Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Based purely on skill, your top 5 fighters of the decade?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by F l i c k e r View Post
    If you want to get into the quality of opponents that Manny has fought since Marquez 2. We can.

It is absurd to put pacquiao on the list. Being a good fighter doesn't mean you have a large skill set. Shyt, I may as well put Margarito up there for beating Cotto, a skilled boxer, to a pulp. Froch should be there too. Paul Williams, a guy who can't avoid an overhead right for his life, there too. Gatti. Micky Ward. Corrales.

You can't differentiate a skill list and an overall ranked one. I thought it was pretty simple but apparently you still think the topic means the best fighter.

On a side note: Why do people put pacquiao on a list just because floyd is on a list and vice versa?
    If you beat somebody it's because you have better skills than they do. Duh. You can't prorate and say "Oh but he's faster and has more power so never mind". You can't change the rules of the game until your team wins. You can't say the team that hits home runs isn't skilled because they don't have better fielders so in my world catching the ball scores runs and hitting homers doesn't count.

With his speed and power, Manny Pacquiao makes punches miss and immediately fires back. He turns them with angles using speed and punishes them with power. Manny does it for twelve consistent rounds. This IS skill. Sorry, not going to buy that because by your own list one of the most skilled fighters in the world can hit him he must not be very skillful.

He certainly hasn't been dropped like a sack of bricks the way Marquez has been constantly.

Comment

Originally posted by DempseyRollin View Post
      ok...so look at your post and then look at mine. who used the stronger language?? if u cant figure out, then mebbe u should call it a nite, buddy.
      lol you're so naive and sensitive if you got affected with my choice of words. why don't you read my post again? don't tell me the "probably your opinion is fueled by hate" is strong enough to get you affected? reminds me of my female co-worker.

Comment

Originally posted by Chadmazing View Post
        If you beat somebody it's because you have better skills than they do. Duh. You can't prorate and say "Oh but he's faster and has more power so never mind". You can't change the rules of the game until your team wins. You can't say the team that hits home runs isn't skilled because they don't have better fielders so in my world catching the ball scores runs and hitting homers doesn't count.

With his speed and power, Manny Pacquiao makes punches miss and immediately fires back. He turns them with angles using speed and punishes them with power. Manny does it for twelve consistent rounds. This IS skill. Sorry, not going to buy that because by your own list one of the most skilled fighters in the world can hit him he must not be very skillful.

He certainly hasn't been dropped like a sack of bricks the way Marquez has been constantly.
        please refer to Kev's last post.... thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by brick wall View Post
          lol you're so naive and sensitive if you got affected with my choice of words. why don't you read my post again? don't tell me the "probably your opinion is fueled by hate" is strong enough to get you affected? reminds me of my female co-worker.
          Strange, you remind me of my best friend's mother, who would be willing to argue for hours with you that Pacquiao should be the GOAT, and the top of every single list that involves boxing. Including defensive wizards. You sound exactly like her, and this is not just based on one post Brick, I've seen you post quite a while and you sound exactly like her.

Especially with the whole "I don't support **** fights...but Pacquiao could be fighting Vivian Harris and I'd still order it!" How did that work out for you bud?

Comment

Originally posted by Rico1965 View Post

Now if we were talking Heart:

1. Gatti
            2. Pacquiao
            3. Froch
            4. Morales
            5. Marquez
            Katsidis, Corrales ?

Comment

dude, all i wanted to see was ur list. if u dont wanna post it then fine. but i thought that was the point of the thread. if u wanna sit here and argue about this then it obviously mean u are really bothered by everybodys choice. i mean seriously, what i said was the truth. personal choice. now do u have one or not, sissy boy?

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
                I love Roy Jones, he's my all time favorite fighter, and out of bis towards him I would pick him as the #1 skilled fighter in the 90s. But I know very well, it was Roy Jones reflexes, legs, handspeed, and power that made him dominate through the 90s and very short period in the early 2000s.

Same with Pacquiao even worse cuz Pac gets hit too much and always has, RJJ was untouchable in the 90s. Pac and Jones aren't the most skillful fighters. James Toney was more skillful than Jones, but it didn't matter, who won their fight? Who won the chess match between Jones and Hopkins who was an exceptionally skillful boxer in the 90s[and still is]. Jones reflexes, hand speed, legs, and power got him those wins against two of the most skillful boxers in the 90s-early 00s. Tell me how such a skillful boxer like Hopkins, lost to a guy who's gameplan is simply outworking his opponent in Calzaghe? Doesn't matter how skillful you are, you can lose to something as simple as a fighter with faster hands and better reflexes but no real good ring generalship. I could be wrong, but this is the way I see it.
                To do that is to do everything backwards, though. Do you really want to dumb skill down into ONE thing? Why call it skill at all if you're going to go blind, deaf, and dumb to certain things?

Roy Jones had more skill because SPEED IS A SKILL! How can it possibly not be? If you play "if so and so didn't have _____" then you're invalidating the whole argument. Yeah, no **** Roy Jones with the speed of a turtle would suck ass. So go find THAT guy and call HIM unskilled. A fighter simply IS the sum of their technique and talent put together to create their unique skill set. Is it not a special skill for Roy Jones to be able to do what only Roy Jones can do?

Comment

Originally posted by KLTPTheFlomo View Post
                  Strange, you remind me of my best friend's mother, who would be willing to argue for hours with you that Pacquiao should be the GOAT, and the top of every single list that involves boxing. Including defensive wizards. You sound exactly like her, and this is not just based on one post Brick, I've seen you post quite a while and you sound exactly like her.

Especially with the whole "I don't support **** fights...but Pacquiao could be fighting Vivian Harris and I'd still order it!" How did that work out for you bud?

naahh you're too dumb...won't waste my time talking to you. not even once did i bother recognizing your posts so do me a favor...don't quote my posts again.

Comment

In this order Hopkins,Mayweather,pacman,Sergio Martinez and Juan Manuel Marquez,

Comment

naahh you're too dumb...won't waste my time talking to you. not even once did i bother recognizing your posts so do me a favor...don't quote my posts again.
                      Lol, you're just like most *******s Brick. I can't take you seriously each time you post, which is exactly why I don't pay attention to you. Until now.

"NO POOCHIE ON LISTZ WTF U HAET HIM EVEN DHO U GUT MORALEZ ON LIST U HAET OFFENSIV KING LIEK PACCCCUIAO"

BTW, "not once" lol, how many times have I owned you brick? Almost as much as I owned Hugh "Mosley was in his prime when he fought Cotto" Grant.
                      Last edited by Las Vegas,; 07-15-2011, 01:33 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X