No announcement yet.

Mayweather vs. Cotto post fight Thread -DON'T make new threads about the fight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by laudium View Post
    Now people gonna say Floyd is getting older, thats why Cotto looked good, blah blah blah.

Floyd said he fought Mosley and they were both in their thirties, he fought De La Hoya and they were both in their thirties, he fought Cotto and same thing, PAcquaio is in his thirties, Cotto is the same, Cmon Floyd - Fight Pacquaio then give Cotto a rematch then hang em up.

Its a win win situation, millions of dollars to be made........ and even if he loses to Cotto in a rematch or to Pacquaio, it will be because he is over the hill - much like Oscar and Shane were when they fought him.... The ongoing cycle in boxing.
    so you are saying a fighter should allow himself to lose at the end of his career knowing he isnt the same fighter? lol

every fighter makes their own decision when they want to retire, you can never blame a fighter for getting out of a business like boxing as tough and demanding as it is. especially if hes 35 and built a great legacy already.

mosley and DLH made their choice, i think any reasonable person would agree it was a bad one, atleast in mosleys case. and btw, the ongoing cycle of boxing doesnt require that the older fighters get beat in the ring just that the younger ones take over. getting out at the right time is a smart move.

then you talk about a fighters thirties like theres no diffrence between 39 and 31. bottom line is out of pacquiao, floyd and cotto floyd is the oldest even though they are all in their thirties. not saying hes the most spent just saying you shouldnt pretend they are all the same age bcuz they arent.

cotto fought well but i dont see the point of a rematch unless cotto does something significant in his next fight. i think floyd wants nothing more than to beat the snot out of manny and then retire, but since arum wont allow it and there arent many other big fights out there retirement might be the best option.

Comment

• Originally posted by El Angel View Post
      How did you score it man? I wanna how Money's fans saw this fight.
      I gave 4 rounds to Cotto the night of the fight, rewatched it again and gave him 3, rewatched it again, and I can see arguments for giving Cotto anywhere from 2-5 rounds really. Many close rounds, but still behind.

Cotto DLH and Castillo have given Floyd the most trouble so far. I doubt Manny gives Floyd as much trouble as Cotto did.

Comment

• Id rather see mayweather fight a couple more times to cash out for retirement checks, than to retire and come back and catch a beating just for money.

Cotto/manny/martinez then retire.

(and i do realize a rematch with cotto would probably produce the same result, im just not against entertaining competitive fights. May would also get another nice check from this fight).

Comment

• I see no point in a rematch with Cotto, where Floyd won a wide UD, unless Cotto were to beat someone like Bundrage for a title this fall, and than Alvarez in the spring, then a rematch next fall 2013.

There's no need for rematches if the fight wasn't close.....

Comment

• Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
            When will people learn that boxers age differently?

Floyd at 35 is much different than Marg at 35. There is no age, it's about miles on the tires.
            There are different ways to get "miles", though.

In the case of Margarito and Vargas, it's because they have been punched silly and been in wars.

In the case of Hatton, it's because he has abused his body and all that yo-yo dieting.

In the case of Pernell, it was the drug use.

Is it possible that Floyd is aging because he worked so hard for so long? When you add up all of Floyd's lifelong training and work (ams, O's, pro, etc), that is alot of work on his joints and muscles.

His reflexes may be sharp... but his body breaks down from all the repetitive work.

Michael Jordan was aging at 36-ish.

Roy Jones always took care of his body...and he was def slipping physically at 35+.

Comment

• Pacquiao, Martinez, or retire.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gino Ros View Post
                There are different ways to get "miles", though.

In the case of Margarito and Vargas, it's because they have been punched silly and been in wars.

In the case of Hatton, it's because he has abused his body and all that yo-yo dieting.

In the case of Pernell, it was the drug use.

Is it possible that Floyd is aging because he worked so hard for so long? When you add up all of Floyd's lifelong training and work (ams, O's, pro, etc), that is alot of work on his joints and muscles.

His reflexes may be sharp... but his body breaks down from all the repetitive work.

Michael Jordan was aging at 36-ish.

Roy Jones always took care of his body...and he was def slipping physically at 35+.
                He would be able to stay in shape and be ready for fights like hes been doing but he won't have the reflexes anymore? D:

Comment

• Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
                  Pacquiao, Martinez, or retire.
                  If Sergio does indeed fight Julio or Lee in October, and if (and it's a big if at this point) Floyd does fight in December, who should he fight??? We know Pac probably isn't happening, and Sergio isn't fighting 2 months later no matter what anyone says. Who should he fight then???

Comment

• I didn't see Cotto do much more than land a few more jabs than usual like DLH did. In fact, Cotto did better with his jab than DLH did, DLH just had some early success offsetting Mayweather while Cotto's jab caused some blood and is overall stiffer as his power hand. Other than that, it was a typical Floyd fight vs a determined competitor similar to Chavez, Augusts, Castillo, DLH, Hatton and Ortiz.

What mad it look rough is the fact that Floyd comfortably remained on the ropes and chose to trade as well as one of those stiff jabs bloodying his nose. No point did he get hit with something to clean to stun. He took risks in the pocket.

Sometimes fans don't realize that the training these guys go through takes its toll and sometimes it isn't always about retiring because "they don't have it anymore". Some fighters have other ambitions and as Floyd has said plenty, he doesn't want the sport to retire him. He doesn't want to keep going until he's knocked out or beat up. I think that's smart as we don't want to keep seeing more Ali and McCallum like results.

Comment

• Floyd has always kept himself in phenomenal shape, has amazing fundamentals and hasn't absorbed much in the way of damage during his career. He could fight until he's 40 if he chooses and fight at an elite level.

Comment

Working...
                      X