No announcement yet.

Stop already comparing Manny to Armstrong

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mr. Mandingo View Post
    Henry Armstrong is being severely overrated by his cocksuckers because he's dead andhis last name is "Armstrong". His era in boxing was overrated as well. Id give hime around 6 rounds before Pacquiao literally gives him a noselift.
    Originally posted by Mr. Mandingo View Post
    you are obviously a complete ****** and you don't bring nothing to the discussion

therefore, I will put you on ignore so that you cannot spit anymore **** in this thread

Comment

Originally posted by Pacdbest View Post
      As I told you Cotto or anybody's free to fight anybody. Pac can still fights at 135 if he wants to. But He's following the Money fights at the higher weights. As I told u Pac's not a real welter but he's fighting Big guys for bigger money and greater legacy.

So u guys stop crying and appreciate a Brave man like Pac who fights anybody. Unlike Floyd who pick only the easier fight for him.
      Pac is brave, no doubt

but it would be more brave not to ask for catch-weights

going up, fighting big guys and asking for a catch-weight at the same time, it's like being afraid of his own bravery

Comment

Originally posted by CungLe View Post
        Then how was he 147 a month before the fight and you can see that in 24/7

NEXT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PACQUIAO is just better fighter then HOYA,period!
        it was easy to predict Pacquiao would walk right through DLH watching his horrible performance against feather-fisted 2pound

Pacman hasn't proven he is better, he just happened to fight DLH at the right time and at the right weight

Roach admitted he wouldn't have put prime DLH against prime Pacquiao, and he accurately repeated during all the promotion that DLH couldn't pull the trigger anymore

there aren't a lot of people arguing that, besides the irrational ******ed people like you

Comment

Originally posted by loui_ludwig View Post
          To the TS, don't tell the members here that. Tell that to the boxing media. The fans get their opinions on the media.
          well, I can only do so much, which is expressing my feelings over the appreciation of Pacquiao at this point

the comparison with Armstrong looks wrong to me for the reasons I have stated

Comment

He refuses drug tests, he fights at catch weights and won't fight black Americans, he's a bum and a fraud.

Comment

Originally posted by crold1 View Post
              This argument is ridiculous as a point of comparing what Hank and Manny did unless you only wish to it further verify Armstrong as bad ass and antithetical to what Pac has done for Cotto and, purportedly, now Marg. Hank, as a champion and star, came DOWN the scale to face world class men from divisions below. He wasn't seeking advantage or trying to dry out his foes.
              great great point

you have to ask yourself who benefits from the catch-weight

in Pacquiao's case, it is Pacquiao

if Armstrong was fighting quality men going up in weight while he was the champion and met those foes at a catch-weight, then Armstrong was the one doing a favor to his opponents (like Margo, DLH and Cotto did for Pacquiao)

green K to Cliff Rold

Comment

Originally posted by RimmyDelicious View Post
                Lew Jenkins, contested at 140 for the welterweight crown for starters.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...1155009AAgUN14

It's on the front page of his Boxrec stats as well.

If you need more "proof" then that, the fact that both men weighed just a shade under 140 for the welterweight, I will dig for more proof. However, I think I've already proven conclusively that Hank fought title fights at catchweights.

What you so conveniently left out was that

A. It was a non title fight.

B. Jenkins was smaller than Armstrong

C. Don't rely on "yahoo answers" for boxing questions.

Comment

lol@ts comparing pac with armstrong. pac was just greater and it wasn't even close.

Comment

Originally posted by j.one View Post
                    He refuses drug tests, he fights at catch weights and won't fight black Americans, he's a bum and a fraud.
                    gayweather is scared to fight an asian midget.

Comment

Originally posted by RimmyDelicious View Post
                      "Henry Armstrong TKO end of 6 Lew Jenkins -- Polo Grounds, N.Y., July 17, 1940

Welterweight champion Henry Armstrong was obliged to weigh in seven pounds under the division limit for his scheduled 12-rounder with lightweight champion Lew Jenkins. This was no problem for Armstrong, a featherweight champion who was small for a welterweight. Armstrong came in at 139 pounds, while Jenkins was just a half-pound over the lightweight limit of 135.

The fight held intrigue because Jenkins, from Sweetwater, Texas, was known to be a terrific hitter. New York Times columnist John Kieran was one of many who felt that Jenkins's big punch gave him a chance. "If he can land that punch on a dodging target like Armstrong he may do well for himself," Kieran opined in a prefight story.

Jenkins did indeed do damage. Joseph P. Dawson reported in The New York Times that Armstrong's left eye was swollen almost shut while his right eye "dripped a blinding flow of blood" after a desperation left hook opened an old cut. Armstrong was winning the fight, though. He took command from the fourth round and Jenkins was down seven times, unable to hold the stronger, superior fighter in Armstrong. Referee Arthur Donovan stopped the fight at the end of the sixth as Jenkins "writhed and groaned on his stool" in the words of reporter Dawson."

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/box...ory?id=3238297
                      as Cliff pointed out, you kind of owned yourself with this because Armstrong was the one going down in weight and doing a favor to Jenkins

and it has been contested that it was a title bout

Comment

Working...
                      X