No announcement yet.

Mayweather vs. Cotto post fight Thread -DON'T make new threads about the fight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by craigus1990 View Post
    Floyd's gunna take centre ring and cotto is gunna box from arms length using the jab and uppercuts when mid range. Cottos gunna circle left and play the counter puncher. It will work for 3-4 rounds and then Floyd will go through the motions and win with a close fought UD. IMO!
    Floyd is not really known for his uppercuts that's why i think this fight becomes more intriguing. which makes the jab to the body trade off interesting. I do think this will be more of a boxing match though. But come mids rounds floyd will press, Cotto has been shook before and i think floyd knows his accuracy can do it again. that's why i think Cotto's head movement comes into play. He needs to have some energy reserve for defense... if he doesn't i don't think there will be a round 12.

Comment

• Originally posted by tredh View Post
      Not questioning your truth but where did you get that bold info from would love to read up on it myself. I am Bruce Lee fan espcially as a lil kid.
      There's a few interviews with Jesse Glover (his 1st student) and Bob Wall where each talk about the infamous Wong Jack Man fight in San Fransisco and Wall talks about a couple incidents on the set of Enter the Dragon. I'll try to find and post.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dudley View Post
        Floyd is not really known for his uppercuts that's why i think this fight becomes more intriguing. which makes the jab to the body trade off interesting. I do think this will be more of a boxing match though. But come mids rounds floyd will press, Cotto has been shook before and i think floyd knows his accuracy can do it again. that's why i think Cotto's head movement comes into play. He needs to have some energy reserve for defense... if he doesn't i don't think there will be a round 12.
        I'm talking about Cotto throwing uppercuts not Floyd.

Comment

• Originally posted by RL_GMA View Post
          There's a few interviews with Jesse Glover (his 1st student) and Bob Wall where each talk about the infamous Wong Jack Man fight in San Fransisco and Wall talks about a couple incidents on the set of Enter the Dragon. I'll try to find and post.
          Cool, thanks I hope you find them!

Comment

• Originally posted by craigus1990 View Post
            I'm talking about Cotto throwing uppercuts not Floyd.
            imo I think that would be a big mistake. Uppercuts at cotto's speed leaves him wide open. and in general i would never throw and uppercut against a guy who is fast and accurate. I think that's one punch to lave out of Cotto's game plane. No offense.

Comment

• Originally posted by krimzon View Post
              mayweather is even faster than bruce

both are articulate as well
              what??????????

Comment

I'm just curious what kind or strategy will Cotto try to use against floyd?

Imo if he tried to box/brawl he might have more successful results. but somehow I feel Cotto will be the one fighting off the back foot. If that's the case in the fight, Cotto could be effective in small busts. If it's consistent though, Cotto is in for a world of hurt.

The boxer style. He will have to setup the jab at times feint and try to lead more often. His main assault will be Jab/left hook to floyds body to set up a right hook to the head or straight right to head or body.

I think this is how Cotto will start. He has a pretty strong jab and i think he would be a fool to try to land on floyd up stairs early with it. the jab to Floyds body set's up subtle defense considering his head is low and floyds main target would be the top of his head. this wouldn't work well for floyd considering how fragile his hands.

The change up.

The Brawler style. I think he will have to try to work Floyd to the ropes using good footwork and a stiff jab to the body. once on the ropes i think he will try to flurry to the body and then back off letting floyd off the ropes ******** just a bit to each time to see if he can land an effective power shot. but not committing fully to each assault. I think once he get's a feel for him on the ropes and knows he have truly let loose he will be slightly more conservative in this approach.

defensively: I think allot will have to come down to great head movement and stamina. as soon as one starts to slip the other will follow, which could be a catastrophe in the game plan. Cotto needs to keep a real eye out defensively in this one. Also i do think there will be an element of sacrifice in this match and Cotto will be willing to trade 1 shot for one shot. For instance of floyd jabs to the body i think Cotto will try to trade with a left hook to the head or a straight right hand. It will be a calculated risk/reward. but it will not be in the flurries just single blows which can make Floyd hesitant to throw those specific shots he usually does.

All in all, imo, I think if he can implement something similar to this he can be successful. Truthfully, i see Cotto coming up short, but he can make it a tight fight. thoughts?
                Originally posted by Dudley View Post
                Floyd counters the jab to the body with this

Comment

imo I think that would be a big mistake. Uppercuts at cotto's speed leaves him wide open. and in general i would never throw and uppercut against a guy who is fast and accurate. I think that's one punch to lave out of Cotto's game plane. No offense.
                  exactly you can count the number of times Floyd has been hit with uppercuts in his career with one hand. That's the least effective punch against Mayweather due to his good positioning

Comment

• Originally posted by saul alvarez View Post
                    so you agree with forbes saying floyds on bruce lee's level? lol
                    I said nothing of the sort. I am making fun and light of the fact that elie is a major manny fan. Steve can say what he wants and is actually more qualified to say that.

Comment

• Originally posted by GrandpaBernard View Post
                      Floyd counters the jab to the body with this

true. very true. that's why i think the left hook will have to be the change up. If Cotto can break up the timing, i think floyds uppercut will be less effective. Also considering the distance that Cotto's throws the jab, I think the uppercut is less effective and becomes more of a glancing blow than a solid shot. so i think the more effective shot goes to the jab to the body. Floyds footwork and disrupt this though... so it's opened to a volley of variations.

Also Shanes jab and Cotto's jab are a completely different beast. Shane never commits behind it where cotto does.

Comment

Working...
                      X