Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Andre Ward's style of boxing use illegal tactics? Official Poll!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does Andre Ward's style of boxing use illegal tactics? Official Poll!

Essentially meaning that his style of fighting is cheating. It would be harder to question, if these all his recent fights didn't offer some level of home field advantage.

I'd love to be a fan of this guy. American, olympic gold medal winner, charismatic.. But his fights are mostly boring to watch(at least since Miranda anyway) and it's very debatable whether or not his style is even legal. Some have attempted to argue that he is a slick boxer and not everyone can appreciate his skill level.. IMO that is bull****.

Anyways, I hope he starts fighting in a more fan friendly and legal style. No disrespect to Ward fans. Poll to follow, please discuss.
    Yes, his style incorporates illegal tactics
    69.77%
    No, his style does not use illegal tactics
    30.23%

Originally posted by DrewWoodside View Post
    Essentially meaning that his style of fighting is cheating. It would be harder to question, if these all his recent fights didn't offer some level of home field advantage.

I'd love to be a fan of this guy. American, olympic gold medal winner, charismatic.. But his fights are mostly boring to watch(at least since Miranda anyway) and it's very debatable whether or not his style is even legal. Some have attempted to argue that he is a slick boxer and not everyone can appreciate his skill level.. IMO that is bull****.

Anyways, I hope he starts fighting in a more fan friendly and legal style. No disrespect to Ward fans. Poll to follow, please discuss.
    No more illegal than Ricky Hatton's style was.

Comment

Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post
      No more illegal than Ricky Hatton's style was.
      And End Thread.

Comment

That's what referees are for

Comment

I don't think he intentionally goes out there to headbutt people. Some people just have a habit of putting their head down and leading with it. Other then the headbutt's it's legal.

If it's not broke don't fix, currently he's the most talented fight in the whole entire division. When the only chance you have of losing is prayer landing from bute, froch, or abraham then you know your legit. I think he's going to end up beating all of them rather easily. Might have some problems with Johnson though.

Bika and Green aren't really exciting fights to begin with. I've always found Bika exciting but he's not a fan favorite. When he fights Froch or Bute then we'll get a more exciting fight. Learn to appreciate.

Comment

Originally posted by Natedatpkid View Post
            I don't think he intentionally goes out there to headbutt people. Some people just have a habit of putting their head down and leading with it. Other then the headbutt's it's legal.

If it's not broke don't fix, currently he's the most talented fight in the whole entire division. When the only chance you have of losing is prayer landing from bute, froch, or abraham then you know your legit. I think he's going to end up beating all of them rather easily. Might have some problems with Johnson though.

Bika and Green aren't really exciting fights to begin with. I've always found Bika exciting but he's not a fan favorite. When he fights Froch or Bute then we'll get a more exciting fight. Learn to appreciate.
            I can't appreciate that much clinching. He didn't always fight with that much wrestling. It's not good for the sport. No one, especially casual fans want to see the action smothered like that.

Comment

what's so illegal about this?

Comment

I would call it dirty more so than cheating, he certainly bends the rules but some of it is unintentional and some of it is just fouling to gain an advantage.

Is a guy that fouls Dwight Howard to send him to the line instead of dunking cheating, is a db that tackles a guy that beats him to hold him to a 30 yard gain instead of a TD cheating.

How he fights is certainly not the cleanest example of boxing so I can understand not being a fan but I wouldn't call it cheating, dirty and not very sporting sure but this is fist fighting I don't expect them to be like that.

I like Ward because he plays to win and will get in the mud to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by DrewWoodside View Post
                  I can't appreciate that much clinching. He didn't always fight with that much wrestling. It's not good for the sport. No one, especially casual fans want to see the action smothered like that.

Ricky Hatton made millions holding and wrestling more than Ward does. The sport did just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by ИATAS206 View Post
                    what's so illegal about this?
                    hahaha he had like 1 clinch that whole entire round with only 2-3 clinches in that round but the other 2 were from missed punches so they fell into each other. Thats called schooling Mikkell Kessler right thurr. haha

Also take into consideration the man doesn't fight in huge rings like Floyd Mayweather or Manny so he's in a smaller ring and he's a defensive fighter so that automatically puts him at a disadvantage where he likes to fight with space.

The Bika fight was mutally dirty. You can fault Bika just as much as you fault Ward.

Comment

Working...
                    X