No announcement yet.

Willie Pep and the 5 Greatest Defensive Fighters of All Time

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Willie Pep and the 5 Greatest Defensive Fighters of All Time

If you talk about the art of defense with most boxing fans nowadays, without a doubt the name Floyd Mayweather will be brought up. There is no doubt that Money Mayweather is probably the best defensive fighter in recent years.

As impressive as Mayweather's defense may be, he still falls quite short of the No. 1 spot on this list.

Given that Mayweather is an active fighter, many current boxing fans may think highly of him in terms of all time. But in this article we take a look back at the true and undeniable "best defensive fighters in the history of the sport."

Read on to find out who tops him on the list.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/8...rs-of-all-time
    Last edited by SonOfCuba; 08-29-2011, 12:41 PM.

good list, i have no alms with it but there are a few fighters i would rank above ali as far as defense

Comment

Keep the comments coming guys.

Comment

Originally posted by DempseyRollin View Post
        good list, i have no alms with it but there are a few fighters i would rank above ali as far as defense

As would I. Ali had great reflexes, not great defense. Jack Johnson was far superior defensively at heavyweight than Ali.

Top 10 in my opinion and subject to change.

1. Niccolino Locche
        2. Willie Pep
        3. Pernell Whitaker
        4. Wilfred Benitez
        5. James Toney
        6. Floyd Mayweather
        7. Joe Gans
        8. Bernard Hopkins
        9. Roberto Duran
        10. Jack Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post

As would I. Ali had great reflexes, not great defense. Jack Johnson was far superior defensively at heavyweight than Ali.

Top 10 in my opinion and subject to change.

1. Niccolino Locche
          2. Willie Pep
          3. Pernell Whitaker
          4. Wilfred Benitez
          5. James Toney
          6. Floyd Mayweather
          7. Joe Gans
          8. Bernard Hopkins
          9. Roberto Duran
          10. Jack Johnson
          Ali's reflexes and footwork were his defense, though jack Johnson had a better defensive arsenal.
          Last edited by Vadrigar.; 08-29-2011, 03:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by -D33Pwaters- View Post
            Ali's reflexes and footwork were his defense, though jack Johnson had a better defensive arsenal.

Ali was great and Im not trying to put him down, but I just can't see a place for him in the top 10.

Comment

How can you not have Riccardo Lopez on that list?

Comment

Originally posted by WILL2WIN View Post
                How can you not have Riccardo Lopez on that list?

My list is always subject to change. Where do you think he fits in amongst the names I have and why would you rank him there?

Comment

When you talk about the best defensive fighters of all time, are you talking about their defensive skills, or their resume...for example, if you rate Locche's defensive skills above Pernells, do you also rate him higher in your p4p list......

Comment

Ricardo El Finito Lopez is the best defensive little man in the sport ever. Retired undefeated with a record of 51 wins,O losses,1 draw and 38 ko's. He defended his straw weight title sucessfully 21 times! He also won a flyweight championship,and defended it twice b4 retiring. He always found a way to win and his defense was almost seamless. I could put him anywhere in the top 5 of your list :P

He is one of only like 3 boxers i think to have ever retired undefeated btw
                    Last edited by WILL2WIN; 08-29-2011, 03:39 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X