Whats better? SPEED or POWER?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by carrbobandweave View Post
    Sweet Pea didn't have much power....
    wow thanks for exposing yourself as complete boxing noob. you never seen sweet pea fight did you? He had good pop, that cat would wail on people

Comment

Originally posted by etlux View Post
      wow thanks for exposing yourself as complete boxing noob. you never seen sweet pea fight did you? He had good pop, that cat would wail on people
      He didn't have much power man, it was his speed and accumulation of punches that did the damage. He certainly didn't have one punch power by any stretch of the imagination.

Oh, and nice Toney over Couture bet you have there at the bottom...noob.

Comment

A lot of power has to do with speed (velocity) and accuracy (hitting the chin, liver, sternum etc)

Even guys like Jackson and Foreman, not known as speedy boxers, had a very high velocity on their punches as well as heavy bones and a lot of strength.

Comment

Power

my reasons are numerous

for one thing the "fight" part of "fight sport" matters more to me, in fact i dont like any other sports.. ending the fight is the point, even though i know fight sports are a far cry from real fights i like the styles that are relevant to both. in a normal fight the ability to end it in 1 single movement isnt just one aspect, its the only aspect. There's always that "it takes 18 or whatever pounds to knock someone out" statistic but those are hypothetical, instant pressure, on the button figures, if you have power the bullseye grows exponentially.

2, power is more reliable, guys with speed have more off days, i feel lightning fast one day then sluggish and hour later because i havent eaten recently enough or something. Guys with power never seem to really lose it, even old men who had power once upon a time will punch you on the shoulder and you can tell they had it.

3 I find that speed comes after power. The main thing that hurts speed is nerves, once those tighten up you slow down and get stiff. Once you KNOW you have enough power to end it in one hit you loosen up a lot and speed sort of comes naturally. Just like a good violin teacher will make a student practice very slow, perfect fingerboard technique making sure he's powerfully pressing the strings. Once he realizes he can do it and it's in his nerve/muscle memory, speed comes naturally and effortlessly. Students who are taught to play up to full tempo off the bat almost always develop a nervous "light touch" that makes them sound sloppy and its notoriously the hardest habit to correct.

im of course assuming the question is a matter of, would you rather have average speed and excellent power or average power and excellent speed.

what craps all over both speed and power? accuracy, with accuracy, thats the master skill IMO
          Last edited by Toe Injury; 10-30-2010, 01:19 AM.

Comment

whats the use of having power if you have no speed to connect????!?!?!

Comment

i'd rather have kevin jesus.

Comment

Originally posted by Blooper View Post
                i'd rather have kevin jesus.
                yea hes a nice guy

Comment

NO speed? then you shouldnt be boxing

same if you had NO power

but for the sake of debate we should be talking about

average speed and excellent power
                  VS
                  average power and excellent speed

Comment

Power is better just look at paulie he has speed but looses when ever he steps up. Speed is only good if you have great defensive skills like mayweather or pernell. But if you have power people would respect you in the ring.

Comment

btw g-dogs, thx for coming up with this thread.

this topic has NEVER been discussed before.

Comment

Working...
                      X