Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mayweather vs. Cotto post fight Thread -DON'T make new threads about the fight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jab, just watched Oscar vs Mayweather and hadn't seen it in quite a while and people saying Oscar stopped throwing his jab... He never threw it, he did in rounds 7 and 8 and he did great, personally I favor Floyd but I think Cotto has a better chance than I initially thought. He does everything Oscar did against Floyd, but better his jab has more power for sure. He throws it constantly, and he mixes it up with doubles/triples and feints. Floyd also leaves his belly open with his shoulder roll defense, Cotto should work the 1-2 the jab/right hand then occasionally when he gets Floyd on the ropes feint the jab, lazy right hand to get Floyd to turn and load up on a left to the gut.

Cotto is a well balanced fighter and he uses his brain. His pace is exactly how Floyd likes to fight as well 50-60 punches a round, with a majority of the punches being jabs. Add to that every boxer Cotto has faced he's beaten decisively (Malignaggi) or KO'd (Quintana, Judah, Foreman) not to mention he's never lost to an undefeated fighter. I think everyone expects Floyd to win but Cotto has a legitimate chance to win, not to mention it is at least A FIGHT being made that people want to see. Its 4-5 years too late but better late than never.

Comment

• Originally posted by JOM'S View Post
      although I wish we could have seen PAC-PBF this May, this fight with Cotto is a good fight for Mayweather definetly better than alvarez fight ...
      It will be an entertaining fight but the problem is we know who will win in the end. Cotto is already damaged goods. Right now he is a Blown up 154 where he is actually a natural welterweight who just aged to higher weight coz that's what old men have deal with when you age you gain more weight. All it says is that Cotto is Old and ready for the picking.

His mileage is about to be expired. last payday.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jack Napier View Post
        does it matter?
        Cotto's gonna get his fucking ass kicked no matter what he does
        So was it really necessary to come into the thread talking strategy if you have nothing to offer?

Comment

• He should pressure him, and work the body A LOT. A lot of movement too, can't be flat footed. Cotto fights well when he's the bully/aggressor so he should stick to that, I can't see Mayweather stopping him. A semi competitive UD for Mayweather.

Mayweather is going to tag Miguel a lot but I see Miguel having his moments. Also think Mayweather should throw variations then just the right lead, Miguel is very tenacious so just throwing the right lead and the occasional left hook will make it a long night for Mayweather.
          Last edited by Phil Ivey; 02-02-2012, 02:11 AM.

Comment

• jab to get close to Floyd and hit his shoulders, arms, body, to set-up the rare shots to the head. I always said to hit floyd in the shoulders and arms to attempt to beat him, that's Cotto's real chance. I see May walking Cotto down and drowning him in deep waters of the fight as the mighty rican begins to gas.
            Last edited by Unknown Champ; 02-02-2012, 02:10 AM.

Comment

• Ironically cotto's best chance is to channel his best antonio margarito impression.

He's gotta pressure pressure pressure and not worry about being countered because its gonna happen and often no matter what. The trick for cotto will be to anticipate which way floyd steps after he counters and cut him off so the potshotting looks far less impressive in the eyes of the judges

Comment

• Thank you Floyd for taking this challenge!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by The Weebler II View Post
                  How can Cotto beat Mayweather?

Should he take him on the inside like Ortiz tried?

or fight him on the outside like he did with Margarito?

Thoughts?
                  imho against mayweather cotto should fight inside and outside ...

Comment

• Originally posted by JmH Reborn View Post
                    So was it really necessary to come into the thread talking strategy if you have nothing to offer?
                    yes it was; opinion is Cotto stands no chance
                    he's not fast enough to land a heavy, clean blow on Floyd
                    his power, which isn't much at JMW anyway, won't matter for that reason
                    Cotto can't step out and jab
                    he jabs good when guys are coming to him, ala Tony and Mosley
                    he suire as hell isn't gonna counter his way to a win on Floyd
                    Cotto is pretty much fucked in this fight
                    he's selling his belt

Comment

• If Cotto had much quicker footwork he would have a much better chance imo

Comment

Working...
                      X