Collapse
No announcement yet.

Only idiots think fighters 60 years on back would be competitive today

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is like comparing the 1st Ford invented against a Super Snake. But that doesn't take the value of the old car because without that 1st Ford It wouldnt' be a Super Snake Mustang today.
    The comparason is out of content.

Comment

Your right, I can't see how some of these old timers can be so overrated in terms of what ability they actually had as to where they would "dominate" today according to some.

That said they fought the best comp available in their time even if it was inferior to the comp today and the best fighters from past eras deserve a great deal of respect.

Comment

Guys, SRR was a beast and would be competitive today, nobody is denying that. But would he be the unify champ today? Maybe maybe not. Look at the sports history of all sports and you will see each sport evolves so the best 100m swimmer in 1950 would get destroyed by a level b swimmer today.

Sports evolve and technology evolves and decade by decade the competition is way better. Now in 100m 200m running the diffirence is milliseconds, thats how close the competition has gotten.

People always think OLD = better but its not true. Imagine if you drop a Klitschko into the ring in the 1920-1930's, they would all be cruiserweights getting owned and not having a chance to get a round. Same thing in 40 years, the boxers would be heads and shoulders above Klitschko's because they evolve the sport to make it better. They take whats good and improve it.

Comment

Originally posted by Medved View Post
          Yep, I made a topic about this earlier and people bashed me for me calling the ATG fighting bums, the technology, the science, everything is better today. This goes for ALL sports.

Compare the 100m times 60 years ago with todays times.
          Compare basketball players
          compare swimmers.

I dont know why people get so fantasized about all the old guys like they were ATG. They were fighting in a era where there was no drug testing and bribery/corruption was common place. Very few boxers made a living and most fought working class joes who were out of shape fighting for booze money.
          the thing is though basketball players , swimmers , etc. compete almost the same way as before.

about the same amount of games/matches/competitions.

not so for boxing.

fighters from before would fight 200-300 times. today's fighters fight 50 times or so.

so the old fighters have tons more experience plus it helps compensate for the more archaic training when they're fighting all the time even if their training is not as modern.

one could argue a guy that is always in shape because he fights twice a month is not that handicapped against a guy who only fights 2-3 times a year and not in training all the time even with all his trainers and modern training.
          Last edited by Left Hook Tua; 09-15-2010, 01:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chups View Post
            That's the reason why ATG list is all about the resume......not skills. 100 years from now with advance in nutrition and technology, boxers will be better than the fighters of today.
            1000 years from there'll be aliens boxing with 4 arms.

i don't think even ali can cope with that.

Comment

Originally posted by Hous View Post
              given their condition. Our fighters today are bigger, stronger and faster then they ever were. Why? Because they aren't goinghave into it alone now, now they have researchers (nutritionist, fitness experts) who conduct research to find the most positive results. This allows them to find the maximum balance of muscle to body frame / weight for strength and speed. They now have tapes to study and research other fighters methods in detail. Fighters back then didn't have this luxery. Science makes the difference.

Humans make fables about the past neglecting logic, its natural.
              it's also pretty convenient for a fighter nowadays to fight once or twice a year. Back then, these dudes were fighting every couple of months.

Some would even fight weeks apart.

There may not be a comparison scientifically, but based on pure fighting heart, there is no comparison...and yes i do believe many fighters of old would beat the dog **** out of some of today's fighters. Science or no science, based on talent alone.

Comment

Originally posted by Left Hook Tua View Post
                the thing is though basketball players , swimmers , etc. compete almost the same way as before.

not so for boxing.

fighters from before would fight 200-300 times. today's fighters fight 50 times or so.

so the old fighters have tons more experience plus it helps compensate for the more archaic training when they're fighting all the time even if they're training is not as modern.

one could argue a guy that is always in shape because he fights twice a month is not that handicapped against a guy who only fights 2-3 times a year and not in training all the time even with all his trainers and modern training.
                The level of competition was way lower back then, most guys who were fighting were fighting for booze money and had a real time job. Very few made it a career. The reason the best fought alot is because they didnt get hurt and were way better than their competition because they dedicated their time to boxing instead of working full time. Drop Tyson/Wlad/Lewis against C level working guys like those on Prizefighter and they can fight two fights a week. But put them into a match where they get hurt and beat up their body needs weeks to heal to get back to 100%.

The reason they fought so much was for the cash

Comment

I agree.

Roberto Duran, George Foreman, Alexis Arguello, Marvin Hagler, etc. today would be another brick thrower, they just arent as good boxers as they are today.

I do think though that some guys, like Leonard, Locche, Benitez, Ali, or anyone that could really box and move, would win today too.

Comment

Originally posted by Left Hook Tua View Post

not so for boxing.

so the old fighters have tons more experience plus it helps compensate for the more archaic training when they're fighting all the time even if they're training is not as modern.

there's the arguement, jorge castro has 140 odd fights doesn't he?
                    has'nt done much for him, all he has going for him is his incredible durability, like most of the old timers

Comment

One of the few threads I agree with Horus...

I just think today boxers are more advance with nutrition, medical , and fitness training..

Comment

Working...
                      X