No announcement yet.

Why doesn’t Mayweather fight Cotto?!!!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Akira Fudo View Post
    I no longer believe Mayweather needs an opponent to sell, I believe he could do 1 million+ PPVs regardless of the opponent. So it's inexcusable to avoid Paul Williams or Martinez because of their lack of drawing power. I'm sorry man, but at this point Miguel Cotto doesn't pose much of a threat. Also, Mayweather himself acknowledged that Cotto was beaten with bricks, even used that to discredit Pacquiao's win over him. So it would be hypocritical of Mayweather to view Cotto as a possible opponent.

Man...I want to see Mayweather in competitive bouts. Lets look at Duran, Duran had Carlos Palomino, Benitez, Hagler, Leonard, Hearns, Esteban De Jesus, Barkley and the list goes on and on, he had people who could more then challenge him; beat him. Mayweather has Martinez, Paul Williams and Pacquiao. I couldn't care less if he lost man, I want to see him get challenged. Mayweather would walk all over Cotto, especially now.

Green K just for that..first Mayweather fan to admit that..atleast in my eyes

but Mayweather will not sell 1mil+ with just anybody..I doubt HBO would put up that much funds for a Mayweather-Williams/Martinez..so a 24/7 would probably be out of the question..and even then he had one with Marquez and did what about 1mil buys even?..and he had Marquez has a MUCH bigger following then Martinez/Williams combined and the leverage of giving Pacquiao HELL for 2 fights and the fact that he's Mexican and they fought on the weekend of Mexican independence..Marketing was made possible in so many ways for a Marquez fight..with Williams and Martinez it won't be easy at all..they have no history or big enough fan bases to allow it..

I'm not saying Cotto would beat Mayweather either..his best shot was after the Mosley victory when Mayweather went on his "vacation"..but Cotto isn't a nobody all of a sudden..he's still someone who would put Mayweathers resume on higher levels on the name alone..even tho..like usual..he waited for him to be past it before giving him a shot..

Comment

Cotto? Forget it.

Imagine if Floyd fought Cotto after Margarito beat the crap out of him like Pac did...Floyd would have been crucified as taken advantage of a fighter.

Floyd needs to fight the likes of Pac, Williams, Martinez, maybe even one of the hyped up fighters at 140...something.

Pac shouldn't have fought Cotto. He should have fought Shane Mosley but he ducked him.

In order to fight Pac you have to be either past your prime, kind of like Floyd is now, coming of a loss in either the fighter's prior fight or one before it...especially by KO...like Margarito and Cotto are/were...or weight-drained. There has to be some major vulnerability in the opponent for Roach to let his boy Pac fight. Pac is a vampire as much as Floyd is.

**** them both to be honest. Two overrated fighters they are by the fans. Great fighters, but two overrated fighters compared to some other ATG fighters that stepped up and fought tough competition.

Comment

Originally posted by Benny Leonard View Post
        Cotto? Forget it.

Imagine if Floyd fought Cotto after Margarito beat the crap out of him like Pac did...Floyd would have been crucified as taken advantage of a fighter.

Floyd needs to fight the likes of Pac, Williams, Martinez, maybe even one of the hyped up fighters at 140...something.

Pac shouldn't have fought Cotto. He should have fought Shane Mosley but he ducked him.

In order to fight Pac you have to be either past your prime, kind of like Floyd is now, coming of a loss in either the fighter's prior fight or one before it...especially by KO...like Margarito and Cotto are/were...or weight-drained. There has to be some major vulnerability in the opponent for Roach to let his boy Pac fight. Pac is a vampire as much as Floyd is.

**** them both to be honest.
        Two overrated fighters they are by the fans. Great fighters, but two overrated fighters compared to some other ATG fighters that stepped up and fought tough competition.
        My sentiments exactly!..

Comment

I'd like to see him get another pay day and be apart of another huge promotion.

But Miguel doesn't really have a chance.

Looking at the fight analytically...it's quite simple. Left hooks do NOT land on Mayweather. Ever. And Cotto just had more surgery on his already weakened right shoulder.

Cotto would have some success early behind his great jab...but Mayweather would start countering over it with the straight right...a punch Cotto gets hit with a lot, and it'd be all downhill from there.

