No announcement yet.

Top 5 Heavyweights of All Time

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by americanbot View Post
    how is shavers a joke? i think prime shavers would beat any current heavyweight of today including both klits.....

shavers was probably the hardest hitting heavyweight in the history of the sport......

VERY UNDERRATED.

Shavers was a good fighter and a murderous puncher but besides Norton he lost every other big fight he was in as well as to some sub par fighters. Jerry Quarry was a much better second tier fighter from that era and surely ranks higher all time than "The acorn". No disrespect, but Shavers doesn't belong anywhere near an all time top ten list unless the topic is punching power.

Comment

how is shavers a joke? i think prime shavers would beat any current heavyweight of today including both klits.....

shavers was probably the hardest hitting heavyweight in the history of the sport......

VERY UNDERRATED.
      it is not Shavers who is the joke

the joke is to put him in a top 10 AT hw

I suggest you take a look at Boxingscene rankings AT, it will give you an idea of what a good ranking looks like...

Comment

Originally posted by BatteredKessler View Post

I suggest you take a look at Boxingscene rankings AT, it will give you an idea of what a good ranking looks like...
        Problem is that alot of the lists here include Tyson, Wlad, and Vitali in the top 5...ridiculous nut hugging is rampant here.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post

Shavers was a good fighter and a murderous puncher but besides Norton he lost every other big fight he was in as well as to some sub par fighters. Jerry Quarry was a much better second tier fighter from that era and surely ranks higher all time than "The acorn". No disrespect, but Shavers doesn't belong anywhere near an all time top ten list unless the topic is punching power.
          WAIT A SEC. you have guys in this very thread putting wlad in their top 10 ATG list & you take heat with me for putting SHAVERS as number 10 in MY list? ARE MY EYES DECEIVING ME? jerry quarry GREATER then shavers? hahahahahaha!!! quarry may have beat shavers but he wasn't greater then shavers. shavers knocked out norton. took holmes to the limit. & gave ali ALL he could handle. quarry beat shavers. thats it. shavers actually gave his greatest opponents a run for their money. in quarrys case he never came close to giving A guy like ali a run for his money. shavers has a lot of knock out losses because he would fight any & everyone. & the heavyweight division back then was DEEP DEEP with talent. shavers also stayed in the sport too long. the fool started off fighting in the 60's & retired in 95 smh

looking back @ my list i forgot johnson.
          Last edited by americanbot; 11-04-2010, 02:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BatteredKessler View Post

why would i take a look at boxingscenes rankings when the name of the game is what is YOUR atg list. not whatever "boxingscenes" all time great list is.....thats also gonna be mines.

Last edited by americanbot; 11-04-2010, 02:08 AM.

Comment

WAIT A SEC. you have guys in this very thread putting wlad in their top 10 ATG list & you take heat with me for putting SHAVERS as number 10 in MY list? ARE MY EYES DECEIVING ME? jerry quarry GREATER then shavers? hahahahahaha!!! quarry may have beat shavers but he wasn't greater then shavers. shavers knocked out norton. took holmes to the limit. & gave ali ALL he could handle. quarry beat shavers. thats it. shavers actually gave his greatest opponents a run for their money. in quarrys case he never came close to giving A guy like ali a run for his money. shavers has a lot of knock out losses because he would fight any & everyone. & the heavyweight division back then was DEEP DEEP with talent. shavers also stayed in the sport too long. the fool started off fighting in the 60's & retired in 95 smh

Yeah Earnie got caught, simple as that. I would pick Earnie 2 out of 3 against Quarry, Quarry got that one. He came out cocky and started getting very very sloppy looking for a one round KO and got wasted. Shavers best was when he was fighting the best though, that extra motivation. ALi, Holmes, and Norton Shavers probably beats the likes of Wlad, post prison Tyson, and the like. Not so sure about Vitali.

Comment

Originally posted by XionComrade View Post
                Yeah Earnie got caught, simple as that. I would pick Earnie 2 out of 3 against Quarry, Quarry got that one. He came out cocky and started getting very very sloppy looking for a one round KO and got wasted. Shavers best was when he was fighting the best though, that extra motivation. ALi, Holmes, and Norton Shavers probably beats the likes of Wlad, post prison Tyson, and the like. Not so sure about Vitali.
                you're right...

also to add. if the same Shavers who showed up against ali & holmes showed up against vitali. i would definitely pick shavers over vitali. shavers did well with guys who tried to keep distance behind jabs. & a determined FOCUSED shavers was a scary site.
                Last edited by americanbot; 11-04-2010, 02:29 AM.

Comment

Guys putting either Klitschko in their top 10 at this point aren't even worth responding to.

Shavers 5 biggest wins were Ellis, Roy Williams, Norton, a 7-3 Jimmy Young and Joe Bugner.

Quarry's biggest wins were Patterson, Foster, Lyle, Mathis and Shavers.

Advantage Quarry.

Shaver 5 notable losses were Quarry, Stallings, Lyle, Ali and Holmes.

Quarry's were Norton, Ali, Frazier, Chuvalo and Ellis.

This is a bit closer but Shavers loss to journeyman Stallings clearly stands out. Giving the advantage again (jmo) to Quarry.

Quarry also never had a problem with stamina and had a much more durable chin. Combine that with his ko of Shavers and he should clearly be ranked ahead of Earnie in my opinion.

Either way Shavers doesn't belong near the top 10, my friend.
                  Last edited by JAB5239; 11-04-2010, 02:40 AM.

Comment

ali
                    louis
                    moore
                    patterson
                    tyson

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post

Guys putting either Klitschko in their top 10 at this point aren't even worth responding to.

Shavers 5 biggest wins were Ellis, Roy Williams, Norton, a 7-3 Jimmy Young and Joe Bugner.

Quarry's biggest wins were Patterson, Foster, Lyle, Mathis and Shavers.

Advantage Quarry.

Shaver 5 notable losses were Quarry, Stallings, Lyle, Ali and Holmes.

Quarry's were Norton, Ali, Frazier, Chuvalo and Ellis.

This is a bit closer but Shavers loss to journeyman Stallings clearly stands out. Giving the advantage again (jmo) to Quarry.

Quarry also never had a problem with stamina and had a much more durable chin. Combine that with his ko of Shavers and he should clearly be ranked ahead of Earnie in my opinion.

Either way Shavers doesn't belong near the top 10, my friend.
                      1st thing. both of these guys lost to journeymen at some point. you can't compare how many journeymen these guys lost to because shavers has like 20 more fights then quarry.

as far as chins go. you keep saying that shavers got knocked out how ever many times but jerry has been knocked out 6 times vs shavers 7. but shavers has 20 more fights then jerry so the risk naturally is higher for shavers. NOT a fair comparison.

now i know that doesn't determine the hardest chins alone but it gives you something to think about.

you can't just claim that jerry is better then shavers all because he knocked out shavers in the 1st round. who knows WHAT that rematch would have looked like? who knows if that wasn't just a lucky 1st round knock out. thats like me saying since shavers knocked out norton & norton knocked out jerry. that means shavers is automatically greater then jerry.

also you have to mention how both fighters DID against their greatest opponents.

shavers greatest opponents were ali holmes norton & jerry.

shavers took ali to HELL, shavers took holmes to HELL. shavers knocked out norton. but suffered a 1st round knock out defeat to jerry.

jerrys greatest opponents were fraizer ali norton & shavers.

jerry of course knocked out shavers but was knocked out by the other 3.

OPEN AND CLOSED CASE......

i have shavers as my number 10 because i feel he was a really good talent. A underrated talent.
                      Last edited by americanbot; 11-04-2010, 03:23 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X