No announcement yet.

Jean Pascal vs. Tavoris Cloud

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jreckoning View Post
    I think Pascal is fine but he can be countered because after he throws he's never in great position. His quickness makes up for it a lot of the time.

It would be an interesting fight.

I often think that if Froch can beat him, I think Cloud has a reasonable chance as well.
    Yes, he can be countered, especially after he throws his right hand, which is something Cloud likes to do. Cloud likes to roll with right hands and come back with his own, but I think the Dawson fight showed that Pascal can follow a gameplan.

Pascal said he had bad troubles making 168, I actually believe him considering how much more explosive and energetic he has been at 175 compared to how he was at 168, his punch resistance seems to have gotten better too.

Comment

Originally posted by jreckoning View Post
      I think Pascal is fine but he can be countered because after he throws he's never in great position. His quickness makes up for it a lot of the time.

It would be an interesting fight.

I often think that if Froch can beat him, I think Cloud has a reasonable chance as well.
      The Froch fight is different because Pascal is better as a LHW, also it was his first tough fight and he learned a lot from it. That lost made him better and proved that it would better for him to go at the LHW cause he had problems making the 168. "sorry for my english, i speak French..."

Comment

Originally posted by Silencers View Post
        I could make the argument that Pascal is the fastest fighter in the division right now, Cloud's speed is about the same as Dawson's IMO and you could see the evident speed difference between Pascal and Dawson.

A good jab stops Cloud from doing whatever he likes to do, Johnson has never been known for his jab, and he didn't really throw a good jab against Cloud yet whenever he decided to work behind his jab, he stopped everything Cloud was doing.
        complete rubbish. i don't know what fighter you've watched but johnson is actually KNOWN for his jab. johnsons jab gave chad fits in their first fight (complete fits) pascal didn't do anything with his jab. it was more of pascal jumping in & throwing shots which confused dawson. it had nothing to do with pascals jab. dawson actually out jabbed pascal 5 times over. from what i saw pascal was more *EXPLOSIVE* then dawson, not faster. cloud is even more bigger & explosive then pascal. you guys don't understand that styles make fights. that fight is a bloody massacre against pascal style wise.

johnson was beat at his own game and thrown around the ring. cloud was still boming away in the 11th and 12th.

lets pray that the cloud/pascal fight is made is pretty much all i can say lol
        Last edited by americanbot; 08-17-2010, 12:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Megamasterking View Post
          The Froch fight is different because Pascal is better as a LHW, also it was his first tough fight and he learned a lot from it. That lost made him better and proved that it would better for him to go at the LHW cause he had problems making the 168. "sorry for my english, i speak French..."

You are doing fine. It's a good conversation.

Comment

Jean Pascal is getting no respect on Boxingscene.

Again, not really surprising, butthurt fan want to slug him since he beat they pretty boy Dawson and now Cloud, another US boy, it would be a disaster if he beats both.

Whatever

Comment

Originally posted by americanbot View Post
              complete rubbish. i don't know what fighter you've watched but johnson is actually KNOWN for his jab. johnsons jab gave chad fits in their first fight (complete fits) pascal didn't do anything with his jab. it was more of pascal jumping in & throwing shots which confused dawson. it had nothing to do with pascals jab. dawson actually out jabbed pascal 5 times over. from what i saw pascal was more *EXPLOSIVE* then dawson, not faster. cloud is even more bigger & explosive then pascal. you guys don't understand that styles make fights. that fight is a bloody massacre against pascal style wise.

johnson was beat at his own game and thrown around the ring. cloud was still bomning away in the 11th and 12th.

lets pray that the cloud/pascal fight is made is pretty much all i can say lol
              Johnson uses his jab to set up his shots to get on the inside, he doesn't use it to neutralize opponent's offense, which is what he managed to do against Cloud.

I never said Pascal had a better jab than Dawson, Pascal has a good jab when he uses it, Pascal would've been quite stupid to try to outjab Dawson anyway considering his height and reach disadvantage so Dawson outjabbing Pascal is really nothing out of the ordinary.

When Pascal and Dawson both threw at the same time, it was normally Pascal who landed his shot first.

