Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Roy Jones Jr. Reaches Deal With HBO For Permanent Slot

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Act of mercy from HBO to stop him fighting?

I really hope so, the man’s a living LEGEND but he shouldn’t keep getting licenced.

He’s a great commentator anyway, hope that’s enough of the limelight for him?

Comment

Originally posted by ThePhantom5 View Post
      NEW YORK – Roy Jones Jr. has reached an agreement with HBO Sports and will rejoin the network as permanent expert analyst on the late-night HBO BOXING AFTER DARK series, it was announced today by Rick Bernstein, senior vice president and executive producer, HBO Sports.

[Click Here To Read More]
      i guess rjj is gonna start attending meetings now

Comment

Originally posted by Manny_ate_myDog View Post
        Act of mercy from HBO to stop him fighting?

I really hope so, the man’s a living LEGEND but he shouldn’t keep getting licenced.

He’s a great commentator anyway, hope that’s enough of the limelight for him?
        I want him to stop fighting too, but why wouldn't he get licensed? He's still capable of handling himself in the ring. He went 12 rounds with Hopkins his last time out. Yes his skill and abilities have deteriorated, but he's head and shoulders better than some 32-26-9 bum that gets licensed. I just want him to care about his self and his legacy.

Comment

Good for Roy. I think I like Antonio Tarver better as a commentor but Roy is not terrible. My favorite of all time, however, was Chick Hearn when he used to call fights at the Fabulous Forum. He would say some of the stupidest **** and have me on the floor laughing. I remember an early Genaro Hernandez fight being called by Hearn and Rubin Castillo and Hernandez just knocked down a guy in the third round and here's how the commentary went:
          Castillo: Oh, he went down hard!
          Chick: He's not going to get up!
          Castillo: He got up!
          Chick: What a fool!
          That, along with Tarver referring to Froch as Crotch are some of the funniest moments I ever heard (along with Ferdie Pachaco calling Razor Ruddock "Ruddock Buttock")

Comment

RJJ being active in boxing, without being a fighter, sounds good...

Comment

Originally posted by lechamp View Post
              I don't see what's so great about it? Roy doesn't even have a good voice for commentary.

I would choose Lennox over him any day of the week.

Comment

Originally posted by savorduhflavor View Post
                Great news. Only way it could be better is if he took Kellerman's spot on WCBs and PPV's.
                Bad news.
                Now we get to hear R.J recite the upcoming HBO line up of crap with his sincere lack of commentating generalship and focus.
                Kellerman is the finest fistic deconstructionist in the game right now. He is lucid, honest, literate and often profound regarding a "sport" that is quickly disolving into a novelty act.
                If they think that bringing Jones to the table for Pac/Mosely is a step up, they are once again fooling themselves but not those of us who have been around the game awhile.

Comment

good 4 him....
                  he's great as an analyst

Comment

I don't understand what the f*** Roy says half the time, but this is better than seeing him continue to fight.

Lennox Lewis was the best boxer-commentator IMO.

Comment

I'm glad. George Foreman and Roy Jones were the best HBO has had. Now they need to ****can Kellerman. Whoever said Lennox was good should go shoot himself right between the eyes..

Comment

Working...
                      X