No announcement yet.

Why Cotto(and certain other fighters) will not get into the IBHOF

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Cotto(and certain other fighters) will not get into the IBHOF

Theres been a lot of talks about so and so getting into the HOF lately. time to learn!

each year, only THREE boxers get into the HOF in the 'Modern' catagory: "Last bout no earlier than 1943". Which means all present day fighters would fall into this catagory.

They are voted in based on what they accomplished in the sport, and ALSO the impact they had on the sport.

here are some fighters that are still yet to be inducted in the HOF(but will be eligible by the time other present day fighters are eligible):
    Thomas Hearns, Manny Pacquiao, Floyd Mayweather, Oscar DLH, Evander Holyfield, Felix Trinidad, Bernard Hopkins, Roy Jones Jr, James Toney, Erik Morales, Marco Antonio Barrera, Juan Manuel Marquez, Wladimir Klitschko.
    and Ill stop there even though I could name plenty of other guys like Camacho, Nunn, Hamed etc that are 'possibles'.
    AND thats not even taking into account fighters from the past that are still yet to be voted in, but could be.

I can tell you right now that someone like Cotto or Martinez will not have priority and be voted in before the above. they will be passed by over and over again, and eventually new possible inductees will have started showing up as well.

so, athough the IBHOF is unpredictable sometimes, I find it very unlikely a lot of guys that people are talking about will get in.

Originally posted by blackirish137 View Post
    Theres been a lot of talks about so and so getting into the HOF lately. time to learn!

each year, only THREE boxers get into the HOF in the 'Modern' catagory: "Last bout no earlier than 1943". Which means all present day fighters would fall into this catagory.

They are voted in based on what they accomplished in the sport, and ALSO the impact they had on the sport.

here are some fighters that are still yet to be inducted in the HOF(but will be eligible by the time other present day fighters are eligible):
    Thomas Hearns, Manny Pacquiao, Floyd Mayweather, Oscar DLH, Evander Holyfield, Felix Trinidad, Bernard Hopkins, Roy Jones Jr, James Toney, Erik Morales, Marco Antonio Barrera, Juan Manuel Marquez, Wladimir Klitschko.
    and Ill stop there even though I could name plenty of other guys like Camacho, Nunn, Hamed etc that are 'possibles'.
    AND thats not even taking into account fighters from the past that are still yet to be voted in, but could be.

I can tell you right now that someone like Cotto or Martinez will not have priority and be voted in before the above. they will be passed by over and over again, and eventually new possible inductees will have started showing up as well.

so, athough the IBHOF is unpredictable sometimes, I find it very unlikely a lot of guys that people are talking about will get in.
    He should at least be considered and it will be their decision if they get him in or not at the end of his career.

Comment

Originally posted by coufsax View Post
      He should at least be considered and it will be their decision if they get him in or not at the end of his career.
      anything is possible, yes. he will be considered.
      and also Cotto's career is not over.

I just find it...quite unlikely.

Comment

Cotto will eventually get in. It's, for better or worse, not that difficult to get into the boxing hall of fame.

I agree it may take a while, but eventually there will be a lull in the classes and he will get the nod.

Reasons: He's built a very good resume, but maybe more importantly, he drew big crowds, has been part of big events, was in great fights, and carried himself with class.

I have zero doubt he will get in eventually.

Comment

He'll get in eventually, as will all the other guys you named with the possible exception of Wladimir.

Comment

He's got a lot of fighting ahead of him so how can you make that decision now? If he comes back and beats Margs and unifies at 154 he may very well beat out some of the guys on your list.

Comment

Originally posted by studentofthegam View Post
              He's got a lot of fighting ahead of him so how can you make that decision now? If he comes back and beats Margs and unifies at 154 he may very well beat out some of the guys on your list.
              even if he does unify 154(unlikely), you really think he would have priority over the above mentioned fighters? maybe Wladimir, possibly Marquez, but thats it.

Comment

I agree.

But like we discussed the other day, it's unpredictable really.

You would expect others to be inducted over Brian Mitchell too.

But overall I agree I can't see Cotto getting inducted but he definitely has a shot considering the history of the IBHOF.

Comment

Originally posted by blackirish137 View Post

You have to be retired for 5 years before being considered. All except one of the fighters you mentioned do not even meet the criteria.

Comment

thank god youre not allowed to give votes.

Comment

Working...
                    X