Cloud knows only to fight 1 way, and that's coming forward swinging for the fences, Pascal's movement would offset Cloud's rhythm and if Pascal's team are smart, they will have Pascal using his jab to not allow Cloud to put his punches together in bunches.

Johnson and Cloud was fought on the inside, you think Pascal will fight him on the inside? Of course he won't, as much as I like Johnson, I have to say he's a pretty one dimensional guy, he's very, very good at that one dimension but he's still a one dimensional guy. Pascal has more tools in his arsenal compared to Johnson IMO, he can fight moving around or he can fight on the inside or he can stand his ground and work at range.

Comment

Johnson uses his jab to set up his shots to get on the inside, he doesn't use it to neutralize opponent's offense, which is what he managed to do against Cloud.

I never said Pascal had a better jab than Dawson, Pascal has a good jab when he uses it, Pascal would've been quite stupid to try to outjab Dawson anyway considering his height and reach disadvantage so Dawson outjabbing Pascal is really nothing out of the ordinary.

When Pascal and Dawson both threw at the same time, it was normally Pascal who landed his shot first.

Cloud knows only to fight 1 way, and that's coming forward swinging for the fences, Pascal's movement would offset Cloud's rhythm and if Pascal's team are smart, they will have Pascal using his jab to not allow Cloud to put his punches together in bunches.

Johnson and Cloud was fought on the inside, you think Pascal will fight him on the inside? Of course he won't, as much as I like Johnson, I have to say he's a pretty one dimensional guy, he's very, very good at that one dimension but he's still a one dimensional guy. Pascal has more tools in his arsenal compared to Johnson IMO, he can fight moving around or he can fight on the inside or he can stand his ground and work at range.
                i don't understand your first statement because anyone who boxes or has ever boxed knows that thats what a jab is for. to create more openings and set up your shots???? what you said was pascal was using the jab against dawson. my point is.....his jab meant nothing even when he would throw it. it was more of pascal jumping in & jumping out with explosive punches.

cloud knows 1 way to fight but in pascals case it doesn't even matter. styles make fights. & clouds style is a demon for pascal to handle. pressuring with explosive powerful combos will destroy pascal in that fight. pascal BARELY knows how to fight another way himself LOL pascals "boxing" skills aren't good enough to beat cloud. to beat cloud by outboxing him (like you're saying pascal can do) you would need TOP OF THE LINE boxing skills. comparing pascals boxing skills to top of the line? his boxing skills would come back poor. so that is a joke in it's self.

if pascal tries to move around on cloud. cloud just jumps on him leading to pascal getting stopped by tko later in the fight. on top of that it won't be that hard to do because pascal gets tired and fights in slow spurts. i don't know what u want me to say.
                Last edited by americanbot; 08-17-2010, 12:42 AM.

Comment

i don't understand your first statement because anyone who boxes or has ever boxed knows that thats what a jab is for. to create more openings and set up your shots???? what you said was pascal was using the jab against dawson. my point is.....his jab meant nothing even when he would throw it. it was more of pascal jumping in & jumping out with explosive punches.

cloud knows 1 way to fight but in pascals case it doesn't even matter. styles make fights. & clouds style is a demon for pascal to handle. pressuring with explosive powerful combos will destroy pascal in that fight. pascal BARELY knows how to fight another way himself LOL pascals "boxing" skills aren't good enough to beat cloud. to beat cloud by outboxing him (like you're saying pascal can do) you would need TOP OF THE LINE boxing skills. comparing pascals boxing skills to top of the line? his boxing skills would come back poor. so that is a joke in it's self.

if pascal tries to move around on cloud. cloud just jumps on him leading to pascal getting stopped by tko later in the fight. on top of that it won't be that hard to do because pascal gets tired and fights in slow spurts. i don't know what u want me to say.
                  A jab can also be used to disrupt an opponent's rhythm, what you say about creating openings is true but that's only 1 example of how a jab is effective. Johnson was not known for jabbing to neutralize opponents' offense, he jabbed to get inside and to create his openings, what he managed to do against Cloud was to make Cloud constantly reset when he jabbed. Johnson rarely made his jab work like that.

