Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why didn't Floyd go for Cotto at 154??

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why didn't Floyd go for Cotto at 154??

Floyd should have gone after Cotto's title at 154,that would have been a legit fight!!Floyd is a full sized welterweight,he should have done it!!We all know Floyd doesn't need catchweights to fight at 154,that would have been a slammin move!!

Cotto still lives in Puerto Rico

Comment

A lot of reasons.

Bob Arum

Floyd's legal situation.

Cotto already got blown out by Pacquiao. It's not like with Marquez, where Floyd would be somewhat proving a point by clearly beating Marquez which Pac couldn't do. How could Floyd beat Cotto more convincingly than Pac did?

Floyd could make good money fighting almost anyone, so I don't know what the motivation would be for Floyd.

Comment

Originally posted by savorduhflavor View Post
        A lot of reasons.

Bob Arum

Floyd's legal situation.

Cotto already got blown out by Pacquiao. It's not like with Marquez, where Floyd would be somewhat proving a point by clearly beating Marquez which Pac couldn't do. How could Floyd beat Cotto more convincingly than Pac did?

Floyd could make good money fighting almost anyone, so I don't know what the motivation would be for Floyd.
        What he said ^

Comment

A lot of reasons.

Bob Arum

Floyd's legal situation.

Originally posted by Dominicano Soy! View Post
          What he said ^
          Well in my opinion arum uses Cotto as his scape goat anyway,so I honestly don't see him turning down a co-promotion for that fight!!

Being a two time 154 pound champ,should he win is quite the motivator no??I never said anything about him beating Cotto more convincingly than Pacman,he wouldn't need to in my opinion,but taking the title from a champ at 154 is some credible **** though!!

Comment

Originally posted by Di Bushbaby View Post
            Well in my opinion arum uses Cotto as his scape goat anyway,so I honestly don't see him turning down a co-promotion for that fight!!

Being a two time 154 pound champ,should he win is quite the motivator no??I never said anything about him beating Cotto more convincingly than Pacman,he wouldn't need to in my opinion,but taking the title from a champ at 154 is some credible **** though!!
            But that's not how Floyd looks at it. Floyd doesn't give a **** about titles. He cares about money and one-upping Pac.

Comment

But that's not how Floyd looks at it. Floyd doesn't give a **** about titles. He cares about money and one-upping Pac.

and since Cotto was stopped by PAC, there went the 'one-upping' part of Floyd's motivation

Comment

Bob Arum to me would be the main reason with Roger's status being another factor at first, now with his charges Floyd has more on his mind.

I think Cotto is a big enough star that he could help earn Floyd enough money over some random guy so that the fight would appeal to him. Although if he took that fight before he fights Manny he would be opening himself up to a lot of critics (Manny's left overs, and if he didn't beat him worse than Manny lol just imagine what would get said).

If Cotto can keep winning I think he finds himself in good position for Floyd though, if Floyd can get passed Manny (possibly even if he can't).

Comment

Hmmm,I see ur point to an extent,but beating Cotto for his title that he earned & doing it at the limit(whether Floyd comes in at the full 154 or not),has got to count for something,after all Cotto is a real champion there!!

Comment

I think Arum would work with Floyd, I don't think Floyd wants Arum to get anything from his fights if he has his way.

Comment

Working...
                    X