Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sergio Martinez didnt get good until he was 34! Thats not suspect? Is he overrated?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ray* View Post
    Guess Hopkins who started out at 28 has something to hide too..
    he did what now?

Comment

Martinez is very overrated. He had a title he inherited via Forrest's reluctance to fight him prior to his death. He won a lot of new fans with the first Williams fight. Then he beat Pavlik for the MW title, smashed Williams in the rematch, and beat Down Dzinziruk. He's having a nice run right now. But his resume isn't that good. Around here his name just gets thrown around when Pac and PBF fans need a new line of defense. That said, I don't think he's "suspect". Just a guy who took a long time to make big points for himself.

Comment

Originally posted by LarryX2011 View Post
        he's been good he just now started getting the fights that put him in the spot light?
        It took 13 years? Come on Larry....

Comment

nobody wanted to fight him.......vernon forrest and oscar refused to fight him..thats why vernon was stripped of his wbc belt at 154 and thats how sergio got it

Comment

Originally posted by Ray* View Post
            Guess Hopkins who started out at 28 has something to hide too..
            I think he was 23....

Comment

Originally posted by LarryX2011 View Post
              nobody wanted to fight him.......vernon forrest and oscar refused to fight him..thats why vernon was stripped of his wbc belt at 154 and thats how sergio got it
              lol and what year was this?

Comment

Martinez is young 35 because he got a late start to boxing. Alot of these guys with the long amatuer careers are used up by time there 35 because they've been in the ring so long. it depends on the fighter in how mush punishment they received over the years.

Comment

i think he is tbh he koed williams with his eyes closed williams was on the floor when he opened his eyes, it was a lottery shot and his numbers came in and because of that punch every1 loves him off

Comment

Originally posted by Brother Jay View Post
                    Well my man, your thread is dying because folks are responding as if you're accusing Sergio of being on PEDs, which you haven't'.

You have asked a legitimate question.

Sergio has 2 noteworthy wins in his entire career.

He's been knocked out by Antonio Margarito.

He's drawn with Cintron.

The man became a pro in 1997 and didn't win a significant match until 2010??
                    I see exactly what you're saying Cash Cow.

I've said it myself, but this is the current boxing culture now. Everyone who has a win, especially if they are not American, are hailed as P4P fighters even IF they only have 1 or 2 meaningful wins.
                    And when you consider that Pavlik was coming of a loss to Hopkins and Williams had already been exposed by Quintana ... well I understand your point, Cash Cow.
                    Sergio Martinez is an exciting fighter as he gets in there and does his best to win. His win over Williams was powerful considering Williams had never been stopped. Pavlik was doing well through the early rounds, but Martinez found a
                    ***** in his armor in the middle rounds.
                    This doesn't justify anyone calling him a P4P fighter though. The P4P term has been so battered and ******ed that it carries no real meaning anymore.
                    P4P used to mean that a smaller fighter's skills would be put up against a bigger man's skills leaving physical attributes out of it. When a fighter's skills came out victorious in a round robin against the current best he was calledP4P.
                    Nowadays, pseudo-intellectuals like Max Kellerman and company use the term to describe anyone who has won the last big fight against another big name, but not necessarily a big talent. That totally stripped the term of the true significance it once carried
                    So Martinez .. who has only won 2 significant fights out of 51 .. is ridiculously been called P4P because boxing is in dire need of stars.
                    If Judah beats Khan tonight, I wonder if they'll be calling the American P4P after such a win? I'm sure they would be calling Khan P4P if he wins.
                    Its a sham. No one should even be considered for that kind of distinction without longevity. That term was created for Ray Robinson, who after his first
                    loss to LaMotta, went on a 91 fight winning streak. That's called longevity. That's when you know you have a fighter that is consistent at being great and deserves to have such considerations.
                    Its not as much fantasy boxing as much as its an acknowledgment that a specific fighter's skill and talent are so set apart from ANY other fighter in ANY other division that he is widely believed to have the ability to win at ANY weight .. if size and ONLY size were not a factor.

That's a hell of a compliment, but one that should not be lightly thrown
                    around. Most of today's crop of fighters aren't even close to fitting that criteria. Yet at some point or another they are ALL called P4P.
                    Good thread, Cash Cow.
                    Shi t post. A decent point covered in shi t. Did you see cintron-sergio? Obviously not......

Pfp is thrown around too lightly and actually means absolutely nothing amyway.

Total sh it thread.

What do you know about sergio's career progression?

He didnt come out of the olympics and have every opportunity handed to him like the ts's *******ual crush did. Sergio's route to fame was much harder....dumbass.

Comment

I realize you're trying to be a troll here, but its very poorly done.

You should focus on learning what it is to be a professional fighter and get more of a proper feel for the finer details prior to trying to troll something like this again.

Comment

Working...
                      X