Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gayest shiet ever

Comment

• Originally posted by Very Rich Man View Post
      When Floyd started making his way out he didn't get alot of boos in the room. Then all of a sudden when the kid shows up on screen the everyone started booing the crap out of them.

Don't know why so many people hate that kid.
      because it's the cool thing to do......

Comment

• Originally posted by tyson View Post
        I think people are looking at the surface instead of the deeper level of the fighting science.

It's important to understand the logic behind most of the actions a top level fighter performs. Floyd is a master of the science of boxing, a real student of the finer details which eludes most people and fans alike.
        When you see Floyd being hit more regularly with sloppy jabs than normal, it's easy to think that "oh, he's slipping, that's not normal", naturally so.
        But since boxing is a science, there might be more to a fight and its actions than meets the eye.
        Let's take that jab-scenario and turn it upside-down for a bit;

We know that Cotto has a good peek-a-boo guard which makes him difficult to hit cleanly enough to stop him from coming at you. We know he keeps his chin tucked deep down in his chest, which makes his sweet-spot a difficult target indeed. We all know that a high-pressure fighter like Cotto is a gas-draining burden on your legs if left alone.
        How do you solve the riddle of opening his guard up enough for you to land clean, effective punches that are strong enough to make him think about putting even more pressure on you?

One way is to invite punches from him so that you can counter. But seeing as he will score more effectively than you if he is allowed to punch at you with his right hand with his chin buried behind his shoulder, you have to force him to use his left hand.
        Seeing as his left hook is his best punch, you probably would be wise not to invite that one home. And seeing as it's not really wise to invite uppercuts, your best bet will be to invite the weakest punch of them all; the jab.

What you want to do is to keep an open spot in your defense for the left jab only so you can fool it in. When it comes, you should be doing one of three things;

1. Pull your head to your right, on the outside of the jab, while pulling back a little with your back foot to create enough distance and then fire off a straight right over the top of the jab.

2. Counter directly with a jab to the rib-cage and then over the top with the right hand.

3. Or pulling your left shoulder towards your opponents' rib-cage and come up with a right uppercut from hidden waters. Especially effective against chin-to-chest type of fighters, like Cotto.

Now, I train my fighters with focus on details that most are ignoring/not noticing, and I tend to notice when details like that are being used by different fighters. And, to me, it was very clear that Floyd very often was inviting the jab in order to be more effective, at least in an effort vs pay-off kind of mindset. Normally he does it in the middle of the ring where he either pulls his head back/side just a little and then counters over the top, or pushes the jab down with his right hand before he shoots off a straight right from there in a smooth and fluid manner.
        With Cotto he couldn't do that because Cotto does two things that prevents it; he keeps his chin way too deep and he moves forward as he punches. In turn that will make the counter difficult to connect with and very ineffective, it will make it a huge risk of clashing heads as both fighters would be leaning forward and at last, it would make Floyd open for a left hook to the body if Cotto were to counter the counter.
        Which one should expect he would do, as a top level fighter.

For those reasons I sincerely believes Floyd found it most cost-effective to invite Cotto to the ropes where he could hit clean counters at will.

Sometimes there's more to things than what meets the eye.
        Points on the bolded:

1. Cotto is no longer the pressure fighter you described, not even close. As a matter of fact, I think this was an easier fight for Cotto because he was able to fight at a much slower pace. Floyd is a natural counter puncher and Cotto was able to move forward when he wanted and even move going backwards as he did in the middle rounds when Floyd was the aggressor. Cotto is no longer the pressure fighter you describe.

2. In the philly shell which is what Floyd uses, the punch that is most effective is the straight left, either as a jab or as a stiff hard straight left. The difference is that in the past, Floyd has avoided that exactly as you described, with his legs. That's why I think he's slowed down, because his legs were his biggest defense and he wasn't moving in and out of distance as he usually does.

3. He doesn't need to counter with a low jab since the right hand is there after he uses the shoulder roll, right hand combo.

4. Using the right uppercut would leave him wide open for a left hook and the reason he didn't throw it much except for in the last round. Floyd usually catches you with the counter right, jab or the left hook going backwards.

5> Lastly you are right in the last paragraph but Floyd would never "invite" anything, especially the jab since the jab is the most important shot in boxing. Floyd doesn't concede anything in a fight, Cotto took it.

He was able to land the jab because of lack of movement from Floyd's legs, that was my whole point. Floyd in the past moved so well in and out of distance that he could counter, catch and return shots by that in and out movement. He wasn't as active that way tonight as he was in the past, just look at the Hatton fight for example, he was MUCH more of a pressure fighter than Cotto was tonight on that night. Floyd has always been an amazing fighter off the ropes but he allowed Cotto to land more shots than usual.

It wasn't as complicated as you are making out to be, everyone gets older and father time is undefeated. I'm not saying Floyd is near finished but the decline has taken place and I think tonight was the first sign of it.

Comment

• Originally posted by AnimalisticMeth View Post
          Got to give props to Cotto and Pedro Diaz. i have no idea how they did it but to make Floyd hit only 26% of his punches and miss as many times as he did with his money punch the right hand was something else.
          Floyd tried to fight instead of box. When he fought, accuracy dropped. When he boxed, made it look maddeningly easy.

Comment

• When was the last time Floyd hit someone with only 26% of his punches?

Comment

• Mayweather only landed 26% of his punches? Wow, surprising.

Looked like more to me.

Cotto's face was a mess.

Comment

• Comment

• Bieb looked scared/nervous as hell. lol. It was weird too since Floyd gave him this "don't worry bout it" kind of look..and his attitude towards the walk in was kind of weird for me. He seemed too...playful? Floyd did...or is it just me?

Also, what's funny is that Floyd and Gamboa seem to be the smallest of them all, and gamboa looks like he's the "g" of the group lol

Comment

• the % was mostly because Mayweather Punch Output was significatly higher

Mayweather did not come to Out-Box Mayweather, he came to fight

both fighters deserve major props, it was an amazing fight, fans need to stop trying to find flaws during this fight and just appreciate the effort both fighters gave

Comment

• Cotto's defense was pretty damn good. His glove positioning changed so much over time. Remember when he would always pull off that one hand up near his forehead thing, despite not even being hit in that area? Mayweather had to put in extra work to even hit Cotto. He had to hook those rights to go around the gloves and I feel that Mayweather should have uppercutted more.

Comment

Working...
                      X