Where did I saw Pascal outjabbed Dawson? A fighter has to use a jab in every fight.

What do you mean Cloud fighting one way doesn't matter? Of course it matters, it'll matter throughout his whole career because it means he's predictable, Johnson already laid the groundwork on how to beat Cloud, and that's by using your jab.

You don't need to be as skillful as a Mayweather or a Whitaker to beat Cloud, he's not that good skillwise.

And you know, Cloud didn't exactly show great stamina aginst Johnson, he looked like he got slowed down quite noticeably by those body shots and fought in spurts himself.

I don't think you have seen enough Pascal fights.

I'm not saying a Cloud win is out of the question but I'd favor Pascal.

Comment

Cloud would beat pascal for the simple fact.. Pascal stops punching when his opponant punches.. Cloud has a decent jab.and can explode. He can outwork....pascal leading to a TKO .

Comment

A jab can also be used to disrupt an opponent's rhythm, what you say about creating openings is true but that's only 1 example of how a jab is effective. Johnson was not known for jabbing to neutralize opponents' offense, he jabbed to get inside and to create his openings, what he managed to do against Cloud was to make Cloud constantly reset when he jabbed. Johnson rarely made his jab work like that.

Where did I saw Pascal outjabbed Dawson? A fighter has to use a jab in every fight.

What do you mean Cloud fighting one way doesn't matter? Of course it matters, it'll matter throughout his whole career because it means he's predictable, Johnson already laid the groundwork on how to beat Cloud, and that's by using your jab.

You don't need to be as skillful as a Mayweather or a Whitaker to beat Cloud, he's not that good skillwise.

And you know, Cloud didn't exactly show great stamina aginst Johnson, he looked like he got slowed down quite noticeably by those body shots and fought in spurts himself.

I don't think you have seen enough Pascal fights.

I'm not saying a Cloud win is out of the question but I'd favor Pascal.
                      what johnson managed to do is what he always manages to do. pump out plenty of jabs & punches. thats nothing new. glen would throw a lot of jabs against pretty much anyone @ lightheavy as seen in his first fight with dawson. glen johnson is a workhorse, especially when you fight his fight like cloud did.....how can you compare johnson who almost threw 900 punches (plenty of jabs) to pascal who threw 400 punches (and was WINDED begging for air might i add) its beyond me. and johnson is suppose to be the old one LOL personally i don't see pascal doing ANYTHING with his jab against cloud. if anything u will be shocked at how clouds jab will be getting to pascal.

I'm repeating myself. i said that cloud fighting one way doesn't matter when speaking of pascal because clouds entire style is all wrong for pascal. i didn't say that it doesn't matter for clouds entire career if he fought 1 way.

johnson was beat. he was tired, he was falling all over the place while cloud was still throwing crisp bombs as if he was in the first round. johnson didn't lay down any blue print on how to beat cloud because he got beat at his own game. especially if you're talking about in pascals case. pascal doesn't throw ANYWHERE NEAR to 900 punches? is this a joke? pascal threw 400 punches and was ready to FAINT. the cloud vs johnson fight can't be compared to the dawson vs pascal fight (as far as stamina goes) because the cloud johnson fight was fought on a much higher work rate. and in the 11th and 12th round cloud was still throwing body & head shots like he was in the 1st round.

No, you will need high level boxing skills if you are to beat cloud that way. cloud is waaaaay too explosive, powerful, and agressive for that. you would need to use those skills to a tee. which pascal simply doesn't have.

playing the fight in my head i see cloud coming out, i see pascal trying to move. i then see cloud catching him with explosive quick shots. oddly i see pascal being suckered into a war from that. they trade shots. cloud looks to be the stronger man. i then see pascal trying to move around the ring the next round or 2 realizing that war with cloud wouldn't be wise. (& also taking orders from his corner to stick with the game plan) i then see pascal breaking down about in the 7th and 8th. his nose is bleediing, he's tired. he's in a long grueling fight. i see him being stopped.
                      Last edited by americanbot; 08-17-2010, 02:57 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X