Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mayweather vs. Cotto post fight Thread -DON'T make new threads about the fight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cotto is fighting for a payday. This is his cash out fight.

Does anyone remember the interview he gave when he said that he took the fight because they offered him a great deal and his has to think about his children and family? That right there tells me that he took the fight solely for monetary reasons. He knows that he is a heavy underdog and his chances of winning are slim to none. He's NOT going to outbox Floyd. His only option is to try and land something solid then go on full animalistic attack mode in hopes of scoring a KO. Even then he will have very little success given Floyd's masterful defense. I'll even make a prediction and say that if he loses this fight in embarrasing fashion that he'll call it a career. To my understanding, he owns around 10 gas stations throughout PR and is making around $15mil for this fight. If invested correctly, he can live very comfortable for the rest of his life.

Your thoughts?

Comment

• **insert name here** is fighting for a payday.

Think that applies to every fighter.

Comment

• I thought they weren't getting paid for this fight?

Comment

• Comment

• Floyd Mayweather vs. Miguel Cotto: Cotto Is 6-0, 5 KO Against Undeated Fighters

Carlos Maussa (20-5, 18 KO) was 17-0 as well at the time he met Cotto in Puerto Rico. Maussa fought bravely but was outboxed and being beaten to a pulp by Round 8 when the fight was stopped on cuts.

Pinto was 21-0 at the time with 19 knockouts under his belt. Cotto was 20-0 at the time with 16 knockouts, but Pinto was destined to become his 17th as Cotto wore him down with consistent work to the body.Pinto had defeated Cotto*twice when they were in the amateurs, but Cotto showed Pinto that this was professional boxing and a lot had changed.Pinto was aggressive and even able to outbox Cotto in pieces of the fight, but Cotto's relentless, accurate hooks to the body dropped Pinto three times throughout the fight en route to a TKO in Round 6.

Cotto faced his next undefeated fighter, Richard Torres (33-2, 29 KO), who arrived as a late replacement for Gianluca Branco (45-3-1, 23 KO).Branco only had one loss to the late great Arturo Gatti (40-9, 31 KO) at the time. A hand injury would prevent Branco from facing Cotto in 2005. Cotto would get his chance to knock Branco out next year.Branco's replacement*proved to be the biggest test of Cotto's career to that point. Torres' right hand hurt Cotto repeatedly throughout the night, even dropping Cotto in the second round.Cotto had never been down before in his professional or amateur career. Torres repeatedly hurt Cotto during the fight with his right hand.Had there been a different referee that night, Cotto possibly would've been stopped in the second round. The punishment he took was that intense, but Cotto fought through it to drop Torres four times.Torres was dropped with a flurry that was punctuated by a left uppercut to the chin in Round 7 that ended it all.*

Cotto engaged in his final junior welterweight (140 lbs) battle vs. Malignaggi (30-4, 6 KO), a trash-talking Brooklyn native who had an undefeated record of 21-0 to Cotto's 26-0.
            Malignaggi broke Cotto's six-fight knockout streak by surviving to lose a*unanimous decision*that was surprisingly close with scores of*115-112, 116-111, 116-111.

Cotto makes his welterweight (147 lbs) debut against fellow Puerto Rican Quintana (28-3, 22 KO) who was 23-0 at the time. The fight was for the vacant WBA welterweight world championship. Though Quintana would get up to survive the round, his refusal to come out for Round 6 ended the fight by TKO. Quintana showed that Cotto could be outboxed, but that it's hard to do so without being*worn*down.

Cotto fought at junior middleweight (154 lbs) for the first time against WBA world champion Yuri Foreman (28-2, 8 KO). The fight took place at the Yankee Stadium and would be a night to remember. In Round 8, Foreman's trainer threw in the towel, but the referee wouldn't allow the trainer to*halt the bout. The fight continued until Round 9 as Cotto dropped Foreman with a left to the body that ends the fight.
            (I went to this fight)
            Last edited by -jose-; 03-29-2012, 11:45 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
              **insert name here** is fighting for a payday.

Think that applies to every fighter.
              Yes but the reward has to outweight the risk. Do you think Cotto would have taken the challenge had he been offered something like $3mil? He's making enough off of this fight to call it a career if he takes a serious beating.

Comment

• doesnt mean cottos not gonna try and put floyd through hell to win.

Comment

• Cotto's always been about his business. But he's not gonna do a "job" for Floyd. He's going in to win.

Comment

• I think I speak for everyone when I say....

"Woop de ***in do"

Comment

• Originally posted by KING MEAT View Post
                      doesnt mean cottos not gonna try and put floyd through hell to win.
                      Oh of course not. I'm not saying that he's gonna lay down for Floyd and collect a paycheck at the end of the night. He will try his best to be victorious. What I'm saying is, deep down inside he must know that his chances are very slim and he has accepted that due to the large monetary reward he will be receiving. In this case, the reward outweighs the risk for him and he's willing to take it. I do think he will call it a career if he gets destroyed though.

Comment

Working...
                      X