Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Specific problems wtih (amateur) boxing...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 120 View Post
    the scoring system is the only problem with the amateurs
    The ONLY problem? USA boxing is more political than congress.

Comment

Originally posted by ICEMAN JOHN SCULLY View Post
      it is also terrible that you get some people involved as officials who...are not FIGHTING based people...they lik ethe kids, they like boxing, thwey want to help out..they become referees and are told to make sure no one gets hurt....so they give out 8 counts when a guy is hit with a really clean shot, ONLY because he got hit with a real clean shot...three 8 counts in a fight and the match is terminated...the problem is that it is still FIGHTING...you stil have to fight the other guy...when I was an amateur I saw some GREAT amateur bouts and they were great because the referees werent so quick to jump in and hand out 8 counts to grown men who just caught a good shot on the side of his headgear...
      Yeah, I saw some of that in the Olympics, where a guy would get hit by a clean shot but didn't look hurt at all, the referee went and gave the guy that got hit a standing 8 count anyway.

Amateur fights were great in the 80s weren't they? I remember watching some of the amateur fights that happened back then and they were really great, if they were pro fights they would've gotten consideration for FOTY. Nowadays, the amateur fights are really hard to watch, I don't really bother with them anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Silencers View Post
        Yeah, I saw some of that in the Olympics, where a guy would get hit by a clean shot but didn't look hurt at all, the referee went and gave the guy that got hit a standing 8 count anyway.

Amateur fights were great in the 80s weren't they? I remember watching some of the amateur fights that happened back then and they were really great, if they were pro fights they would've gotten consideration for FOTY. Nowadays, the amateur fights are really hard to watch, I don't really bother with them anymore.
        Check out some local shows. The skill level might not be as high, but the kids always go hard.

Comment

Originally posted by rj_ct View Post
          Check out some local shows. The skill level might not be as high, but the kids always go hard.
          I used to but I don't live in the States anymore so I haven't been to a boxing show in a while. You're right though, the local guys who have nothing to lose go at it.

Comment

Let me be clear on something...one of th ebest amateur fights I have ever seen (Jones-McClellan in 1988) would have been stopped several time spon an RSC (TKO) for both guys at some point if certain referees I've seen were doing the bout..those guys BOMBED each other with sizzling combinations...I have seen guys get hit with ONE single shot and get standing 8's...RJ and G-Man hit each other with profesional type laser beam combos and it went the whole distance...the best amateur fight I was in, 1987 with Robert Perez (he beat Michael Moorer two fights earlier) was an awesome bombs away affair that drew a standing ovation...I'm glad we fought when we did because we would have been given TWENTY eight counts if we fought today lol...I need to youtube that fight...

Comment

Originally posted by Silencers View Post
              they too often resemble fencing and not boxing...I suppose it is BOXING the way it was originally intended to be done...but the lack of action on top of the ridiculous computer scoring is RUINING the game!!!!
              Last edited by ICEMAN JOHN SCULLY; 08-30-2010, 10:33 AM.

Comment

PS: As a result of all this, you likely will never again be able to predict future boxing greatness based on amateur crednetials...winning the gold medal isnt proof of fighting superiority now as much as it is proof that the winner knows how to box under the scoring system currently in place...

Comment

Hello Skully,

I totally understand your negative feelings towards amateurs... I am a Registered and Lv. 1 Certified Boxing Coach, i just took my exam last month... I would like to think i know my fair share of the game, but i am in no position to be the head coach. I work underneath some long time amateur boxing coaches and there are a lot of ups and downs in the amateurs...

The scoring system isn't that bad IMO because it is only 3 rounds and the object is to simply score points; however, the lack of experience in the judges or referees is a very huge problem. Ringside Worlds was a perfect example of that. The flip side however, there is a massive shortage in volunteers.. So you get what you get... Most people don't realize there isn't any salary involved for 90% or more of amateur coaches, refs, and judges.. It is all volunteer work, and you just have to have love for the game.

Everything has a cost whether it be time or money, and with Boxing not being as "center stage" as it once was we have to take what we can get and do our best managing the downfalls...

Comment

Standing 8 counts are design to protect a "HURT" fighter... If they get caught with a good shot, that should definitely not warranty a standing 8...

I agree with all the above posts on that...

Comment

Originally posted by ICEMAN JOHN SCULLY View Post
                      PS: As a result of all this, you likely will never again be able to predict future boxing greatness based on amateur crednetials...winning the gold medal isnt proof of fighting superiority now as much as it is proof that the winner knows how to box under the scoring system currently in place...
                      This is 100% true. I could care less if a prospect is a medalist any more.

Comment

Working...
                      X