No announcement yet.

The difference between Boxing and MMA

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BMD View Post
    You had a good post. I can agree with almost everything. Boxing is great, but in order to be a complete FIGHTER, you have to complete your fight game. Boxers are amazing punchers, but they are severely lacking in other areas of fighting.

I like both sports. But I take issue with people who talk trash about MMA saying that boxers would just walk in and beat mixed martial artists in a fight.
    I can understand that. I hate when either set of fans badmouths the other sport when they usually have not taken the time to appreciate the "opposing" sport. I love ground game, I'm a huge amateur wrestling fan in the sense that what I've seen, I enjoy thoroughly.

In terms of the "fighter" tag, while I get what you're saying, I also think that most boxers simply use the term differently. I think when a boxer calls himself a "fighter," he's talking about his spirit. He fights for the win. At the end of the day, neither athlete is a fighter. Actual fighters use weapons, other people and they don't train for it.

One is a boxer, the other is a mixed martial artist. Both should be appreciated and respected, simply for different reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by TPhenom01 View Post
      You have the audacity to say that boxing isn't fighting like other MMA elitist dumb****s from the Underground Forum & Sherdog who are wildly misinterpreting the outcome of last night's freak show bout, and then you ask for boxing fans to be civil while "debating" with you?

There's an MMA subforum at this site. If you want to talk MMA with other MMA fans, I advise you go there. If you're just trying to incite responses from boxing fans, you're not going to get very far.
      I didn't mean it like that. I'm just saying that the distances, footwork, stances, and certain techniques would only work in a boxing match, and not necessarily in a real fight.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard king View Post
        Are you really that ****** boxing is more realistic in how a real fight would go.you are acting like the adverage person has some knowlege on ground fighting. everbody knows stand up weather they are good at is another story. my boxing training have ended real fights with the quickness and against multiple people having boxing skills vs mma is much more useful. i like to see some mma pro but me in a choke hold and watch me bite chunks out of his arm and see if he dont let go or poke his dam eyes out with my fingers. knowing any type of mix martial arts is only good if you are fighting one on one,so its usless against multiple oppents.
        You are acting like kickboxers don't compete in MMA. You are acting like Kickboxing, Muay thai, and boxing isn't a part of mixed martial arts. Why are you acting like the only thing MMA is is wrestling?

Saying MMA isn't useful against multiple opponents? And boxing is? You are acting like MMA fighters can't kickbox against multiple attackers.

But in all honesty, against multiple attackers, your best bet is to run.

Comment

I like both sports. But I take issue with people who talk trash about MMA saying that boxers would just walk in and beat mixed martial artists in a fight.
          If you took the time to look around various boxing forums and listen to interviews from those in the boxing community prior to the fight, there was virtually no one claiming that boxers would walk into a sport they've never competed in and knock everyone's block off.

Did you see the press release where every boxer picked Couture to win easily (including Cotto, Malignaggi, Khan, Haye, etc.)?

The interviews where boxing trainers (Roach) and promoters clearly explained the UFC's business strategy in terms of setting up the Toney/Couture bout? Completely ruling out the possibility of a Toney victory?

You're taking issue with few, if any, people who genuinely believed a pure boxer could walk into MMA and win an MMA fight? Well boxing fans are going to take issue with ignorant claims from people like you who say boxing isn't fighting, which is beyond ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by AKATheMack View Post
            Only difference is that if your boxing it means their is action laying on top of an opponent for 15mins is not action.
            Standing on your feet isn't always action packed.

And 90% of wrestlers don't lay n pray. It's a few who give wrestling a bad rep.

Comment

If you took the time to look around various boxing forums and listen to interviews from those in the boxing community prior to the fight, there was virtually no one claiming that boxers would walk into a sport they've never competed in and knock everyone's block off.

Did you see the press release where every boxer picked Couture to win easily (including Cotto, Malignaggi, Khan, Haye, etc.)?

The interviews where boxing trainers (Roach) and promoters clearly explained the UFC's business strategy in terms of setting up the Toney/Couture bout? Completely ruling out the possibility of a Toney victory?

You're taking issue with few, if any, people who genuinely believed a pure boxer could walk into MMA and win an MMA fight? Well boxing fans are going to take issue with ignorant claims from people like you who say boxing isn't fighting, which is beyond ridiculous.
              All I hear from boxing guys is "MMgay". And how a boxer could knock an MMA guys block off.

And I'm not saying that boxing isn't fighting. I'm saying that boxing is only a small part of fighting. Boxing in a boxing match isn't fighting... it's just punching.. it's just boxing. Boxing is a tool of fighting. It's like calling wrestling fighting. Is wrestling fighting? By itself? No. It is a tool of fighting.

MMA as a sport, is the sport of fighting. You can use MOST fighting tools, and diciplines.
              Last edited by BMD; 08-30-2010, 12:26 AM.

Comment

You are acting like kickboxers don't compete in MMA. You are acting like Kickboxing, Muay thai, and boxing isn't a part of mixed martial arts. Why are you acting like the only thing MMA is is wrestling?

Saying MMA isn't useful against multiple opponents? And boxing is? You are acting like MMA fighters can't kickbox against multiple attackers.

But in all honesty, against multiple attackers, your best bet is to run.
                are you ****ing kidding me lets be realistic here you use your mma skills against 3 people and while ass on the ground beating one guy the other two guys will be crushing your dam head in. so yes boxing is a hell of alot more realistic then mma. think about it the adverage person is going to fight one way and that is stand up. like i said the adverage person will be punching until one moron falls then they probly start kicking or stomping their ass their is your mma part of it you happy now

Comment

All I hear from boxing guys is "MMgay". And how a boxer could knock an MMA guys block off.
                  Top Boxers Predict Couture vs. Toney Bout

Freddie Roach: UFC Booked Couture-Toney to Make Boxing Look Bad

There were very, very few people in the boxing community (most of whom were in Toney's camp) who had misconceptions about what would happen in the Couture/Toney freak show fight.

Comment

And I'm not saying that boxing isn't fighting. I'm saying that boxing is only a small part of fighting. Boxing in a boxing match isn't fighting... it's just punching.. it's just boxing. Boxing is a tool of fighting. It's like calling wrestling fighting. Is wrestling fighting? By itself? No. It is a tool of fighting.

MMA as a sport, is the sport of fighting. You can use MOST fighting tools, and diciplines.
                    no one has ever called wrestling fighting

Comment

Top Boxers Predict Couture vs. Toney Bout

Freddie Roach: UFC Booked Couture-Toney to Make Boxing Look Bad

There were very, very few people in the boxing community (most of whom were in Toney's camp) who had misconceptions about what would happen in the Couture/Toney freak show fight.
                      I hear boxing fans talk **** all the time about MMA.

Comment

Working...
                      X