Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Sergio Martinez guilty of picking on fighters smaller than him?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The_Golden_Goy View Post
    the argument I tried to put forward was of Martinez calling out Pacquiao and Mayweather, who are significantly smaller, when he could go to 168lb or even 175lb for bankable fights.

Is everyone on here so unbelievably pedantic and on a wankfest over Martinez that they can't see an objective point being made?
    No, I could see your argument and point and might have actually agree with. If Martinez was challenging either one at MW.

Because, neither one has fought at MW and I would be able to see where you were coming from.

However, he's challenging them at a weight-class that both have won trinkets in. Martinez, Floyd, and Pac all 3 held the same garbage belt at the same weight-class and Martinez is willing to fight them at that said weight-class.

Do you not see the actual difference?

And, what's worse in Pac case. Is that there is a very big possibility that Pac might once again fight in the weight-class that Martinez is challenging him in against the winner of Marg-Cotto.

So please cut the BS.

Comment

to be fair, martinez has only fought one career long middleweight. but he himself came up in weight as well, and fairly recently.

I dont mind him going after big names like Pacquiao, Mayweather, Cotto...but in the meantime, his ass better not fight start fighting Peter Manfredo's.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
        But isn't that precisely what you're doing in this thread? Saying Martinez is picking on smaller fighters as oppose to fighting guys 'his size'?

Martinez was fighting at 154 just before 2010 and started his career at 147. He is a small middleweight.

Floyd and Manny both won titles at Jr Middleweight (or apparently)

Sergio says he will come down to fight them were they have fought before and won titles. So why are they too small now?

Manny just fought at Jr Middleweight. Well, I guess you can call it that. Strange he's too small when it's not Margarito who he is fighting.

And Floyd is a small Jr Middleweight but if he has made it before he can certainly make it again.

Alright point taken, let me put this another way. Would it not make more sense for Martinez to be looking up towards SMW than fighting Pacman? Middleweight is bereft of someone capable of beating him, he'll have zero chance of getting JCC Jr or Saul Alvarez in the ring at Jr Middle.

So would a fight at Super Middle be a sensible and credible option for him at the moment?

Comment

Now before the martinez brigade kick off, i am a fan or sergio. but the arguement that he should be fighting pacquiao is just ludicrous. Why is he looking down at a 147lber when he could look 8lbs north and take on someone larger in a another weight division? He cant expect Mayweather or Pacman to come up and meet him at 160, or even 154lb in Pacmans case. Why doesnt he wait for the semi finals of the super six to end and go for the losers? its two faced to complain pacquiao and mayweather wont fight him when theres 13lbs difference, but if he was to go up 13lbs himself and fight Dawson or Pascal at LHW or the very least go to SMW, he'd most likely get his arse handed to him on a plate. Its not like theres not much money in these fights, a Martinez v Bute or Martinez v Kessler even would be bankable exciting fights.

Martinez should be looking upwards, not down.

Discuss

Not really, he has been putting in hard work for years with no money to show for it. Only in his last few fights has he popped up on the national radar. He wants to get paid, the biggest money fights in the world are Floyd and Pac..they have both fought at 154...and are or were belt holders there. They could all meet at 154 and there should be no complaints there. Most of the good 168 lbrs are tied up at the moment.

Then the same thing could be said about those guys picking on the smaller Martinez....

Comment

Did I read the title correctly?

Are we talking the same Martinez that took on massive Paul Williams, bigger Kelly Pavlik, taller Dzinziruk, etc?

The career welter/JMW?

Comment

all 3 fighters have held the 154-wbc belt and 154 is where the fight can happen

END THREAD

Comment

Alright point taken, let me put this another way. Would it not make more sense for Martinez to be looking up towards SMW than fighting Pacman? Middleweight is bereft of someone capable of beating him, he'll have zero chance of getting JCC Jr or Saul Alvarez in the ring at Jr Middle.

So would a fight at Super Middle be a sensible and credible option for him at the moment?
                Well, he has 3 fights at 160. He is a small Middleweight, maybe in the future he might pursue 168 but he is near the end of his career and will be very small at 168.

He wants Pacqiauo and Mayweather because firstly they are the best fighters in the world an because they can make 154 and so can he, thus, why not fight?

And secondly because he is near the end of his career, beating Pacqiauo or Mayweather does more for his legacy than anyone else.

Comment

the argument I tried to put forward was of Martinez calling out Pacquiao and Mayweather, who are significantly smaller, when he could go to 168lb or even 175lb for bankable fights.

Is everyone on here so unbelievably pedantic and on a wankfest over Martinez that they can't see an objective point being made?
                  It's a dumb point. No fight at 168 (or 175 - lol!) generates a fraction of what Mayweather or Pacquiao does, so how can you blame him for looking there? Besides, I don't get why Sergio calling out these guys is such an outrage. Pacquiao just won a title at Junior Middle, but all of a sudden he's too small to fight there? Mayweather previously won a title at Junior Middle and looked like a big and strong welter in his last fight, but he's too small as well?

You seem to be comfortable with Pacquiao and Mayweather fighting bigger guys, but only if they don't pose too big a threat. Or why else would you have an issue with Martinez wanting to fight them?

Comment

Originally posted by Steak View Post
                    to be fair, martinez has only fought one career long middleweight. but he himself came up in weight as well, and fairly recently.

I dont mind him going after big names like Pacquiao, Mayweather, Cotto...but in the meantime, his ass better not fight start fighting Peter Manfredo's.
                    Well not at consistency at least. But, after the run his been, he can have one gimme. Everybody has there one gimme after going on a good run.

However, you can't have back-to-back gimme's.

Comment

Did I read the title correctly?

Are we talking the same Martinez that took on massive Paul Williams, bigger Kelly Pavlik, taller Dzinziruk, etc?

The career welter/JMW?

Comment

Working...
                      X