No announcement yet.

Ivan Calderon a first Ballot HOF'er?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ivan Calderon a first Ballot HOF'er?

Al Bernstein just said he is an unquestionable first ballot HOF'er during the undercard of tonights fight.

What's your opinion on this?

Edit*

I'm focusing on the term 'unquestionable'.

Do you consider Ivan Calderon a first Ballot HOF'er regardless to who he is up against?*
    Last edited by IronDanHamza; 04-02-2011, 09:21 PM.

I think he was the best little man of the last decade. Easily the sport's best pure boxer in that time frame and has good to great wins under his belt. If he wins tonight, it's icing on the cake

Comment

I agree.

There's something to be said for consistency.

Being the champ and defending it 18 times is HOF material.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
        Al Beristein just said he is an unquestionable first ballot HOF'er during the undercard of tonights fight.

What's your opinion on this?
        Depends on who else is on the ballot. The top three vote getters are elected each year. For me, personally, and I thought about this for a while as to how to articulate what I think 1st ballot should be, if a fighter is CLEARLY one of the three best on the ballot their first year up, they're in. If not, they are not. This year, for instance, with a class like Tyson, Chavez, and Tszyu all on the 1st ballot, Ivan would not have been. There are multiple long time ballot persons I'd still see in before Ivan (like Yuh, Gushiken etc.). That could change with a win tonight but there's a look.

Comment

I think it depends on who else is eligibile to get in.

Comment

Originally posted by ThePhantom5 View Post
            I agree.

There's something to be said for consistency.

Being the champ and defending it 18 times is HOF material.
            He has 16 defences across 2 divisions, right?

He was a great Minimumweight and beat a list of solid fighters but let's not forget he never unfied the division and there were fighters he didn't fight. He was also only considere the #1 at Minimum weight for 1 year of his reign.

At Jr Flyweight he was the Lineal Champion straight away and he beat top fighters but as we know his reign has been cut short but after tonight we will se what happens there.

HOF'er? I think so.

First Ballot? Hmmm, I'm not so sure. I wouldn't say it's 'unquestionable' by a long shot. JMO.

Comment

Originally posted by crold1 View Post
              Depends on who else is on the ballot. The top three vote getters are elected each year. For me, personally, and I thought about this for a while as to how to articulate what I think 1st ballot should be, if a fighter is CLEARLY one of the three best on the ballot their first year up, they're in. If not, they are not. This year, for instance, with a class like Tyson, Chavez, and Tszyu all on the 1st ballot, Ivan would not have been. There are multiple long time ballot persons I'd still see in before Ivan (like Yuh, Gushiken etc.). That could change with a win tonight but there's a look.
              I agree.

So you would agree he's not an 'unquestionable' First Ballot I.e a Chavez of this year who is going to get in regardless of who he is up against?

That's how I see it, personally.

This thread isn't to try and discredit Calderon. I'm a big Calderon fan.

I'm just curious to what others think on Bernsteins statement.

Comment

If he wins this fight, I'd say YES, if he loses, I'd than say NO

Comment

I think so. Whether he wins or not tonight I still think he has shown HOF skill, longevity etc to be considered a first ballot type. Of course, we only say 'first ballot' HOFer as a guide. If you had Ray Leonard, Roberto Duran and Pernell Whitaker up against you, it's very, very, very rare you are going to be a first ballot HOFer.

As a guide, I'd say so. He's been a much overlooked great champion.

Comment

No, and there are guys who are in the ballot right now as we speak. That should be in before Calderon. Maybe if he wins today, I will change my mind...Maybe.

Comment

Working...
                    X