Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have you forgiven Ortiz for quitting against Maidana?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Until Ortiz rematches Maidana and wins... Maidana is still Ortiz's daddy....

Comment

Originally posted by Gutz View Post
      Until Ortiz rematches Maidana and wins... Maidana is still Ortiz's daddy....
      True but given how they looked in their last fights, who u bettin on?

My $ is on Ortiz

Comment

Don't think that's for anybody to forgive.

That second bomb of a KD Ortiz took from Berto was as solid a shot as I've seen from a strong fighter. Ortiz got up (impressive enough right there) but didn't cave and as we all know ended up KD Berto seconds later and almost clearing the remaining rounds. This fight proved he has heart just like the Maidana fight proved he wasn't completely committed.

Does the heart he demonstrated in the Berto fight take precedence because it's the most recent example? Or does the Maidana fight still loom large because, after all, he did quit? I'm rooting for Ortiz but unfortunately I think the negative repercussions from the Maidana fight (while now slightly diminished) will remain and he'll be forced to prove himself every time out. And that may ultimately play in his favor.

Comment

He was badly hurt in that fight.

Quitting is something different, like O'Neil Bell against Adamek or Sam Peter against Vitali Klitschko.

The people who are critical of Ortiz in that fight are ****sexuals like Max Kellerman who have never fought in a ring.

Comment

He was forgiven by me right after the fight. Many young fighters implode mentally when pushed hard for the first time. It is a learning experience for them. It is something totally new to them and that adversity will help them grow.

I know many sh|t talkers in here will still continue to do the same. To be frank, they know jack **** and have never placed gloves on in their lives.

Leonard lost to Duran the first time because it was the first time he actiually got scared in the ring. It was a learning experience for him. He may not have actually quit in that fight, but mentally he did. After that fight, he reversed it and placed Duran in the same type of situation in the next one.

My point is almost all fighters have strong but fragile mindsets. When pushed it can cause some bad decision making. That bad decision is not necessarily a trend, but usually something to correct. We have also seen it lately with Lemieux. He found he could not knock out Rubio, and mentally fell apart by getting so stressed, got tired and then got beat up until his corner saved him.

Comment

Of course hes forgiven. Ortiz was still young and he was badly hurt. Any 22 year old would fold like that against Maidana. I see Ortiz stopping him now though.

Comment

it's in the past and he's shown what he is capable of...only question now is can he keep his new attitude going...

Comment

to be honest, I never had a problem with it in the first place.

its not like the guy ran away the whole fight and then *****ed out and quit. He fought his ass off and ate a lot of shots, getting dropped in the process.

and he knew that his weight drain would have just killed him in the late fight, and it was going downhill. If you know you cant win a fight after giving it your best for a few rounds, there really isnt a point in continuing.

It was a good choice in the long run.

Comment

Ortiz didn't need to apologize or be forgiven for anything he did. He is a young fighter who never tasted defeat and I think spoke out of emotion for that split second of his life.

I think once he settled back down and realized how it all looked and understood he wanted to fight and be a world champion, he dedicated himself to the sport completely and to that specific fight against Berto.

Boxing is a tough business and when you are used to rolling over competition like Ortiz was and then all of a sudden you are met with a serious challenge, it can be hard for a young fighter to overcome.

I think Ortiz answered all the questions and many great fighters lost early on and matured and got better. I think Ortiz is that type of a fighter and hopefully his camp and trainers will teach him that KEEPING the title is going to be harder than it was to win it.

Comment

up, **** happens. it's all how you can bounce back. i think moving up in weight was the thing to do. he was drained at 40, and seems alot fresher at 47.

Comment

Working...
                      X