Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Yuriorkis Gamboa vs Chris John Not Likely, Says DuBoef

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Johm-Marquez was close, and close fights usually go to the Champ. Marquez's trainer said he thought he won, but didn't think it was some huge robbery or anything.

If Gamboa wants that strap he'll go take if from John in Indonesia. If not, I don't see the fight getting made.

Comment

this is strange cause john's managers have said they will try to get the gamboa fight.

Comment

Originally posted by BIGPOPPAPUMP View Post
        According to Top Rank's President, Todd duBoef, a WBA unification between the organization's two "super champions" at featherweight, is not likely to take place. DuBoef doesn't believe the fight is possible because of the high financial comfort that John receives for fighting at home in Indonesia. It would take a lot of money to lure John to the United States for a Gamboa clash, but there is no demand for the fight in the American market.

[Click Here To Read More]
        what I'm hearing is that they want john's title on the cheap, either pay the guy to come over here, or fight him in Indonesia. I really don't see what the problem is, Gamboa fought in Germany, so what's the problem in fighting John in Indonesia. This should be an easy fight for Gamboa IMO

There is a second option ask WBA for a purse bid and out bid them, but apparently they don't want to do that.

I'll say it again they want john's title on the cheap

Comment

I think they really don't want the fight. Chris John is a serious threat to hand Gamboa his first loss. He even beat JMM which should tell you all you need to know. Some people claim JMM was robbed but as the article states, it was a close fight and JMM is far superior in skill than Gamboa. Top Rank doesn't want the fight, plain and simple...

Comment

Originally posted by El C@cique@PR View Post
            OK, so why dont fight John in Idenesia if he draws there, I mean is not like Gamboa is a huge draw or anything.
            Thats the first thing that came to my mind. It makes more sense for Gamboa than Juanma due to the latter's higher draw capacity but if either of them go unify that fight would be a huge, stadium style fight. I would absolutely love that and it would be great for boxing - which means it will most likely never, ever happen.

Now I'm frustrated again...

Comment

Originally posted by Natedatpkid View Post
              Obviously you need to watch that fight. And of course people that were there thought he won THERE ****IN INDONESIAN AND WANT HIM TO WIN. Marquez easily won that fight, your ****in slow or just trying to play stupid.
              I'm neither slow nor stupid. My worst enemy would not accuse me of either, with or without the four letter "embellishment". There was also an article on either Boxing Scene, Maxboxing, or **********, about 2 years ago about that fight which said that the stories going around that John got a home town decision against Marquez were "sour grapes" and NOT TRUE, and that contrary to ignorant opinion, John was very good and won convincingly.

Comment

Gamboa is the one in the spot light where HBO viewers are concerned. So John needs to leave Indonesia and quit fighting stiffs. With that said, I think Gamboa is beatable. Just don't think John can do it.

Comment

Originally posted by SluggerFan View Post
                  I think they really don't want the fight. Chris John is a serious threat to hand Gamboa his first loss. He even beat JMM which should tell you all you need to know. Some people claim JMM was robbed but as the article states, it was a close fight and JMM is far superior in skill than Gamboa. Top Rank doesn't want the fight, plain and simple...
                  I agree that John would be a threat, but, Gamboa brings a whole different skill set than JMM. Yes JMM is a superior technician, counter puncher and defensive fighter but he is not faster, does not hit as hard and does not have blazing foot speed to control distance. You could easily say that since Juarez vs John I was a draw that Gamboa would steamroll over John. Again, different comparisons.

Comment

Originally posted by El C@cique@PR View Post
                    OK, so why dont fight John in Idenesia if he draws there, I mean is not like Gamboa is a huge draw or anything.
                    haha u would love thaat wouldnt u, that would be a fokin robbery thats why im glad they are smart enough to not go to that death trap, when i heard john's manager say that he had agreed with arum to make the fight in indonesia with gamboa i tought wtf is arum thinking im glad they aint taking that bs fight if he wants a fight come to neutral ground beech

Comment

Chris John doesn't have the power, speed or physical stature to keep Gamboa off him. The version of "the dragon" that fought Rocky Juarez would be target practice for however long it lasts. Top Rank should be all over this fight, who cares if they have to go to Indonesia or overpay they need to increase Gamboa's marketability.

Comment

Working...
                      X