No announcement yet.

Mayweather vs. Cotto post fight Thread -DON'T make new threads about the fight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
    I'm telling you from round 1 I saw that Floyd looked a little bit slower, slower with his counter punches and was being hit easily at times with Cotto's jab.

Now I understand Cotto has a great jab but Floyd has faced many fighters with great jabs and wasn't hit this early.

He also stood against the ropes a lot, more than I have ever seen him. He likes to fight there but counters well and moves off, against Cotto he wasn't doing that as well I have seen him in the past.

Floyd is definitely in a decline. I didn't think so before this fight but he's slowed down, especially of foot.
    I think people are looking at the surface instead of the deeper level of the fighting science.

It's important to understand the logic behind most of the actions a top level fighter performs. Floyd is a master of the science of boxing, a real student of the finer details which eludes most people and fans alike.
    When you see Floyd being hit more regularly with sloppy jabs than normal, it's easy to think that "oh, he's slipping, that's not normal", naturally so.
    But since boxing is a science, there might be more to a fight and its actions than meets the eye.
    Let's take that jab-scenario and turn it upside-down for a bit;

We know that Cotto has a good peek-a-boo guard which makes him difficult to hit cleanly enough to stop him from coming at you. We know he keeps his chin tucked deep down in his chest, which makes his sweet-spot a difficult target indeed. We all know that a high-pressure fighter like Cotto is a gas-draining burden on your legs if left alone.
    How do you solve the riddle of opening his guard up enough for you to land clean, effective punches that are strong enough to make him think about putting even more pressure on you?

One way is to invite punches from him so that you can counter. But seeing as he will score more effectively than you if he is allowed to punch at you with his right hand with his chin buried behind his shoulder, you have to force him to use his left hand.
    Seeing as his left hook is his best punch, you probably would be wise not to invite that one home. And seeing as it's not really wise to invite uppercuts, your best bet will be to invite the weakest punch of them all; the jab.

What you want to do is to keep an open spot in your defense for the left jab only so you can fool it in. When it comes, you should be doing one of three things;

1. Pull your head to your right, on the outside of the jab, while pulling back a little with your back foot to create enough distance and then fire off a straight right over the top of the jab.

2. Counter directly with a jab to the rib-cage and then over the top with the right hand.

3. Or pulling your left shoulder towards your opponents' rib-cage and come up with a right uppercut from hidden waters. Especially effective against chin-to-chest type of fighters, like Cotto.

Now, I train my fighters with focus on details that most are ignoring/not noticing, and I tend to notice when details like that are being used by different fighters. And, to me, it was very clear that Floyd very often was inviting the jab in order to be more effective, at least in an effort vs pay-off kind of mindset. Normally he does it in the middle of the ring where he either pulls his head back/side just a little and then counters over the top, or pushes the jab down with his right hand before he shoots off a straight right from there in a smooth and fluid manner.
    With Cotto he couldn't do that because Cotto does two things that prevents it; he keeps his chin way too deep and he moves forward as he punches. In turn that will make the counter difficult to connect with and very ineffective, it will make it a huge risk of clashing heads as both fighters would be leaning forward and at last, it would make Floyd open for a left hook to the body if Cotto were to counter the counter.
    Which one should expect he would do, as a top level fighter.

For those reasons I sincerely believes Floyd found it most cost-effective to invite Cotto to the ropes where he could hit clean counters at will.

Sometimes there's more to things than what meets the eye.

Comment

• Originally posted by Carpe Diem View Post
      I don't think he had a choice. Floyd couldn't have fought any other ways even if he wanted to. He won and put a great performance, but he should really consider calling it career at this point. Cotto brought the best out of him, but i thought that Floyd could've performed better if he had moved away from the ropes more.
      nah man. Floyd looked extremely sharp in there. He has a few more fights to go.
      Originally posted by ny123 View Post
      Ok so Mayweather chose not to finish Cotto to come off as a good guy lmfao..Please stop your boy won just stop the bs its embarrassing.
      and you must be ******ed or have a reading comprehension problem..

Comment

• Originally posted by Antagonist View Post

Can't find one with all three lol
        Those three together prob worth half a billion

Comment

• When Floyd started making his way out he didn't get alot of boos in the room. Then all of a sudden when the kid shows up on screen the everyone started booing the crap out of them.

Don't know why so many people hate that kid.

