Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Amir Khan Weathers The Storm To Avoid Disaster in Vegas

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Amir Khan Weathers The Storm To Avoid Disaster in Vegas

By Jake Donovan - Amir Khan rode an early lead to avoid disaster down the stretch in taking a narrow decision over Marcos Maidana in their 12-round junior welterweight bout Saturday evening at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas.

Scores were 114-111 (twice) and 113-112 in favor of Khan.

The general consensus going into the fight was that Khan would box and Maidana would brawl. However, it was the lanky Brit who made his presence felt early, scoring with a right and left to the body that floored Maidana in the opening round. The Argentinean beat the count, but winced in pain the entire time as well as on his way back to the corner.

From there, the table was set for a shootout, much to the pleasure of those who feared that Khan would try to turn a fight into a boxing match. The crowd wasn’t exactly capacity (estimated at less than 4,000) but was vocal in their support of Khan, with many among those in attendance having made the trek from jolly old England.

Khan, to his credit, did everything to keep the crowd entertained early on. The onslaught continued in the second with a brilliant boxing display, though Maidana managed to sneak in a body shot at rounds end. [Click Here To Read More]

Less then 4000 people?

Seeesh

Comment

Amir "I have no chin" Khan....I wonder if he will still be calling out Mayweather.

It was Maidana VS Khan/Cortez.

Comment

Originally posted by Russian Crushin View Post
        Less then 4000 people?

Seeesh
        It was just under 5,000 to be precise. Great atmosphere though!

Comment

Originally posted by £-4-£ View Post
          It was just under 5,000 to be precise. Great atmosphere though!
          Still

A college hockey game between Mich and Mich state gets 114,000 fans and Khan-Maidana gets 5000?

Comment

Can't fit a stadium that big into a Las Vegas Hotel...

Fight was sold out. The rematch would sell 15,000+ imo.

It would sell out a football stadium in the UK (>30,000)

Comment

Maidana = Balls of Steel
              Khan = Balls of Steel

I don't know why everyone is hating on Cortez, saying he was favoring Maidana. Come on people, Maidana was throwing rabbit punches and even elbows, plus Cortez was giving **** to Khan as well for pushing Maidana.

Anyways amazing fight.

Comment

Originally posted by £-4-£ View Post
                Can't fit a stadium that big into a Las Vegas Hotel...

Fight was sold out. The rematch would sell 15,000+ imo.

It would sell out a football stadium in the UK (>30,000)
                I don't think it was sold out. I read there was less than 5,000 in attendance on ESPN, a shame since it was a great fight. Those damn vuvuzelas made the crowd so damn loud. The rematch will definitely sell-out like you said.

Comment

Originally posted by Russian Crushin View Post
                  Still

A college hockey game between Mich and Mich state gets 114,000 fans and Khan-Maidana gets 5000?
                  114,000?! Where at exactly?

Comment

Originally posted by thegonzo View Post
                    Maidana = Balls of Steel
                    Khan = Balls of Steel

I don't know why everyone is hating on Cortez, saying he was favoring Maidana. Come on people, Maidana was throwing rabbit punches and even elbows, plus Cortez was giving **** to Khan as well for pushing Maidana.

Anyways amazing fight.
                    **** from cortez to khan dont mean **** if there's no point deduction like he did to maidana. cortez knows how to stink a fight with his ugly mug. deserves a rematch with smoger as the third man in the ring..

Comment

Working...
                    X