Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I love all this talk about Martinez being overrated.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jrosales13 View Post
    Did they stay at 154 or did the run back down to a more comfortable weight-class?

If they fight him at 154 at a weight-class they're not comfortable in. More credit should be giving to them then Martinez himself. But, you can't blame anyone for fighting at a weight-class they're not comfortable in. I will never ask Martinez to fight at a weight he isn't comfortable in fighting in.

Both Floyd and Pac tried it. Didn't like the weight-class and in their very next fight went to a weight-class they felt it suited them more...So what's the problem?
    Good response.

Comment

Didn't see the fight since I was moving all weekend..how was it overall? Anyone got a link of it?

Comment

Originally posted by COACH WEBB View Post
        Didn't see the fight since I was moving all weekend..how was it overall? Anyone got a link of it?
        It was an entertaining if slightly boring fight until the end. Barker was way more competitive than he should have been, which is why threads like this are being made.

Comment

IMO Barker was giving Martinez the business in the 1st 4 rounds, then Martinez evened it out in the next 4 then took total control until a shot behind the ear in the 11 finished Barker, he fought very well.

Comment

You seem mad

Comment

Originally posted by Bushbaby View Post
              IMO Barker was giving Martinez the business in the 1st 4 rounds, then Martinez evened it out in the next 4 then took total control until a shot behind the ear in the 11 finished Barker, he fought very well.
              It wasn't the best performance but Martinez should have committed to the body earlier, as Barker was noticeably open to the body. He managed to get to the body and break Barker down somewhat, but the process could have ran alot smoother. Still, Martinez did what he had to do. It's like top fighters aren't allowed to be in competitive fights, know what I mean?

Comment

Originally posted by Hisoka_ View Post
                It wasn't the best performance but Martinez should have committed to the body earlier, as Barker was noticeably open to the body. He managed to get to the body and break Barker down somewhat, but the process could have ran alot smoother. Still, Martinez did what he had to do. It's like top fighters aren't allowed to be in competitive fights, know what I mean?
                I know exactly what you mean. But Barker was young & undefeated & clearly isn't a bad fighter. Martinez did what he needed to to win. I'm looking out for Barker, I think he beats a lot of the champs at 160.

Comment

If he's so damn overrated, then why do the top 2 pfp fighters refuse to say his name for a match at 154? Since he's so damn overrated.

Pacman going 12 against a shot 40 year old Mosley was not a pfp performance.

Why did Floyd resort to 2 cheap shots in a fairly competitive fight against a 24 year old?

I hope that 1 of those #1 & 2 decide to grow some nutts & meat Martinez at 154 to see what's really up.

Ps. Darren Barker was clearly a better fighter than we all thought. Give the man some credit, instead of trying to discredit Martinez.
                  Great post. There is no room for competitive matches at the highest level it seems. If a guy is to be considered "elite", then he must absolutely destroy the other guy via KO without even getting hit more than a handful of times or else they have "been exposed". This is just the way it goes I guess.

Barker is a very good boxer and his performance showed just that. A KO win might as well have been a KO loss in the eyes of some people.

Comment

I know exactly what you mean. But Barker was young & undefeated & clearly isn't a bad fighter. Martinez did what he needed to to win. I'm looking out for Barker, I think he beats a lot of the champs at 160.
                    Originally posted by mathed View Post
                    Great post. There is no room for competitive matches at the highest level it seems. If a guy is to be considered "elite", then he must absolutely destroy the other guy via KO without even getting hit more than a handful of times or else they have "been exposed". This is just the way it goes I guess.

Barker is a very good boxer and his performance showed just that. A KO win might as well have been a KO loss in the eyes of some people.
                    I dont understand why anybody would hype Barker up...he is no world talent, simply a decent UK fighter at best

He was close to a 20-1 favorite, martinez was but you'd never think that watching the fight saturday, and it wasnt because Barker was better then advertised

Comment

i said it and ill say it again, i wouldnt at all mind seeing serg fight either pac or floyd at 154 or so. i think they are great fights. with that said, i dont at all blame either one for refusing that fight. sergio is a good deal bigger than both of them obviously.

now the cotto thing, cotto campaigns at 154, hes considered the best fighter within the 154-160 range besides martinez. so i really think him refusing to fight martinez at 154 is an obvious duck move. it isnt as if ppl didnt try to make this fight happen. hbo tried. cotto refused and he still has no interest in it it seems.

Comment

Working...
                      X