No announcement yet.

Why didn't Floyd go for Cotto at 154??

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by -pound4pound- View Post
    and since Cotto was stopped by PAC, there went the 'one-upping' part of Floyd's motivation
    Yup, that's what I said originally.

With Marquez, even though he was blowing him up, Pac arguably lost to him twice, so beating Marquez meant something.

It's literally not possible to beat Cotto more convincingly than Pac did, so there is no incentive for Floyd.

Comment

I dont see Mayweather fighting any Arum fighter until they settle their dispute..

Comment

Originally posted by The Gambler1981 View Post
        Bob Arum to me would be the main reason with Roger's status being another factor at first, now with his charges Floyd has more on his mind.

I think Cotto is a big enough star that he could help earn Floyd enough money over some random guy so that the fight would appeal to him. Although if he took that fight before he fights Manny he would be opening himself up to a lot of critics (Manny's left overs, and if he didn't beat him worse than Manny lol just imagine what would get said).

If Cotto can keep winning I think he finds himself in good position for Floyd though, if Floyd can get passed Manny (possibly even if he can't).
        I see what ur saying too,but then,can someone really say Cotto is Manny's left overs without sounding hypocritical,think about it!!After all Floyd beat DLH at 154 & ko'd Hatton 1st!!

Comment

Originally posted by Di Bushbaby View Post
          I see what ur saying too,but then,can someone really say Cotto is Manny's left overs without sounding hypocritical,think about it!!After all Floyd beat DLH at 154 & ko'd Hatton 1st!!
          People around here say hypocritical things all the time, especially when it comes to dogging Floyd.

Comment

Originally posted by The Gambler1981 View Post
            People around here say hypocritical things all the time, especially when it comes to dogging Floyd.
            I know,I myself am a big Floyd critic,but i've come to realize that he has done some great things inside the ring(on occasion)that is,lol!!

Comment

floyd just fought a month ago...he won't go after any fighter until next year.

Comment

Originally posted by savorduhflavor View Post
                A lot of reasons.

Bob Arum

Floyd's legal situation.

Cotto already got blown out by Pacquiao. It's not like with Marquez, where Floyd would be somewhat proving a point by clearly beating Marquez which Pac couldn't do. How could Floyd beat Cotto more convincingly than Pac did?

Floyd could make good money fighting almost anyone, so I don't know what the motivation would be for Floyd.
                makes no sense. cotto would beat up jmm at any weight 140 and above, and that's where floyd is fighting. so cotto is more of a risk than jmm, especially 147-154.

Comment

Originally posted by Di Bushbaby View Post
                  I know,I myself am a big Floyd critic,but i've come to realize that he has done some great things inside the ring(on occasion)that is,lol!!
                  Well Floyd is not above criticism, especially on non boxing related issues.

Most of the stuff people come at him in relation to boxing is pretty weak though, and if any fighter they like is put under the scrutiny they put Floyd under they get bent out of shape.

It is real simple if people give credit where credit is due as opposed to constantly degrading what certain guys do this board would be a lot different and probably a lot more pleasent.

Comment

floyd doesn't fight people from puerto rico

Comment

Puerto Rico is too far away.

Cotto needs to develop a fanbase (he gave that excuse on ESPN in a non-Brian Kenny Q & A session from fans).

But the real reason is two words: Bob Arum.

Comment

Working...
                      X