Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Guillermo Rigondeaux: Who can beat him???

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rigondeaux will accomplish little in boxing. Hes already pretty old for his weight class and his style relies on natural reflexes. and since hes not even fighting often and agaisnt limited competition its not like hes going to fight the best in the division any time soon.

Ive seen him troubled when the opponent doesnt let him play into his game. he really only looks spectacular when he gets to counter punch...once he fights someone who can take the figth to him on the inside or confuse him with potshotting, he will lose and dissapear.

Gamboa has much more potential than him, and Ive said that since the beginning.

hes too in love with his amateur style and doesnt think it needs any changing. this will cause him to fail soon, like many of the other cuban amateur stars lately.

Comment

Originally posted by Steak View Post
      Ive seen him troubled when the opponent doesnt let him play into his game. he really only looks spectacular when he gets to counter punch...once he fights someone who can take the figth to him on the inside or confuse him with potshotting, he will lose and dissapear.
      That makes no sense at all. You are saying he shines when someone tries to take the fight to him (he gets to counterpunch) yet he will get confused when someone takes the fight to him??

You are really underestimating this guy's skills. The only thing against him is age now, agreed.

Comment

Originally posted by Dustaine View Post
        That makes no sense at all. You are saying he shines when someone tries to take the fight to him (he gets to counterpunch) yet he will get confused when someone takes the fight to him??

You are really underestimating this guy's skills. The only thing against him is age now, agreed.
        'take the fight to him on the inside' was my exact quote. Rigondeaux will get beat up when someone forces him to fight on the inside, and has the power to hurt him at very close range.

there a big difference between infighting and simply fighting offensively at midrange.

Comment

'take the fight to him on the inside' was my exact quote. Rigondeaux will get beat up when someone forces him to fight on the inside, and has the power to hurt him at very close range.

there a big difference between infighting and simply fighting offensively at midrange.
          To take the fight to him on the inside he must get there first, and that is exactly the problem with your theory, Rigondeaux is a brilliant counterpuncher with excellent movements and skills.

Comment

Rigondeaux will accomplish little in boxing. Hes already pretty old for his weight class and his style relies on natural reflexes. and since hes not even fighting often and agaisnt limited competition its not like hes going to fight the best in the division any time soon.

Gamboa has much more potential than him, and Ive said that since the beginning.

hes too in love with his amateur style and doesnt think it needs any changing. this will cause him to fail soon, like many of the other cuban amateur stars lately.
            Name the Cuban amateur stars that have failed lately. Odlanier Solis (17-1)suffered a knee injury and was KOed against one of the dominant heavyweights of his time, Vitali Klitschko. Erislandy Lara (15-0-1) had a lackluster performance in his last outing, which ended in a draw. Yordanis Despaigne (8-1) lost a UD against a shining prospect in Ismayl Sillakh. None of these Cubans can be said to have failed...at least, not yet. The only former Cuban amateur star that might be verging on bust is Yan Barthelemy, who's 12-2, with one loss coming by way of TKO.

Just because these guys aren't setting the world on fire doesn't mean they're "failed stars". Because of their amateur pedigree, and the mystique that it carries, these athletes are sometimes unfairly labeled as disappointments. Give them some time to learn the pro game before you pass judgement. Some of these men will make it, some of them won't, but Cubans will have their share of stars in the professional boxing world. Bet on it.

Comment

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
              Name the Cuban amateur stars that have failed lately. Odlanier Solis (17-1)suffered a knee injury and was KOed against one of the dominant heavyweights of his time, Vitali Klitschko. Erislandy Lara (15-0-1) had a lackluster performance in his last outing, which ended in a draw. Yordanis Despaigne (8-1) lost a UD against a shining prospect in Ismayl Sillakh. None of these Cubans can be said to have failed...at least, not yet. The only former Cuban amateur star that might be verging on bust is Yan Barthelemy, who's 12-2, with one loss coming by way of TKO.

Just because these guys aren't setting the world on fire doesn't mean they're "failed stars". Because of their amateur pedigree, and the mystique that it carries, these athletes are sometimes unfairly labeled as disappointments. Give them some time to learn the pro game before you pass judgement. Some of these men will make it, some of them won't, but Cubans will have their share of stars in the professional boxing world. Bet on it.
              perhaps youre right, 'failed' was a bit too harsh of a word. but I dont see them becoming the best in their divisions, thats all I meant. I should have used my word choice a bit more reasonably.

point taken.
              To take the fight to him on the inside he must get there first, and that is exactly the problem with your theory, Rigondeaux is a brilliant counterpuncher with excellent movements and skills.
              Counterpunching is takign advantage of when a guy throws punches. If someone is able to march in on Rigondeaux to the inside, he will have success. Being good at counter punching doesnt mean you have the skill to keep someone off you, and Rigondeaux is very choosy with his punches.

Comment

Counterpunching is takign advantage of when a guy throws punches. If someone is able to march in on Rigondeaux to the inside, he will have success. Being good at counter punching doesnt mean you have the skill to keep someone off you, and Rigondeaux is very choosy with his punches.
                Man, Rigondeaux is not new in his business, you really need to watch more of him to realize that your theory doesn't hold any water.

I'd like to see someone try to march in on Rigondeaux.

Comment

Originally posted by Dustaine View Post
                  Man, Rigondeaux is not new in his business, you really need to watch more of him to realize that your theory doesn't hold any water.

I'd like to see someone try to march in on Rigondeaux.
                  watch his fights with Cordoba and Addy and you will see his flaws.

Comment

perhaps youre right, 'failed' was a bit too harsh of a word. but I dont see them becoming the best in their divisions, thats all I meant. I should have used my word choice a bit more reasonably.

point taken.
                    Most of these guys won't be the best in their divisions. However, I think most will be solid professionals that no one can take lightly. There will be some, like Gamboa, that do become the best, or among the best. There will even be some that surprise "on the upside". Bottom line: Cubans will be well-represented, at least in line with their general presence in pro boxing.

Comment

watch his fights with Cordoba and Addy and you will see his flaws.
                      Neither Córdoba nor Addy tried to march in on Rigondeaux, they both played conterpunchers.

When Addy tried to do it in the first round, see what happened.

Comment

Working...
                      X