Comment

Originally posted by Eyesolated View Post
            Green K just for that..first Mayweather fan to admit that..atleast in my eyes

but Mayweather will not sell 1mil+ with just anybody..I doubt HBO would put up that much funds for a Mayweather-Williams/Martinez..so a 24/7 would probably be out of the question..and even then he had one with Marquez and did what about 1mil buys even?..and he had Marquez has a MUCH bigger following then Martinez/Williams combined and the leverage of giving Pacquiao HELL for 2 fights and the fact that he's Mexican and they fought on the weekend of Mexican independence..Marketing was made possible in so many ways for a Marquez fight..with Williams and Martinez it won't be easy at all..they have no history or big enough fan bases to allow it..

I'm not saying Cotto would beat Mayweather either..his best shot was after the Mosley victory when Mayweather went on his "vacation"..but Cotto isn't a nobody all of a sudden..he's still someone who would put Mayweathers resume on higher levels on the name alone..even tho..like usual..he waited for him to be past it before giving him a shot..
            Thanks man

Just that I look at Mosley who isn't much of a draw, and I was surprised that Mayweather managed to do 1.4M. I strongly believe he could get close to a mill regardless of the opponent, especially against Martinez who put on a great showing against Pavlik.

In the bold

To me, Cotto should have expressed how much he wanted Mayweather. The biggest misconception in Boxing is that the fighter works for the promoter, when it's exactly the other way around. Cotto was a different animal back then, so I already missed out on Mayweather vs. Cotto, atleast in my eyes. No different from a B-Hop vs. Roy rematch, we may have gotten it, but we actually missed it.

Comment

Originally posted by savorduhflavor View Post

Looking at the fight analytically...it's quite simple. Left hooks do NOT land on Mayweather. Ever. And Cotto just had more surgery on his already weakened right shoulder.

Cotto would have some success early behind his great jab...but Mayweather would start countering over it with the straight right...a punch Cotto gets hit with a lot, and it'd be all downhill from there.
              This should have already been established. As for Cotto's right shoulder, I didn't even know that!

Comment

Originally posted by savorduhflavor View Post

I'm a big Cotto fan, and I agree with this. The only way i think it becomes a closer fight is if they fight later on in their careers where Floyd's reflexes may not be what they used to be and Cotto somewhat taking advantage. But I'd still pick Floyd by decision.

Comment

Originally posted by Eyesolated View Post
                  Won't happen...

...Cotto still lives in Puerto Rico..
                  this

Comment

Simple Arum wont let it happen he knows Mayweather will school Cotto and end his career and the possibility of Pacq winning another belt at light middle.

Which Arum would promote and make the most money from.

therefore a fight with Margarito or Cotto is not going to happen whilst Pacq has he sights set on moving up to light middle.

Comment

Originally posted by freeloada View Post
                      Let’s admit it, boxing fans, especially the diehard Floyd Mayweather fans; when was the last time you have seen Floyd in a fight with an outstanding boxer that is still in their prime? Don’t say Ricky Hatton because I’d have to laugh at that. My point being I truly believe Mayweather is too good for his last 5 or so fights.

Nevertheless, we’ve had the chance to see Manny Pacquiao fight opponents that Mayweather fought before him. Mayweather put on a brilliant fight versus Oscar De La Hoya in a decision win but Manny’s performance against De La Hoya was priceless, as the Filipino slugger made De La Hoya and his corner give up after being beaten really badly. We saw Mayweather knock out Ricky Hatton in the 10th round in 2007, while Hatton didn’t last a full six minutes versus Pacquiao and laid motionless in the middle of the ring afterwards.

And Oh, by the way, we haven’t seen Hatton in the ring since that night. You might want to compare Mayweather’s bout against Juan Manuel Marquez to Pacquiao’s bouts versus Marquez but take into consideration Marquez didn’t have to gain 20 pounds to fight Pacquiao. Side note: I will forever question Mayweather for the Marquez fight; There were so many better boxers in the welterweight division that he could have fought.

Anyway, my point is last time we saw Miguel Cotto it was in a one-sided bout against Yuri Foreman and Cotto looked great. But before that fight, Cotto was in the ring with Pacquiao and Manny’s speed and power proved to be the advantage of that fight. Pacquiao’s offensive aggression was just too much for Cotto. Since it is clear Mayweather is not going to fight Pacquiao right now, how about if he fights Miguel Cotto.

I believe that should truly be his next fight, if not a fight against Pacquiao. We saw a few years back Cotto beat the very same Shane Mosley that Mayweather just beat. Boxing fans all over do not want to see Mayweather fight another seasoned out of prime fighter. If not Pacquiao, at least Mayweather needs to take on Cotto. How about it?

link
                      Nor have we seen DLH in the ring since Paq shellacked him.

Comment

Working...
                      X