Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Based purely on skill, your top 5 fighters of the decade?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by F l i c k e r View Post
    i don't agree with his haye choice either, i think that is more absurd than pacquiao.

whenever i think skill, i am thinking basically technical ability. this doesn't mean you have to be marquez because I was considering joan guzman, donaire, hopkins etc but the margin between them are so razor thin that i didn't feel comfortable putting a 4 and 5.
    Joan Guzman... hahaha.

Yeah, there's a guy that doesn't skate by on speed with his hands down most of the time! He got his balls kicked in by Ali Funeka. But hey, he runs from contact so he's "skilled"!

Comment

Manny is very skilled, but not as technically fundamentally-sound as Floyd, Marquez, ect.

Comment

Originally posted by Chadmazing View Post
        Except, speed and power are skills. Skill wins fights. Manny wins fights. Manny has skills. Are we really going to create a slope so slippery as to say, for instance, that Pernell Whitaker wasn't a good fighter? A slope so slippery that we're going to penalize a fighter for daring to have too much talent? Good god.

What exactly is the formula for skill prorating? ******ed.

Nope. speed and power are attributes in my book. It's all subjective anyways, there is no definite way to place these in any category. It's just the way I see it and alot of other people see it. So, I find it absurd to have a guy who couldn't think to uppercut a person, who not only wouldn't throw a punch but had a basic high guard to be on a pure skill list.

Never said he wasn't a good fighter either. Your mistaking this thread for a p4p list or best fighter list. Which it isn't.

Comment

I'm gonna go by decade as in 2000-2009.

1. Floyd Mayweather Jr
          2. Bernard Hopkins
          3. Wladimir Klitschko
          4. Juan Manuel Marquez or Erik Morales
          5. Joel Casamayor[obviously not in the later part of the 00's]

I almost wanted to put Joan Guzman and Chris John, but they just never fought/don't fight top guys consistently and Guzman has no discipline with his weight. I think at 122-126, Guzman is a really good fighter and his good skills were showcased best in the lower weights. Now he's just a waste of talent sadly, I think his career is over but I hope i'm wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Chadmazing View Post
            Joan Guzman... hahaha.

Yeah, there's a guy that doesn't skate by on speed with his hands down most of the time! He got his balls kicked in by Ali Funeka. But hey, he runs from contact so he's "skilled"!
            uh ding dong, did I put him on the list? no. i considered him.

Comment

most skilled?

1.mayweather
              2.b hop
              3.donaire
              4.marqez
              5.chad dawson

all of these fighters are very skilled and would probably rank among the mosts skilled of all time, imo.

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
                I'm gonna go by decade as in 2000-2009.

1. Floyd Mayweather Jr
                2. Bernard Hopkins
                3. Wladimir Klitschko
                4. Juan Manuel Marquez or Erik Morales
                5. Joel Casamayor[obviously not in the later part of the 00's]

I almost wanted to put Joan Guzman and Chris John, but they just never fought/don't fight top guys consistently and Guzman has no discipline with his weight. I think at 122-126, Guzman is a really good fighter and his good skills were showcased best in the lower weights. Now he's just a waste of talent sadly, I think his career is over but I hope i'm wrong.
                I felt the same. I wanted to put Casamayor too but I felt that the margin between the guys I thought for 4 or 5 was too razor thin to put them up.

Comment

Mayweather
                  Calderon
                  Hopkins
                  Marquez
                  Wright

Comment

Originally posted by F l i c k e r View Post
                    I felt the same. I wanted to put Casamayor too but I felt that the margin between the guys I thought for 4 or 5 was too razor thin to put them up.
                    I think Humberto Soto is a very skilled fighter, and Guzman basically outboxed him easily. Wasn't even close. Sadly, that's the only real good win that stands out. He has a couple of more good wins. But Soto is his signature win. I would have liked him to have more signature wins, like a win over Cambell when the fight was canceled because Guzman didn't make weight. I just shake my head at Guzman in disappointment, what a shame.

Comment

Originally posted by uglypug View Post
                      im seriously thinking about blocking the TS for putting Haye at 5. . . how? why?
                      I've never blocked anyone but I was seriously considering it myself. I've just never seen anything like it, i'm at a loss for words

Comment

Working...
                      X