ESPN-Odlanier Solis has sustained serious knee injuries

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ny123 View Post
    How did he embarrass himself?
    If you talked mess before a fight, about what you were going to do to Vitali, then go out on something as silly as a knee injury in the first round of a boxing match, wouldn't you be embarrassed? Hell, I'm embarrassed for him....

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky Rode View Post
      His left leg was off balance, but you can see his right knee twist as he's going down. Probably because he put so much pressure on the right leg after the left one slipped.
      I think that's a very likely explanation. A sudden, unexpected shift in weight (and a lot of it) caused traumatic and immediate damage to the right knee.

Comment

Originally posted by Frogs! View Post
        one guy said "ko of the century".

i hope he was just being sarcastic.
        You know, I really try not to knock people's opinions. I've been wrong before, and I'll be wrong again. But some of these posts really amaze me. I've seen so many knockouts that hurt just to watch, so many that made me fear for the victim's life, that I'm stupefied at the reactions Vitali's "KO" against Solis is getting. It's evident that even Vitali didn't think he did any damage with that "shot".

Comment

Originally posted by Come∂ian View Post
          BERLIN -- Odlanier Solis has sustained serious knee injuries in his first-round knockout defeat by WBC heavyweight champion Vitali Klitschko on Saturday.

The 30-year-old Cuban was taken to hospital, where a scan revealed tears to his anterior cruciate ligament and external meniscus, as well as cartilage damage in his right knee.

The crowd in Cologne was disappointed by the 179-second bout. The fans booed and whistled for several minutes after it ended.

Klitschko said he's "sorry for the spectators. I don't fight for me, I fight for them."

The 39-year-old Ukrainian had delivered a right to Solis' left temple, when the Cuban wobbled back and fell on his back before clutching his knee.

It was Solis' first defeat in 18 pro fights. Klitschko improved to 42-2.
          I'm not sure that you "tear" your cruciate ligament, you break it. Also the meniscus and the knee cartilage are the same thing, Cartilage is the common word and meniscus is the medical term.

Comment

Originally posted by edgarg View Post
            I'm not sure that you "tear" your cruciate ligament, you break it. Also the meniscus and the knee cartilage are the same thing, Cartilage is the common word and meniscus is the medical term.

Yeah, whatever happened, his career is broken.

He's not going to ever get a Klitschko pay day again, and it's probably going to take him a long time to even come back.

Comment

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
              I think that's a very likely explanation. A sudden, unexpected shift in weight (and a lot of it) caused traumatic and immediate damage to the right knee.
              It began with the punch disassociating Solis from leg control, and his left ankle, from the foot down, refused to obey, whilst the rest of his body was falling backwards. His right kneee became involved because in automatically trying to compensate, a huge overload was placed on it when proper leverage was impossible.

Comment

Dude, you don't "break" ligaments. You tear them.

Comment

Originally posted by jreckoning View Post
                  Yeah, whatever happened, his career is broken.

He's not going to ever get a Klitschko pay day again, and it's probably going to take him a long time to even come back.
                  I pretty much agree. I've said several times that Solis embarrassed himself. The reigning, dominant champs may want beatable adversaries, but not opponents that can't even help put on a show. Too bad, Solis looked like he might've exceeded some people's expectations...before the bizarre ending....

Comment

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
                    I pretty much agree. I've said several times that Solis embarrassed himself. The reigning, dominant champs may want beatable adversaries, but not opponents that can't even help put on a show. Too bad, Solis looked like he might've exceeded some people's expectations...before the bizarre ending....

You know what I keep thinking. Remember Juan Carlos Gomez versus Yanqui Diaz.

Gomez came back from that. Maybe Solis can come back from this.

Comment

It began with the punch disassociating Solis from leg control, and his left ankle, from the foot down, refused to obey, whilst the rest of his body was falling backwards. His right kneee became involved because in automatically trying to compensate, a huge overload was placed on it when proper leverage was impossible.
                      I strongly question whether the punch "disassociated" Solis from leg control. I don't think it did anything but cause Solis to make a conscious decision to retreat. But I agree with the likelihood of the rest of your analysis.

Comment

Working...
                      X