Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mayweather vs. Cotto post fight Thread -DON'T make new threads about the fight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10oz, 8oz, makes no difference IMO (as far as Floyd is concerned). Floyd even at Welterweight isn't the strongest puncher. He's accurate which if you add up all the punches (similar w/ Cotto) they take their toll. Floyd could've used 8oz gloves against Oscar and I still think the outcome would've been the same. If anything, it helps his speed more than what his punching power is really going to deliver.

Comment

• Cotto better put on some 8oz Reyes gloves! WAR Cotto!

Comment

• What brands do both guys use again?

Comment

• Originally posted by Rip Chudd View Post
          Someone should of asked why he didn't "Chop up Marquez" with 8 oz gloves
          He wanted to use pure boxing skill not POWER to defeat the smaller Marquez. I have no doubt that Mayweather could have walked JMM down but nobody would have given him credit for that. As a boxing fan I appreciated the technical brilliance that Mayweather displayed vs Marquez without forcing his size and strength advantage.

Boxing isn't just about knockouts and brawls. Nobody has ever made Juan Manuel Marquez look like a novice in the squared circle. Not even Pacquiao has done that in 3 fights in 8 years.

Comment

• Originally posted by RL_GMA View Post
            What brands do both guys use again?
            @ your Peyton Sig......

what would be awesome is if he comes to Miami and get a super bowl...Marion would piss his pants.

Comment

• haha a catchweight on the gloves!

Comment

• Originally posted by Atreyu Khalil View Post
                He wanted to use pure boxing skill not POWER to defeat the smaller Marquez. I have no doubt that Mayweather could have walked JMM down but nobody would have given him credit for that. As a boxing fan I appreciated the technical brilliance that Mayweather displayed vs Marquez without forcing his size and strength advantage.

Boxing isn't just about knockouts and brawls. Nobody has ever made Juan Manuel Marquez look like a novice in the squared circle. Not even Pacquiao has done that in 3 fights in 8 years.
                Don't kid yourself, Floyd couldn't KO Marquez even if he wanted to.

Comment

• The only way I see Mayweather knocking out Cotto is if he sucker punches him. I highly doubt that Cotto will be dumb like Oritz was and allow that to happen.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheKza View Post
                    Don't kid yourself, Floyd couldn't KO Marquez even if he wanted to.
                    When did I say he could KO Marquez? I don't recall typing that in my previous post. Don't put words in my mouth, what I said is that he could have walked him down meaning forced his strength, size, reach and power advantage on him like he did with Mosley. Mayweather was not aggressive in that fight because nobody would have given him credit for that kind of performance.

Now being that Mayweather was coming off a 19 month layoff and completely made the Great Marquez look like he had never boxed a day in his life. Marquez landed %12 of his punches. He threw almost 100 more punches than Mayweather but landed 200 less. Thats phenomenal IMO especially coming against who many claim to be the best Mexican fighter of this generation.

Comment

• Originally posted by RL_GMA View Post
                      10oz, 8oz, makes no difference IMO (as far as Floyd is concerned). Floyd even at Welterweight isn't the strongest puncher. He's accurate which if you add up all the punches (similar w/ Cotto) they take their toll. Floyd could've used 8oz gloves against Oscar and I still think the outcome would've been the same. If anything, it helps his speed more than what his punching power is really going to deliver.
                      I think that's probably the key point. Utilising his speed advantage is possibly part of the reason Mayweather was cool with fighting a 154lb slower version of Cotto too.
                      Last edited by Weebler I; 03-07-2012, 02:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X