Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Myth: Weight Lifting is bad for Boxing...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Myth: Weight Lifting is bad for Boxing...

Anyone agree? Teddy Atlas was talking about Guerrero's opponent last night and he said that a proper strength and weight training is good....

Originally posted by King Ghidorah View Post
    Anyone agree? Teddy Atlas was talking about Guerrero's opponent last night and he said that a proper strength and weight training is good....
    no myth. too much weight lifting is bad for boxing. you want your muscles designed for more movement and speed than power. i mean its ok to weight lift, but not wise to overdo it.

Comment

Theres weight training and then theres Findley, who was pretty much a bodybuilder.

Every boxer does "weight training". You need it train and strengthen your muscles.

Guerrero's opponent was pretty much a body builder, huge thick arms and body. When you carry that much weight, you become slower, your arms are heavier and all that muscles is draining your oxygen.

Comment

Originally posted by DempseyRollin View Post
        no myth. too much weight lifting is bad for boxing. you want your muscles designed for more movement and speed than power. i mean its ok to weight lift, but not wise to overdo it.
        A fighter should be lean and limber, not tight.

Comment

you dont want big muscles in boxing,they slow you down and zap your energy..cause big muscles require alot of oxygen..if you lift. lift light weights doing high reps

Comment

just enough weight lifting... over developed muscles are bad for boxing. muscles need to contract-stretch at the right time.

Comment

Best wieght trainning for a boxer is to build the legs like Arriza did with Pacquiao. Your punching strengh comes from your legs not your arms

Comment

there's specific exercises with weights that are excellent for boxing-

deadlift, jump squats, turkish getups, good mornings, face pulls (especially), rows, tons of stuff with cables are a few.

you don't want to build mass as much as explosiveness with weight training in boxing. never maxing out weight wise, maybe repwise.

Comment

all martial arts trainers hate weight lifting. Why would you need to lift weights if you can do 1000 puch-ups?

Power punches cant land if you can see them coming.

Comment

boxing bodybuilder here.. the bigger i get, the more people i can **** up. thats what weight classes are for. if i were to cut down i'd still be strong for my weight and strength and power go hand in hand.. power is important, if you don't respect a guy's power you just walk thru him

there's no reason why you can't be strong and still have cardio/speed
                    Last edited by SkyKng; 02-19-2011, 12:24 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X