Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fact or Myth: Floyd Dont Like Southpaws?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hate to play devil's advocate, but Floyd's been hurt by 3 out of the 3 Southpaws he's faced (Judah, Corley, and Mitchell).

I think it was the 4th or 5th round Mitchell hurt Floyd. It wasn't major, but he slightly wobbled him.

Fact is, Floyd dropped Corley 2x, stopped Mitchell, and got the victory over Zab.

Comment

Originally posted by BoxingGenius27 View Post
      I hate to play devil's advocate, but Floyd's been hurt by 3 out of the 3 Southpaws he's faced (Judah, Corley, and Mitchell).

I think it was the 4th or 5th round Mitchell hurt Floyd. It wasn't major, but he slightly wobbled him.

Fact is, Floyd dropped Corley 2x, stopped Mitchell, and got the victory over Zab.
      Mitchell never hurt Floyd. Thats BS.
      Judah stunned him and Corley stunned him.

Mosley stunned Floyd and he is not a southpaw. It's a myth that Floyd has trouble with southpaws.

List of Southpaws Floyd fought in his career.........................

sanders
      giepert
      J. chavez 1997
      corley
      mitchell
      judah

Comment

Originally posted by Code Red View Post
        You mean Judah caused him to stumble? I wouldn't call that dropped....but in a 12 round fight, whether a lefty or righty isn't it logical that an opponent may land 1 or 2 good punches? There hasn't been any fighter that can consistently hit Floyd, what makes anyone think Manny can. If he lands one good punch chances are he wont land another, even slow, over the hill Shane avoided Mannny's shots.
        Judah to me as of recent has been the one the land the most consistently through 4-5 rounds against Floyd due to his quickness and southpaw stance. Floyd can't really use the shoulder roll to his favor against a southpaw, so a lot of times he'll have the high guard. When he did that with Judah, Judah was able to land straight body shots down the middle and landed some fast lead lefts and right hooks (which managed to technically drop Floyd). The speed factor was in Zab's favor, but Floyd eventually timed him and got the better of Judah. To give Floyd credit, he knows how to keep his composure during difficult times which inevitably works to his favor.

Now, most will look at this and say "Well if Floyd did this to Judah, Manny's no problem". Unfortunately for those who believe that, Pacquiao and Judah, though both fight from a southpaw stance, present different problems. While both Judah and Pac are speed fighters, Pacquiao is the more aggressive, busier, probably a smarter fighter at this point along with having consistent power throughout the fight along with having amazing stamina. You also have to question whether or not Mayweather is able to take Manny's will away from him as he's done with other boxers and likewise with Pacquiao to Mayweather.

If and when Floyd does fight Pacquiao, throw out the notion of the skills because we know what Floyd can do. The question really is whether Floyd is still the same Floyd or is losing even a fraction of his speed and instincts which against Pacquiao can mean a long night for Floyd. The Ortiz fight to me (though not Floyd's toughest fight) is going to show where Floyd physically is at in his career.

Comment

People say this largely because he can't use the shoulder roll as much v southpaws, but he doesn't use it THAT much anyway, it's just people notice it a lot because it's so impressive. He prefers facing orthodox guys no doubt, but it's grossly exaggerated.

Comment

he destroyed every southpaw he faced, not sure why people believe that...because a few of them was able to land some BIG SHOTS???

but in the end they all still got picked apart and destroyed so how is that considered "STRUGGLING WITH SOUTHPAWS?" I never really understood how some fans just come of with this stuff

Mosley is not a Southpaw and he got in a big shot, so what does that mean? Mayweather struggles with Right Handed Fighters now also LOL

Comment

the only reason he has a harder time wint southpaws is because he doesnt see the punches coming as easy. but with that said, hes never really struggled with any of the southpaws hes been in with besides a few hiccups with judah and corley. 2 fights dont establish a pattern.

Comment

I call Myth. Two times in his career he's come close to losing and one came against an orthodox pressure fighter(JLC I) and the other came against an orthodox boxer with a great jab(ODLH).

Comment

Originally posted by Steak View Post
                  try using your brain please. the point was that Mayweather has to change his style and come out of his comfort zone to deal with southpaws, and thats generally not a good thing.

Fans that come out of the woodwork once Pacquiao vs Mayweather bull**** starts up again are some of the thickest bastards on this website.
                  Is Mosley a southpaw?

Comment

Originally posted by BoxingGenius27 View Post

Whats up with the MYTH that Mayweather has trouble with southpaws?

Floyd Mayweather vs DEMARCUS CORLEY

Mayweather Landed 47% of his 50 punches per round and 53% of his power shots.

Mayweather Outlanded Corley 283-150 in total punches.

Mayweather Dropped Corley in 8th & 10th rounds, landing 28 power shots in 8th & 34 in 10th.

OH and Mayweather shoulder rolled all night on Corley...

8th & 10th rounds...problems with southpaws?

Mayweather Finished strong, outlanding Corley 120-44 in power shots over last 5 rounds.

Scoring: 119-107; 118-108; 119-108

Floyd Mayweather vs Zab Judah

Mayweather dropped first 2 rounds on 2 cards after getting outlanded 11-5 in power shots in opening 6 minutes. Start of round 3 All Floyd from then on, as he outlanded Judah 153-53 in power shots, including 28-2 in the 9th. Floyd played some “D” as well, as Judah landed in single digits in total connects in 10 of 12 rounds.

Rounds 7,8 & 9..Utter dominance

Overall, Mayweather landed 205 of 441 (46%) total punches to 89 of 485 (18%) for Zab.

Floyd also landed 158 of 322 (49%) power shots to 64 of 177 (36%) for Judah, who managed to land just 25 of 308 jabs (8%).

Scoring: 116-112; 117-111; 119-109.

I sincerely hope this isn't ALL Freddie Roach has to go off of to prepare Manny Pacquiao for Floyd Mayweather
                    Last edited by Cash Cow; 07-07-2011, 04:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky Rode View Post
                      I call Myth. Two times in his career he's come close to losing and one came against an orthodox pressure fighter(JLC I) and the other came against an orthodox boxer with a great jab(ODLH).

I find this funny that whenever someone speaks on the Mayweather-De La Hoya fight they always revert back to the token....."Oscar would have won if he kep throwing the jab AFTER the 6th round"..........well boys & girls I am here to end all of that madness and lame message board rhetoric

Surprisingly, Floyd had the edge in jabs landed 69-40, throwing 240 to Oscar’s 246.

Oscar landed just 4 of 77 jabs in rounds 10-12, after landing 31 out of 124 jabs in rounds 6-9.....lol

Lets to the math....124+77= 201.....so after the 6th round...Oscar threw 201 Jabs.....he threw 45 jabs in the first 5 rounds......

So TRUTH BE TOLD Oscar actually threw MORE Jabs after the 6th round than he did before the 6th round....lol...

Thats all folks!

Comment

Working...
                      X