Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where do you rate Vitali Klitschko among ATG heavyweights?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

his resume is so weak in relation to other guys in the top 20 atg list that its just impossible to say ... if he had even one win over a real top heavyweight you could say something. But the only time he fought a top guy he lost to Lennox. He put up a good showing etc etc but fact is he was stopped. He has never fought anyone as good as that since. But giving respect to his long period of dominance I guess I'd rank him 15-20 but since there isn't a single decent name on his list of victims I don't see how he can be rated higher - after all if you took say Ali out of the equation Sonny Liston could have dominated for years and years beating up on lesser fighters and by vitali is the GOAT logic that would make Liston number 1 or 2 ever. To be the best you have to beat the best and seriously who is the best guy Vitali has defeated?

Comment

I voted 11-15, but could be a little bit lower down.

Comment

Originally posted by House of Stone View Post
        his resume is so weak in relation to other guys in the top 20 atg list that its just impossible to say ... if he had even one win over a real top heavyweight you could say something. But the only time he fought a top guy he lost to Lennox. He put up a good showing etc etc but fact is he was stopped. He has never fought anyone as good as that since. But giving respect to his long period of dominance I guess I'd rank him 15-20 but since there isn't a single decent name on his list of victims I don't see how he can be rated higher - after all if you took say Ali out of the equation Sonny Liston could have dominated for years and years beating up on lesser fighters and by vitali is the GOAT logic that would make Liston number 1 or 2 ever. To be the best you have to beat the best and seriously who is the best guy Vitali has defeated?
        the best around, that being said.................well it doesnt really say a lot

Comment

He can't be one, because he lost to a shell of a lewis. But I have no problem saying top 20. For those saying below that, please provide names of people who rank higher. Especially if you said below 200

Comment

Originally posted by DIB420 View Post
            He can't be one, because he lost to a shell of a lewis. But I have no problem saying top 20. For those saying below that, please provide names of people who rank higher. Especially if you said below 200
            No, Lennox Lewis was age 37 when he fought Vitali.

Wlad will be 36 next month, and Vitali will be 41 in July.

Comment

Not sure, but if I were to guess where my research would lead me to I would probably put him as a top 20.

Comment

# 1...... ThERE'S BEEN NO HEAVYWEIGHT THAT HAS EVER BEEN AS DOMINANT... ONLY SO MUCH YOU CAN SHET ON HIS OPPOSITION BEFORE YOU COME TO THE CONCLUSION HE'S 100% RESPONSIBLE FOR MAKING THEM COMPLETELY & UTTERLY INEPT. VITALI KLITSCHKO HOLDS AT LEAST 20 HEAVYWEIGHT BOXING RECORDS.... NO ONE COMES CLOSE... THERE'S A REASON HE'S GOT THE BEST START IN HEAVYWEIGHT BOXING HISTORY STOPPING HIS FIRST 27 OPPONENTS.. ONLY TO HAVE THIS STREAK ENDED BY A ROTATOR CUFF INJURY.. HE'S GOT THE BEST START IN HISTORY IN TERMS OF NUMBERS & THE BEST FINISH IN HISTORY IN TERMS OF NUMBERS.. IN EVERY SPORT THE GUY WITH THE BEST CAREER NUMBERS IS IT'S BEST EVER.. THIS IS NO EXCEPTION.

Comment

11 to 15

Comment

I think boxing experts are scared to say where they rate Vitali for some reason. I never heard a respected expert comment on vitali historically.

FWIW i wonder where Mike Tyson rates himself as a heavyweight as the somewhat of a historian he used to be, and may still be.

Comment

I find Vitali very hard to rate simply because his resume of decent wins is so poor ... I can't think of any really decent wins on his list (I mean Herbie Hide, Chris Areolia ... Adamek ... Solis ... major meh sure he dominated all those guys but I mean what decent atg wouldn't?) the best two guys he fought, Lewis and Byrd (not that Byrd is even that good) he lost to - say what u will about his performance in either fight fact is he lost both - thats not say he couldn't beat some guys i'd rate higher (say holyfield for example ... maybe he could) but he has never really proved it.

I guess I'd stick him in the lower top twenty and wlad slightly higher maybe 15/16 due to him having more decent wins. I think the Haye situation at the moment pretty much sums up Vitali ... instead of fighting haye he will be happy to completly dominate some bum nobody has ever heard of. And u know what given his performance against Chisora who's to say he wouldn't lose if he fought haye at this point in his career? That would really make his resume look like crap with the three best he's fought all being losses ... maybe thats something in the back of his mind too hence the quick retirement and a nothing fight to close it out. I mean it says it all really if he beat David freaking Haye it would be the best win on his record.

Comment

Working...
                      X