No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Fighting Words – As Always, Money May Makes ‘Em Pay

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lorily View Post
    David - is there any way you can help me find the official judges scoring at the time of stoppage for - Jones/Said, Alvarez/Gomez and FMJ/Ortiz? I've asked a few on here including Jake Donavon but have yet to see a response. Would greatly appreciate it.

BTW, good article as usual.
    Thanks, Lorily. A scorecard posted by Carlos Suarez of Boricua Boxing had one judge with Mayweather ahead 29-28 (Ortiz taking the first) and the other two judges with Mayweather ahead 30-27.

I've asked folks on Twitter about the other two fights. Will get back to you when I know.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. David View Post
      Thanks, Lorily. A scorecard posted by Carlos Suarez of Boricua Boxing had one judge with Mayweather ahead 29-28 (Ortiz taking the first) and the other two judges with Mayweather ahead 30-27.

I've asked folks on Twitter about the other two fights. Will get back to you when I know.
      Thanks David.

I was mostly interested in the Alvarez/Gomez (thought Gomez was winning the majority of rounds, but wondered if the judges were at all bias at the time of the *early* stoppage), and the Jones/Said (thought Jones was clearly winning but curious as to whether the judges were as bias towards Said as the commentators were, esp. in the early rounds) fights.

I'm always curious as to the state of mind of the judges in such circumstances, and when the perceived "underdog" appears to be winning against the fighter whom everyone expects (or needs *cough*) to win. We've seen this happen far too many times when there is no knock out or early stoppage.

Comment

David - is there any way you can help me find the official judges scoring at the time of stoppage for - Jones/Said, Alvarez/Gomez and FMJ/Ortiz? I've asked a few on here including Jake Donavon but have yet to see a response. Would greatly appreciate it.

BTW, good article as usual.

Just what I was looking for. Thanks!

Comment

I've been watching all espn shows like first take, pardon the interruption, jim rome is burining, and pardon the interruption to hear the views on the fight.

Comment

"Mayweather-Ortiz was another proverbial black eye for boxing" - Thomas Hauser http://bit.ly/qEmIFW - That says it all!

Comment

Lorily, Gabriel Montoya of MaxBoxing passes along these scores for Carson Jones vs. Said Ouali.

Robert Hoyle 68-64 Jones. CJ Ross 69-63 Jones. Duane Ford 68-64 Jones.

Not sure yet on Alvarez-Gomez.

Comment

Lorily, Gabriel Montoya of MaxBoxing passes along these scores for Carson Jones vs. Said Ouali.

Robert Hoyle 68-64 Jones. CJ Ross 69-63 Jones. Duane Ford 68-64 Jones.

Not sure yet on Alvarez-Gomez.
                Good to know David. Thanks for checking.

Will be even more interesting, for me, to see what the scores were for the Alvarez/Gomez fight. Something tells me that there could have been some controversy in scoring in the end, had the fight not been stopped. There's so much hype around Alvarez and he's so wildly popular, my feeling is that had it gone to the cards at the end, that some of the cards might of been a little iffy in favor of Alvarez. What was your score at the time of the stoppage? I think a lot of people were shocked to see Gomez doing so well IMO. The replay of the stoppage clearly showed that none or perhaps only one of the barrage of shots against the ropes landed cleanly on Gomez. Though Alfonso was clearly buzzed from the initial shot, I don't believe he was that hurt. I don't know if Gomez could have won if he had been given the benefit of doubt to recover (with only what, 20 sec. left on the clock?) but I would have liked to see how he would have handled the next round. Would he have continued with the same tactics that were working for him, or become more defensive trying not to get hit?

But seemingly more important, did that fight show more of what Canelo is then what Alfonso isn't??? Your thoughts?

Thanks again for checking on that for me. Much appreciated my friend.
                Last edited by Lorily; 09-20-2011, 01:16 AM.

Comment

Good to know David. Thanks for checking.

Will be even more interesting, for me, to see what the scores were for the Alvarez/Gomez fight. Something tells me that there could have been some controversy in scoring in the end, had the fight not been stopped. There's so much hype around Alvarez and he's so wildly popular, my feeling is that had it gone to the cards at the end, that some of the cards might of been a little iffy in favor of Alvarez. What was your score at the time of the stoppage? I think a lot of people were shocked to see Gomez doing so well IMO. The replay of the stoppage clearly showed that none or perhaps only one of the barrage of shots against the ropes landed cleanly on Gomez. Though Alfonso was clearly buzzed from the initial shot, I don't believe he was that hurt. I don't know if Gomez could have won if he had been given the benefit of doubt to recover (with only what, 20 sec. left on the clock?) but I would have liked to see how he would have handled the next round. Would he have continued with the same tactics that were working for him, or become more defensive trying not to get hit?

But seemingly more important, did that fight show more of what Canelo is then what Alfonso isn't??? Your thoughts?

Thanks again for checking on that for me. Much appreciated my friend.
                  According to this article, to further demonstrate how badly things were stacked against Gomez, Alvarez was winning 49-45(x2) and 50-44, so Gomez won one round according to two judges and zero according to the third: http://articles.ocregister.com/2011-...-alfonso-gomez

And Gomez's history implies that he would have gone back to his gameplan and kept on Canelo if he survived the round, not trying to win isn't his style.
                  Last edited by HitBattousai; 09-20-2011, 12:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by HitBattousai View Post
                    According to this article, to further demonstrate how badly things were stacked against Gomez, Alvarez was winning 49-45(x2) and 50-44, so Gomez won one round according to two judges and zero according to the third: http://articles.ocregister.com/2011-...-alfonso-gomez

And Gomez's history implies that he would have gone back to his gameplan and kept on Canelo if he survived the round, not trying to win isn't his style.
                    Thanks. And I agree with you, I think Gomez would have continued on the way he was. I knew that somehow there would have been a huge disparity between how the judges "scored" it and what was really going on in the ring (I always thought it would either be Gomez by points or Alvarez by K.O). And what was going on in the ring, up until the time of stoppage, is that Gomez was the only one putting in any real work and was hitting Alvarez fairly easily. Wouldn't mind seeing the compubox stats as well, because to my recollection Alvarez wasn't throwing much at all. I really need to watch the fight again because I can't remember Alvarez doing much at all until he caught Alfonso with that power shot.

If those are the real judges scores at time of stoppage, I am truly disgusted, once again, with how judges vote with what they (*cough promoters/people cough*) NEED it to be, rather then what it REALLY is. So many fighters can't get a fair shake in this game against the "STARS - money makers". The opponent has to knock them out cleanly to win, it would seem.

Comment

Here's the Compubox stats, but it's pretty worthless on this one because they are way off from what happened in the fight: http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/vi...gomez-compubox

Comment

Working...
                      X