No announcement yet.

Slick african american style is a myth

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by blackirish137 View Post
    what is up with this 'african american' style? Nicolino Locche used a floyd Mayweather esque defensive style years and years before even Mayweather's father, and a few Argentinians before him have used that kind in the past. I love it when peopel act like Flyod Sr. 'invented' that stance.

whats more, guys like Benny Leonard were using this 'slick' style back in the early parts of the 1900s.

what people are stupid about is that they dont recongnise that every single style EVER had a weakness. I mean look at Ray Robinson and Henry Armstrong, two of the widely received greatest fighters of all time...contrary to opular belief, NEITHER of them were really slick boxers, they were both offensive oriented fighters.

That stance was invented by a black fighter from philly which is why its called the philly shell.I forgot the guys name.

You don`t have to use the philly shell to be a slick fighter.Hopkins does`nt use the philly shell and he`s a slick fighter.

Comment

Originally posted by Forza View Post
      Slick pure boxers have always ruled boxing, brawlers always get whooped on and they have short careers that end with them having speech problems.

George Foreman had a very short lived career and even though he was a proffesional commentator for HBO, he has serious speech problems.

Comment

Originally posted by WladIsTheChamp View Post
        Actually this whole color style is a myth, you either have the skills or you don't. Pirog said he prefers to fight Americans because they are easier to hit due to them trying to be more flashy and the Europeans are more technical and take less risks, therefore they are more risky. I would agree with that. Mayweather is not a risk taker, neither is BHop, they are so difficult to beat because they don't engage in battles. Wlad has turned into a great defensive fighter as well under Steward, when he was younger, he was more offensive minded, look where that got him. Interestingly enough, to a lot of US fans Wlad is "boring" but Mayweather or BHop are defensive genesius, I suspect the US fans are being biased, because Wlad delivers way more KOs than those two.
        No your the Bias one.What does defense have to do with having a exciting style?

Nobody ever said Wlad does`nt have good defense they just simply said he`s boring and alot of people find Hopkins and Floyd boring also.You are just looking for something to complain about.

Comment

i think there is a slick style......not exclusively for blacks....i disagree.....they rule boxing though......i have boxer/puncher....................dominating that one

Comment

Another example is Kotelnik beating Alexander

he's not that slick but he is african american

WAR SOVIET RUSSIA!!

Comment

Originally posted by shadeyfizzle View Post
              Only in NSB does the idea that the "slick african american" style is somehow superior exist. Propagated only recently by *****s and pachaters. But boxing history shows us time and time again the "slick" style beaten and battered by styles that were supposedly tailor made for them.

Chad Dawson outworked by Jean Pascal

Zab Judah beaten by slow plodders Kostya tsyu and Carlos Baldomir

Roy Jones jr beaten by southpaw Antonio Tarver

Pernell Whitaker stretched to the limit by come forward Julio Cesar Chavez.

And even Floyd Mayweather himself arguably beaten by 1dimensional Jose luis Castillo.
              one dimensional?

really?

Comment

Originally posted by Imhotep View Post
                Nicolino Locche fights nothing like Floyd.He relied on his fast reflexes more then Floyd and threw punches from unorthodox angles.
                LOL WHAT? Locche was unbelievably unathletic considering his high boxing level. the man never trained and used to smoke ciggarettes inbetween rounds of his fights. he relied entirely on his skill set, not speed. Maywather is who relies on his speed much more.

theyre defensive styles are VERY similiar, when comparing the shoulder roll stance.

and what about Wilfredo Benitez? Whitaker? Toney? they all had bad damage in their career. Then look at someone like Chuvalo who got hit constantly and yet speaks completely fine.
                and what about Duran, who people consider a 'brawler' a lot of the time? He was still fighting a top 5 Middleweights at 46 and winning, and as far as I know has little no lasting damage.

the best two fighters of all time, Robinson and Armstrong, were offensive based fighters(especially Armstrong).
                no 'style' is better than another, its how you can effectively use it that matters.

Comment

That stance was invented by a black fighter from philly which is why its called the philly shell.I forgot the guys name.

You don`t have to use the philly shell to be a slick fighter.Hopkins does`nt use the philly shell and he`s a slick fighter.
                  George Benton ?, don't think he invented it he was just a prominent user of it.

what is up with this 'african american' style? Nicolino Locche used a floyd Mayweather esque defensive style years and years before even Mayweather's father, and a few Argentinians before him have used that kind in the past. I love it when peopel act like Flyod Sr. 'invented' that stance.
                  Wouldn't say that Locche used a Mayweather type defense, he seemed to have 3 different stances which he changed through at random intervals and obviously depending on the situation, the shoulder roll was one of them though.
                  Yeah :/, find it funny when the hardcore Floyd fans say that they invented it.

Comment

LOL WHAT? Locche was unbelievably unathletic considering his high boxing level. the man never trained and used to smoke ciggarettes inbetween rounds of his fights. he relied entirely on his skill set, not speed. Maywather is who relies on his speed much more.

theyre defensive styles are VERY similiar, when comparing the shoulder roll stance.

and what about Wilfredo Benitez? Whitaker? Toney? they all had bad damage in their career. Then look at someone like Chuvalo who got hit constantly and yet speaks completely fine.
                    and what about Duran, who people consider a 'brawler' a lot of the time? He was still fighting a top 5 Middleweights at 46 and winning, and as far as I know has little no lasting damage.

the best two fighters of all time, Robinson and Armstrong, were offensive based fighters(especially Armstrong).
                    no 'style' is better than another, its how you can effectively use it that matters.

I never said Nico was`nt slick.
                    Last edited by Imhotep; 08-16-2010, 01:56 PM.

Comment

I never said Nico was`nt slick i said he does`nt fight like floyd.And your comments on Floyd relies more on his speed shows either your a Floyd hater or you having really paid attention to Floyd fights.
                      Mayweather relies far more on speed than Locche ever did, even though he is an excellent example of a fighter with both high level speed and skill.

Comment

Working...
                      X