinez doesn't bring much to the table... that's sad for Martinez...

And why do you want to see this matchup? You are confident that he beats both right? But why? Because it is a physical mismatch from the get go... if Pac or Mayweather would loose to him it wouldn't be because of skill - it would be just because of size... is this boxing to you... I enjoy a good fight between two skilled fighters testing their skill... Martinez against Pac or Mayweather would prove NOTHING for Martinez... beating up a Donaire at 147? What should that prove? What should it prove to beat up Gamboa at 147 or even 154... What should it prove to beat up Pacquiao or Mayweather at 154? That the weight was too much for them... I don't get that... Mayweather and Pacquiao not even dehydrate to over 150... what is so hard to understand... that for both men WW is the ceiling...

Comment

Originally posted by Bushbaby View Post
            If he's so damn overrated, then why do the top 2 pfp fighters refuse to say his name for a match at 154? Since he's so damn overrated.

Pacman going 12 against a shot 40 year old Mosley was not a pfp performance.

Why did Floyd resort to 2 cheap shots in a fairly competitive fight against a 24 year old?

I hope that 1 of those #1 & 2 decide to grow some nutts & meat Martinez at 154 to see what's really up.

Ps. Darren Barker was clearly a better fighter than we all thought. Give the man some credit, instead of trying to discredit Martinez.
            HAHAH! I love it man. Pac vs JMM 3 = Well on fight night they will both weigh in the same so the catchweight wont matter!! This actually favors JMM!!!!1!!

On the other hand, Martinez has to eat desert to make 160. On fight night he balloons up to 165 - the same fight night weight Ortiz came in against Floyd.

If they can use the Pac-JMM excuse, then the same excuse can be made for Martinez fighting Pac or Floyd.

Comment

Sergio has 2 essential problems. One, there simply is not a great deal of talent/competition is his primary weight class and two, he simply isn't a big enough draw to lure potential super fight opposition from other weight classes. The dude is a massive risk without massive reward potential monetarily. I wasn't impressed with him Saturday night at all, but for the most part over the last 2-3 years he's almost been too sharp for his own good. I don't think Floyd or Pac would even consider fighting Martinez at this point and it's pretty obvious Cotto simply is not interested, and with that being said I still think his best move from a business/public perception stand point would be to move to super middle weight. I think that he's big enough and we all know Carl Froch would fight him, which would give him a decent pay day and a lot more exposure especially to UK fans.

Comment

I f people cant critcize him after a poor performance, when can we criticize him?

Comment

Martinez is being accused of being overrated because.... he IS. How many of you at one point called Martinez the best 160lber in 10+years? How many of you actually said on those polls ive seen on here that Martinez could beat Hearns,could go toe to toe with B-Hop, could go toe to toe with Sugar Ray Leonard? I whole heartedly believe that a prime Jermaine Taylor would destroy Martinez. A Prime Pavlik would have too.. B-Hop?? murder.

Now after one less than stellar performance, peeps see him as overrated, stans want to cry. Pure bull****, he was overrated on this board after that 1st Williams fight. When he got that flash ko he was king ding a ling of 160. Some actually called him "sexy" and meant that ****...

People accuse P-Will of being overrated, but honestly, whats the difference btwn P-Will and Martinez? Martinez was winning that fight based off of pure activity (before the barker ko). Barker was blocking all of his punches and had a better punch landed percentage. As many of you guys that **** on Williams for the SAME EXACT THING, explain how Martinez's fight on saturday was different? If the fight went the distance, how could you say that Martinez was winning, if Barker's numbers were better?

Martinez will get the benefit of the doubt on this board because he has this Michael Jordan, demi-god status. No one can EVER criticize MJ because he is MJ. He can slap your mom, **** your wife and make your grandmother lick his ass and you'd accept it because of his perceived greatness. Martinez is the same.

Just because you win a fight, it doesnt mean your not overrated. I never saw Martinez as unstoppable. great matchmaking makes fighters look alot better than they are at times. Williams was a walking ko for a good punching/boxing southpaw. Pavlik was a drunk. Dzizruik had a cult following because he was undefeated and no one really could gauge how good he really was. If he's undefeated, he HAS to be good, right?

If Williams had better matchmaking, i could only imagine how much better off he'd be

Comment

The fight on the weekend showed he is a little overrated.

He's not a hype job or anything and he's still one of the best fighters in the world but losing rounds and getting busted up by a fighter who has only fought above Domestic level a handful of times is frankly unacceptable for a Top P4P fighter.

Comment

Originally posted by size15shoe View Post
                      Martinez is being accused of being overrated because.... he IS. How many of you at one point called Martinez the best 160lber in 10+years? How many of you actually said on those polls ive seen on here that Martinez could beat Hearns,could go toe to toe with B-Hop, could go toe to toe with Sugar Ray Leonard? I whole heartedly believe that a prime Jermaine Taylor would destroy Martinez. A Prime Pavlik would have too.. B-Hop?? murder.

Now after one less than stellar performance, peeps see him as overrated, stans want to cry. Pure bull****, he was overrated on this board after that 1st Williams fight. When he got that flash ko he was king ding a ling of 160. Some actually called him "sexy" and meant that ****...

People accuse P-Will of being overrated, but honestly, whats the difference btwn P-Will and Martinez? Martinez was winning that fight based off of pure activity (before the barker ko). Barker was blocking all of his punches and had a better punch landed percentage. As many of you guys that **** on Williams for the SAME EXACT THING, explain how Martinez's fight on saturday was different? If the fight went the distance, how could you say that Martinez was winning, if Barker's numbers were better?

Martinez will get the benefit of the doubt on this board because he has this Michael Jordan, demi-god status. No one can EVER criticize MJ because he is MJ. He can slap your mom, **** your wife and make your grandmother lick his ass and you'd accept it because of his perceived greatness. Martinez is the same.

Just because you win a fight, it doesnt mean your not overrated. I never saw Martinez as unstoppable. great matchmaking makes fighters look alot better than they are at times. Williams was a walking ko for a good punching/boxing southpaw. Pavlik was a drunk. Dzizruik had a cult following because he was undefeated and no one really could gauge how good he really was. If he's undefeated, he HAS to be good, right?

If Williams had better matchmaking, i could only imagine how much better off he'd be
                      Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
                      The fight on the weekend showed he is a little overrated.

He's not a hype job or anything and he's still one of the best fighters in the world but losing rounds and getting busted up by a fighter who has only fought above Domestic level a handful of times is frankly unacceptable for a Top P4P fighter.
                      Completely agree. I like Martinez a lot, but I think even De La Hoya would've given him major problems at 154 and maybe 160.

Comment

Working...
                      X