Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thank god, Martinez-Barker IS NOT finalized!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thank god, Martinez-Barker IS NOT finalized!

Originally posted by World Boxing News
    ‘Dazzling’ Darren awaits contract for US bout

Sergio Martinez’s October 1st bout with European middleweight champion Darren Barker is still to be finalized according to the Londoner. Barker, 29, was acting as a pundit on Sky Sports’ Saturday fight night last weekend and confirmed that the bout is agreed ‘in principle’ with the Argentinian, although contracts are yet to be exchanged or signed.

The undefeated Brit (23-0, 14 KO’s) faces his toughest test to date against the two-weight world champion if the bout can be agreed as he seeks to gain exposure on American soil and knows that a bout with ‘Maravilla’ win or lose, will make him a household name in the States amongst the boxing fans.

36 year-old Martinez (47-2-2, 26 KO’s) is regarded as one of the best pound for pound fighters in the world and currently holds the coveted Ring Magazine middleweight belt in his possession. The California-based southpaw has been pencilled in to challenge WBC champion Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. early next year and will want a convincing performance against whoever he faces in October to lead him into his title shot.
    Maybe there's still a chance of them replacing him with Pirog, Golovkin or Rubio.

Originally posted by BoxerDood View Post
    Maybe there's still a chance of them replacing him with Pirog, Golovkin or Rubio.
    No, no there isnt

Comment

no, there isn't.

Comment

Golovkin has some promotional contract issues. I remember he said something about not being able to fight in American television until next year.

Comment

Originally posted by Russian Crushin View Post
          No, no there isnt
          Not even Rubio? I don't know, maybe that's just me getting my hopes up because I'm pissed about this fight.

Comment

Plug in anyone you want from JMW to MW and they they all get worked over so what does it matter?

Comment

Originally posted by DoktorSleepless View Post
              Golovkin has some promotional contract issues. I remember he said something about not being able to fight in American television until next year.
              Yeah I forgot he has that same slave contract Sturm had before. But that still leaves Pirog and Rubio. Pirog probably isn't likely because they would have jumped at that before, but Rubio is a good fight. He just knocked out Lemeiux, and he's ranked #1 by the WBC.

Comment

Originally posted by mathed View Post
                Plug in anyone you want from JMW to MW and they they all get worked over so what does it matter?
                Because its a waste of his prime seeing him fight s**ty, unknown Euro bums when he could fight champions, or at least guys with solid resumes.

Comment

Yeah I forgot he has that same slave contract Sturm had before. But that still leaves Pirog and Rubio. Pirog probably isn't likely because they would have jumped at that before, but Rubio is a good fight. He just knocked out Lemeiux, and he's ranked #1 by the WBC.
                  Its kind of not

He's way past prime and was a 17-1 underdog in the Lemeiux fight

Comment

Originally posted by Russian Crushin View Post
                    Its kind of not

He's way past prime and was a 17-1 underdog in the Lemeiux fight
                    But he's better than this Euro bum. Even against cab drivers he failed to impress me.

Comment

Working...
                    X