Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mayweather vs. Cotto post fight Thread -DON'T make new threads about the fight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Watching it live I had it 7-5 (likely influenced by the Crowd cheering for every punch Cotto threw despite many of it not landing, plus Lampley over-reacting to flurries that wasn't landing)

after watching it again ALONE...I had 9-3 Mayweather

much respect to Cotto though, he fought TOUGHER the the score indicated though but you can't reward a fighter for hitting mostly Elbows and Shoulders and then landing a few Jabs in between...why Mayweather was coming with Combos I haven't see him throw in years...Mayweather Right Hook and Left Uppercut was landing most of the night

so yes Cotto EFFORT and RELENTLESSNESS no question made it look like a much closer fight to your Average/Casual Fan but when they would slow those flurries down, nothing was landing clean and certainly not that was doing any serious damage

Comment

• Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
      If Cotto thinks he won then that's pretty sad.
      Shane has a better claim to winning his fight with Cotto than Cotto has for winning vs Floyd.

...and Shane didn't pull a complete hissyfit.

Comment

• What's really interesting is this is the first fight in which Floyd could not solidly work out his opponents weakness. Floyd usually has these guys figured out after about four rounds, wonder how he missed the fact that both Margarito and Pac found uppercuts to be Cotto's weakness yet it took Floyd till round 10-11 to figure this out? Cotto was competitive the WHOLE FIGHT, lots of close rounds and Cotto came on strong in the middle to late rounds but he is still just under the elite level and it showed.

Comment

• Haven't been able to rewatch it yet. Been busy with school work and FedEx is overnighting my slow motion device I just ordered off pacland, should be here in the morning. Should be able to give a real response tomorrow some time.

Comment

• 10-2 Mayweather.........................

Comment

• Originally posted by mesher View Post
              What's really interesting is this is the first fight in which Floyd could not solidly work out his opponents weakness. Floyd usually has these guys figured out after about four rounds, wonder how he missed the fact that both Margarito and Pac found uppercuts to be Cotto's weakness yet it took Floyd till round 10-11 to figure this out? Cotto was competitive the WHOLE FIGHT, lots of close rounds and Cotto came on strong in the middle to late rounds but he is still just under the elite level and it showed.
              I think mayweather was well aware of the uppercut, even going into the fight. I saw him commit to it a few times before in the early rounds of the fight, even to the point of switching southpaw and trying to counter with the uppercut, like zab did.

But ya, thats a good point that i didnt think about. He couldnt really find anything signature to use on cotto. His lead right was never there, his swooping right was there for a bit, but then cotto took that away, he found success later with the uppercut again but cotto kinda took it away as well. Just a great fight.

Comment

• Originally posted by LoadedWraps View Post
                Me and several friends and gym-mates rewatched it several times today. We all pretty much scored Cotto even lower than the first time. Floyd is just so fast, you really have to take a few looks to truly appreciate his finesse, precision, and defensive prowess.
                This. I just rewatched it and I noticed a lot of great shots and combos I missed the first time I watched it. Floyd's work is subtle and Cotto's has big heavy head which doesn't snap back when you hit it so punches look less effective than they really are.

Originally posted by silentscoper View Post
                The first time I watched it I thought Floyd's decline was worse than when I watched it again.
                Same here. For the first 7 rds he looked the same as usual but from the 8th rd on, he started to look a bit winded and his hands and reflexes were slower than usual. I thought he was clearly past his prime but now I might have to reconsider, it's possible that the pain from the injury kicked in at the late stage of the fight. Kinda like what happened to Ward against Froch.

Originally posted by TX_BOXNG View Post
                last night drunk i scored it 9-3 n was open to 8-4, watched today n i scored 10-2
                Same exact story except the drunk part.
                Last edited by Light_Speed; 05-06-2012, 11:03 PM.

Comment

• first time i watched it i had cotto winning 3 rounds after watching it again i have cotto winning 2 rounds

Comment

• Originally posted by Atreyu Khalil View Post
                    Cotto landed a few low blows and even tried to slam him like he did clottey......lol

Cotto was punching with power and mayweather ate his best shots....Floyd staggered Cotto multiple times throughout the fight
                    I saw one time in the 12th he hurt him. What multiple times are you referring to?

Comment

• I am a confessed Pac fan, but more so a fan of Boxing!!!

PBF won this fight in a canter for mine. Yes Cotto showed heart but he never looked in control of the fight.

Having said that, get PBF and Pac in the ring! Get rid of Arum as he is just scared of losing another cashcow, Fight at Welter as I don't even think there should be supers or lights or whatever, have the blood tests up until 6 weeks (FOR BOTH FIGHTERS!!!!), build a temp stadium in LV, earn ****loads AND GIVE US WHAT WE WANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X