Comment

• Originally posted by Very Rich Man View Post
            When Floyd started making his way out he didn't get alot of boos in the room. Then all of a sudden when the kid shows up on screen the everyone started booing the crap out of them.

Don't know why so many people hate that kid.
            It's gotta be because of his new "Swag" car man.

Comment

• Originally posted by 4Corners View Post
              Floyd still looked the same as he did in the Mosley/Ortiz fights. Not sure what people were looking at.
              I think thats what people arent realizing.

I mean Mosley vs. Floyd was the same Mosley who looked like **** against Mora, Pac, and now Canelo.

And the Ortiz fight we barely had anything to go off, just as things were starting to get going it just ended in a wacky way.

Comment

• Originally posted by tyson View Post
                I think people are looking at the surface instead of the deeper level of the fighting science.

It's important to understand the logic behind most of the actions a top level fighter performs. Floyd is a master of the science of boxing, a real student of the finer details which eludes most people and fans alike.
                When you see Floyd being hit more regularly with sloppy jabs than normal, it's easy to think that "oh, he's slipping, that's not normal", naturally so.
                But since boxing is a science, there might be more to a fight and its actions than meets the eye.
                Let's take that jab-scenario and turn it upside-down for a bit;

We know that Cotto has a good peek-a-boo guard which makes him difficult to hit cleanly enough to stop him from coming at you. We know he keeps his chin tucked deep down in his chest, which makes his sweet-spot a difficult target indeed. We all know that a high-pressure fighter like Cotto is a gas-draining burden on your legs if left alone.
                How do you solve the riddle of opening his guard up enough for you to land clean, effective punches that are strong enough to make him think about putting even more pressure on you?

One way is to invite punches from him so that you can counter. But seeing as he will score more effectively than you if he is allowed to punch at you with his right hand with his chin buried behind his shoulder, you have to force him to use his left hand.
                Seeing as his left hook is his best punch, you probably would be wise not to invite that one home. And seeing as it's not really wise to invite uppercuts, your best bet will be to invite the weakest punch of them all; the jab.

What you want to do is to keep an open spot in your defense for the left jab only so you can fool it in. When it comes, you should be doing one of three things;

1. Pull your head to your right, on the outside of the jab, while pulling back a little with your back foot to create enough distance and then fire off a straight right over the top of the jab.

2. Counter directly with a jab to the rib-cage and then over the top with the right hand.

3. Or pulling your left shoulder towards your opponents' rib-cage and come up with a right uppercut from hidden waters. Especially effective against chin-to-chest type of fighters, like Cotto.

Now, I train my fighters with focus on details that most are ignoring/not noticing, and I tend to notice when details like that are being used by different fighters. And, to me, it was very clear that Floyd very often was inviting the jab in order to be more effective, at least in an effort vs pay-off kind of mindset. Normally he does it in the middle of the ring where he either pulls his head back/side just a little and then counters over the top, or pushes the jab down with his right hand before he shoots off a straight right from there in a smooth and fluid manner.
                With Cotto he couldn't do that because Cotto does two things that prevents it; he keeps his chin way too deep and he moves forward as he punches. In turn that will make the counter difficult to connect with and very ineffective, it will make it a huge risk of clashing heads as both fighters would be leaning forward and at last, it would make Floyd open for a left hook to the body if Cotto were to counter the counter.
                Which one should expect he would do, as a top level fighter.

For those reasons I sincerely believes Floyd found it most cost-effective to invite Cotto to the ropes where he could hit clean counters at will.

Sometimes there's more to things than what meets the eye.
                Excellent post.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ekscape View Post
                  Those three together prob worth half a billion
                  50 alone is almost worth Half a billion .....

Comment

• Cotto's Defence

Got to give props to Cotto and Pedro Diaz. i have no idea how they did it but to make Floyd hit only 26% of his punches and miss as many times as he did with his money punch the right hand was something else.

Comment

• Originally posted by gmc_rfc_06 View Post
                      Floyd didn't look quite as sharp tonight as he did against Ortiz, he was razor sharp that night. I think that was largely down to Cotto being a much bigger guy on the night though. It was physical which is draining.

All in all, that was a great night for the sport and very much worth the money. Much respect to both guy's for a great fight. Anyway, it's 8am over here, I need a sleep.
                      Idk about that Ortiz is a huge WW. Idk how he ever made JWW to be honest

Comment

Working...
                      X