Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Teddy Atlas "Povetkin is HW champion of the world" - agree or disagree?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I met Teddy Atlas earlier this year and he was one of the nicest individuals Ive seen from the sports world.

I asked him about Povetkin and he was so happy that a fan wanted to talk about something other than May/Pac that we chatted for 10 minutes about his fighter and the dismal state of the Heavyweight division.

I have to agree with Atlas on this. Povetkin is Olympic champ, defeated Eddie Chambers first and has never been beaten. Id say he deserves his WBA crown.

Comment

Originally posted by Joeyzagz View Post
      I met Teddy Atlas earlier this year and he was one of the nicest individuals Ive seen from the sports world.

I asked him about Povetkin and he was so happy that a fan wanted to talk about something other than May/Pac that we chatted for 10 minutes about his fighter and the dismal state of the Heavyweight division.

I have to agree with Atlas on this. Povetkin is Olympic champ, defeated Eddie Chambers first and has never been beaten. Id say he deserves his WBA crown.
      I've also met and spoken at length with Teddy. I agree; he's a nice guy. However, I don't agree about Povetkin being champion. Things like this are a drag on boxing. Atlas's comments just go to show that an otherwise good guy can be blinded by self-interest.

Comment

just another bull**** championship

Comment

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
          I've also met and spoken at length with Teddy. I agree; he's a nice guy. However, I don't agree about Povetkin being champion. Things like this are a drag on boxing. Atlas's comments just go to show that an otherwise good guy can be blinded by self-interest.
          I agree that he shouldnt be called WBC champ but we shouldnt really be putting a lot of stock into these fraud organizations anyway. The important thing is he fought and beat a solid veteran. Fights off the top of my head recently for titles like Canelo vs Hatton,Cotto vs Jennings are just as bad for boxing if not worse than this.
          Last edited by ny123; 08-28-2011, 09:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ny123 View Post
            I agree that he shouldnt be called WBC champ but we shouldnt really be putting a lot of stock into these fraud organizations anyway. The important thing is he fought and beat a solid veteran. Fights off the top of my head recently for titles like Canelo vs Hatton,Cotto vs Jennings are just as bad for boxing if not worse than this.
            Part of the problem is that the sanctioning bodies have to be legit in order for the sport to be legit. They're inextricably tied together. All these paper champs dilute the sport...weaken it.

Not long ago, the WBA decided to make Yuriorkis Gamboa the "regular" featherweight champion, even though he never beat the reigning champ, Chris John. The organization then "elevated" John to "super" champion. It's a joke...and it's on us, the fans.

Comment

WBA is a joke, It shouldve been Wlad's when he beat Chagaev, it wasnt given and Chagaev was stripped

Instead it was put up for the Valuev - Haye fight.

Haye won the "belt" and defended it against Fraudley and Ruiz.

Then when Haye loses to Wlad, Wlad doesnt become the WBA champ, he is the WBA SUPER CHAMP, so then they put the WBA belt up for grabs in the POVETKIN-Chagaev fight.

Thats 2 times the belt wasnt given to Wlad. What a joke. It seems it works like this

1) Create fake belts and pass em around
              2) When Wlad pwns the guy with the belt just give Wlad a fancy title and belt and put the regular WBA belt into a new title fight between 2 random guys who will pay sanctioning fees to be called "CHAMPS"

Comment

You're the only person besides Teddy who believes that.

Comment

wlad has already beat chagaev and haye for this belt its crazy someone else can call themselves the champion.. but i guess at least it makes a challenger for wlad

Comment

is he fcuk. its just stupid alphabet organisations trying to cash in on as many fighters as they can. looks like they are trying their best to destroy the sport because of their greed. wlad is the WBA champ and thats it.

Comment

Atlas a nice guy? Sure sometimes he is, but I've stories of him pulling out a gun when this one particular fighter quit on him.

Povetkin is not the WBA champ, Haye was, and Wladimir defeated him. There is no merit in the belt that Povetkin won, he deserves credit for the win though.

Comment

Working...
                      X