No announcement yet.

Wayne McCullough: "Ortiz should've had 5 minutes to recover"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Weebler II View Post
    Floyd is blamed for taking advantage of the referee's negligence with unsportsmanlike and classless behaviour.

It may be acceptable to you personally, that's on you and your own set of morals, but it's not acceptable to the vast majority of people and that is why there is an huge outcry. If it was acceptable behaviour, you wouldn't hear any complaint, simple as that.

Regarding Ortiz, he was over-apologetic but if Mayweather wasn't going to accept the apology he should not have embraced him and then hit him immediately when the referee wasn't looking then following it up with another when both his opponent and the referee were not looking.

The boxing public (and general public) simply won't stand for fights decided by cheap undefended shots without letting their disapproval be known and this is what you're seeing on these boards and elsewhere.
    There is a huge outcry because it is Floyd Mayweather Jr. It was and is acceptable behavior in a boxing match and if the majority of people do not understand that, then they and you need to get a rule book and brush up. And if you knew the rules, you would not be talking about some under-handed illegitimacy in regards to what Floyd did. Floyd did what he was suppose to do and what people paid to see him do. The fact is Victor spoiled your and everyone else s night, not Floyd.
    The problem with the public and even the HBO announcers is that they were uninformed on even the basic information that the referee had continued the fight. Once that was known, you and many in the public should be honest and lay the blame squarely on Victor Ortiz for not protecting himself. What you are doing is showing sympathy for another mans ignorance. I understand you and the public's plight in this, but your plight is not warranted in this situation.
    Lastly, who gives a damn if the referee was looking at. Floyd knew time was in and proved it without being penalized. Again, moving the blame to others when the blame is on Victor. Call it youth or whatever, but stop blaming the referee or Floyd. They did their jobs. Hopefully Victor does his job better next time.

Comment

mccullough crapped himself on the commentary when ortiz went down, btw. it was really funny. "OOOOOOOOOOOO-OHHHHHH-WAAAAAAAAA-OHHHHHH!!!!"

ortiz got choked and his pum tapped. it happens. everybody should just get over it now.

Comment

Ortiz knew the punch was coming, he was looking for a way out. He had already got hit once.

Comment

Originally posted by SuckerPunch4KO View Post

When two fighters embrace in that manner, they usually, out of respect,

create a space and acknowledge that the other is ready to fight.

Floyd used the opportunity and sucker punched his opponent. He pretended to be cordial about the situation and then as Victor was retreating back to position, sucker punched him.

Now if Floyd didn't want another hug, he should have just pushed him off from the jump. But no, he acted like everything was all good and teed off.

well said, poor unclear officiating aided this fiasco and Floyd completely took advantage of Ortiz' ill advised gesture at apologizing. What is truly sad about the whole thing is how quickly Kizer and dumba ss Cortez came out of their shells to exonerate themselves of any wrong doing. Had this sheet been flip flopped with Ortiz handing out the suckerpunch everyone on here would have equally been outraged. I promise you there would be a few people defending Ortiz but there would not be this outcry from the *****s excusing Floyd.

A FIGHT OF THIS MAGNITUDE SHOULD NOT HAVE ENDED IN THE MANNER IT DID. ORTIZ DISGRACED HIMSELF, FLOYD DISGRACED HIMSELF AND CORTEZ AND THE COMMISSION AGAIN SHOWED INCOMPETENCE ON A LEVEL THAT COST US, THE FANS OUR HARD EARNED MONEY AND TURNED A CHAMPIONSHIP FIGHT INTO A MEANINGLESS 4 ROUND CLOWN-FEST.

Comment

Originally posted by SickRacistThug View Post
            'suckerpunch' is a figurative term here.

in boxing, it doesn't exist. you can call what floyd did a 'suckerpunch' figuratively, but there are only legal and illegal punches in boxing, no suckerpunches. the first commandment of the sport is 'protect yourself, all times'. if time is in, one's duty is to have one's eyes on the opponent with readiness to defend oneself. by definition of the fundamentals and rulebook of boxing, suckerpunches do not exist.

i know you'll find it hard to wrap your pea-brain around this, you dumb, flipflopping, frontrunning, dickhopping faggot, because 1.) you're incredibly -- and i do mean incredibly -- stupid, 2.) you've never boxed and 3.) you know nothing about boxing, but i'm right.
            Originally posted by ballgamessuck View Post
            You are apparently a blind Sick Racist Thug. Legal? yes. Sucker punch? Yes. If I walked up to you on the street, and said I was going to kick your ass, and then I apoligized, acted like I was going to hug you, and then while your guard was down, hit you anyway, it would be a suckerpunch.
            [QUOTE=SickRacistThug;11174156]see post #13, go to the mirror, slap yourself in the face HARD and say "i'm a silly, silly boy".

And you still dont comprehend the concept. See the light, walk to the mirror, slap yourself in the face HARD and say "im a stupid, stupid boy"

Comment

Originally posted by MayMosPeaHop View Post
              There is a huge outcry because it is Floyd Mayweather Jr.
              That's the 'victim' card. There would have been controversy regardless of who pulled that sucker-punch.

To say there is only complaints because it is FMJ is imo inaccurate although I accept the outcry is somewhat louder because it's him, but then he brings that on himself, he also profits from that 'villain' stance.

Lastly, who gives a damn if the referee was looking at.
              If he's not looking at the fight then he's not refereeing, and if he's not refereeing he's negligent and putting the fighters health at risk.

Comment

Originally posted by -MAKAVELLI- View Post
                Cortez didn't see it tho...its like WWF when the manager distracts the ref and the villain pulls out his brass knuckles and KOs the good guy...
                That's exactly what it seemed like to me too!! Exagerrated headbut, a distracted ref looking away, a cheap 2 piece & a cursing of an 80 year old. I've never seen that in boxing, but inwrestling that crap happens all the time.

Comment

So he believes that Ortiz should have got 5 minutes to recover off of what was a legal shot? Whether anyone thinks it was morally right or wrong, it was a legal shot. Maybe he meant Mayweather should have gotten 5 minutes to recover since he actually recieved an illegal blow.

Comment

Originally posted by Bhopreign View Post
                    Ortiz knew the punch was coming, he was looking for a way out. He had already got hit once.
                    I personally believe that Ortiz could have beat the count too, so maybe he just thought it was a convinient exit.

Comment

The problem with your assesment Wayne is Joe Cortez actually did tell them to box.

He said 'Let's go' and motioned them to fight. Which happens to be what he did everytime he broke the action. Thus was his term for 'box'

Therefore, he told them to box.

Therefore, it was a legal punch.

And how the **** can you give someone 5 minutes to recover from a legal punch?

I know; You can't.

/thread.
                      Last edited by IronDanHamza; 09-20-2011, 07:24 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X