Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In your opinion could Fernando Vargas have been a great?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i think he could had a great career if he wouldnt have fought tito at the time he did. he wasnt ready 4 that. he fought his balls off but in doing so, he knocked like 5rs off of his career.

Comment

Yes he could've been, he was great A class boxer, had power, stamina, all the right tools but he thought he was a gangster or whatever so thats what messed him up...

Comment

Not fight Tito? I always felt he was a couple ticks slower after that fight and even slower when he fought Oscar. A far cry from the guy who fought Quartey. Simply put, that fight shortened his shelf life and slowed his mechanics, reflexes. The definition of ruining a fighter.

Comment

I believe he would have beaten Delahoya if he had not tooken a beating from Cast wrap Trinidad who cheated in the fight with those wraps that were made much harder than Margaritos. Hopkins exposed Trinidad as a cheat and he was never the same without those wraps

Comment

Originally posted by Luilun View Post
            I believe he would have beaten Delahoya if he had not tooken a beating from Cast wrap Trinidad who cheated in the fight with those wraps that were made much harder than Margaritos. Hopkins exposed Trinidad as a cheat and he was never the same without those wraps
            ahahahahaha... What Nasim did was mindfck Tito with the wrap BS. Tito's wraps as per the inspectors were in fact legal in every other state and it was simply a matter of technicalities that pertained to that SPECIFIC state. Tito lost when he moved up to fight the bigger guys e.g. Hopkins, Jones and Wright. Get over it, he whooped Vargas like a kid and taught him that making mean tough guy faces at the weigh in mean sht when you get knocked the fck out.

And yeah genius, EXTRA gauze is harder than Plaster.... Another South of the border refugee.

Comment

Originally posted by Plaster...Sad. View Post
              ahahahahaha... What Nasim did was mindfck Tito with the wrap BS. Tito's wraps as per the inspectors were in fact legal in every other state and it was simply a matter of technicalities that pertained to that SPECIFIC state. Tito lost when he moved up to fight the bigger guys e.g. Hopkins, Jones and Wright. Get over it, he whooped Vargas like a kid and taught him that making mean tough guy faces at the weigh in mean sht when you get knocked the fck out.

And yeah genius, EXTRA gauze is harder than Plaster.... Another South of the border refugee.
              ahahaha ^^^^ epic!!!!!

Comment

I don't think it makes a difference because if he DIDN'T fight guys like Tito or Oscar, who was there to give him the victory which would've put him in a category of being called "Great"?

Comment

Originally posted by RL_GMA View Post
                  I don't think it makes a difference because if he DIDN'T fight guys like Tito or Oscar, who was there to give him the victory which would've put him in a category of being called "Great"?
                  yup, thats the best way of putting it. but also, he had to much mexican bravado which made him think he could simply win by ko his opponent. great fighter but a very dumb fighter.

Comment

Originally posted by RL_GMA View Post
                    I think the real issue is that he was rushed to Trinidad too early...he would have had to face him eventually if he wanted to be great, but perhaps he could have been given more time to mature.

I dont entirely buy it though. Vargas never seemed to me to be a fighter who would stay disciplined in the long run. Maybe he could have done a little better, but not much more.
                    And somehow... Duran beating Leonard is an indication of Duran beating Trinidad?

Somehow Tito getting caught in one fight against Stephens, and coming back to KO him points to a Duran Victory over Tito??

Duran being excellent at body punching means nothing as Tito has never been known to suffer from body shots. Not only that, I can only imagine the left hooks Tito will be countering to Duran's jaw when Duran goes to the body.

Duran being the tough guy that he is, would try and go toe to toe with Tito which at 147, he can do with Leonard but with Tito, I think is a BIG mistake.

It's my opinion, kinda like you think Tony Thompson is the greatest of all time... I call it like I see it. Nothing to do with flags or bias, I just think Tito is a bad match-up for Duran no matter how you tried to paint it in your 3 posts.

Yes Duran beat "the better fighters" at 147, I just don't think he gets past Tito.
                    Duran beating Leonard shows that he could beat the best of Welterweights.

and yes, it obviously points to a Duran win when journeyman Stephans can drop and hurt Trinidad with a right hand quite similiar to what Duran often threw, but better.

Being an excellent body puncher means nothing? just because Trinidad never showed particular weakness to the body doesnt mean that body punching doesnt have effect on him. Body punches can kill any fighter, and Trinidads long lanky body would be pretty easy to hit.
                    Duran was excellent at evading left hooks, he would either dodge under them and if not he almost always had his right arm glued to his chin, blocking the left hook. Its very difficult to counter with a wide left hook like Trinidad had when the action is happening in very close quarters.

besides, if an extremely flush left hook from Iran Barkley couldnt put a past prime Duran away, I seriously doubt a Welterweight version of Trinidad could put away a prime Duran, even if one did slip through.

just because I like Tony Thompson doesnt mean Im blind about him. Hes very obviously not the best of all time, hes not even a top 50 Heavyweight of all time probably.
                    I dont possibly see how Trinidad is a bad matchup for Duran. He was a puncher that liked to mix it up, didnt throw a huge amount of punches, and had a shaky chin. Almost sounds like a made to order win for Duran.

Comment

The guy had great boxing skills but did not use them enough. He tried to brawl like JCC but did not have the power or jaw to fight that way. Too bad could of been one of the greats!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X