No announcement yet.

Stop already comparing Manny to Armstrong

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oc9979 View Post
    Catchweight fights can also occur when fighters decide to meet at a weight class limit that is in between the two fighters normal weight classes. For example when Manny Pacquiao fought Oscar De La Hoya the fight took place at the 147lb weight class which is a welterweight fight. But the fighters used the weightclass as a catchweight since De La Hoya was fighting above 147 at the time and Pacquiao was fighting below 147. Like when Wanderlei Silva fought Rich Franklin at a catch weight bout of 195 pounds. Under Silva's weight class of 205 pounds and above Franklin's weight class of 185 pounds. Rich Franklin gained 10 pounds and Wanderlei Silva lost 10 pounds. They agreed on a catch weight bout.

So was Hopkins vs Pavlik a catch weight fight??
    um, NO.

ww is not a "catch weight" ..lol....

Comment

Originally posted by goldenglove2 View Post
      um, NO.

ww is not a "catch weight" ..lol....
      ummm yea
      It is a catch weight.
      145 is welterweight as well but it is a catchweight.

Comment

Originally posted by oc9979 View Post
        ummm yea
        It is a catch weight.
        145 is welterweight as well but it is a catchweight.
        you are right, and Goledenglove2 is wrong

a catch-weight is simply a weight at which 2 fighters agree to meet for various reasons

as soon as they both move up or down to meet, you have a catch-weight

whether it happens to be at a division limit or not, it doesn't matter

Comment

Originally posted by goldenglove2 View Post
          was Dela's choice to fight a former 106lbs fighter at 147 and he got owned.

Cottos previous fight before Pac he was 146. WHOA, 1lb. Again he had a choice.

Margo was just at ww for like the past 10 years. 150 is no problem. Again Manny started at 106.

Hatton was at his BEST weight and the lineal champion there. Funny you dont mention that.

Another thing Pac isnt taking tune ups. He takes hard fights one after the other....Maybe e should have some light weights come up and meet him to make you happy.
          the question is not whether Cotto, DLH and Margo could make the catch-weight easy

I do believe Cotto did it easy (he said himself he wouldn't have agreed to a catch-weight if he thought it would hurt him) and i believe Margo will make it easy (he has been a WW for a while, but claimed he had a hard time making 147 for Mosley, maybe just an excuse, who knows)

bottom line is that Margo last fought at 154
          bottom line is that titles depend on defined weight classes, and they should not be won at 145 or 150 when the limits happen to be 147 and 154

you said it yourself, 145 is just one pound shy of Cotto's last fight when it happened, SO WHY IN HELL PACQUIAO ASKS FOR THOSE STUPID 2 POUNDS, BRINGING CRITICISM AND SUSPICION UPON HIMSELF THAT IS NOT NECESSARY

we all saw how easy he dispatched Cotto, then why give people the chance to criticize what is a great victory for 2 pounds ? why make himself look like a man who wants to drain his opponents ?

as for Hatton, I did mention Pacquiao's run from 112 up to 140 was perfect and that he is tarnishing that great run with those bull**** catch-weights since he has moved up to 147

Comment

funny how RimmyDelicious disappeared from this thread when everybody started owning him.

Comment

Originally posted by LeTombeur View Post
              you are right, and Goledenglove2 is wrong

a catch-weight is simply a weight at which 2 fighters agree to meet for various reasons

as soon as they both move up or down to meet, you have a catch-weight

whether it happens to be at a division limit or not, it doesn't matter

do you agree that it was ODLH who asked the fight to be at 147?

back then, you just cant order "the golden boy" around. so i doubt it was a demand from team pac to have it at 147.

Comment

Originally posted by rottentothecore View Post
                do you agree that it was ODLH who asked the fight to be at 147?

back then, you just cant order "the golden boy" around. so i doubt it was a demand from team pac to have it at 147.
                it appears that DLH was stupid enough to go down to 147 by himself, yes

but Pacquiao did push Oscar around a bit with such demands as 1 million penalty for every pound over the agreed upon catch-weight of 147

I'll turn the question around : do you think Pacquiao would have fought Oscar if he decided to fight at 154 ?

NEVER, and DLH wanted this fight bad because it would make him the most money

people were criticizing Oscar back then because he was ''picking small opponents'', namely 2pound and Pacman

it has always been obvious to me Oscar was picking the man against which he could make the maximum money, and size didn't matter
                had the biggest star aside of himself been Margo, he would have fought Margo (that's how I see it)

it is not debatable that Oscar was not looking healthy and that he was shot to death

he was owned, embarrassed and humiliated, good for him

Comment

I am very surprised by the poll results so far
                  I never thought the option ''true'' would get that many votes

Comment

How many fighters today would have the luck of being compared to the great armstrong?

The guy was the first to walk on the moon, right?

Comment

Originally posted by LeTombeur View Post
                      funny how RimmyDelicious disappeared from this thread when everybody started owning him.

im here....you can start owning me now!...why is catchweight only a problem if its pac?

Comment

Working...
                      X