Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why does Pacquiao get so much stick for the catchweight fight?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by No Ceilings View Post
    Pac aint that little.

He was steppingnin fights at 130 weighing 144 pounds. People need to cut that out.
    Right. I'm tired of hearing people cry about how he was too small for Cotto so he asked for a catchweight. I'm not buying it.

Comment

i really just dont see the big deal, but it is worrysome that they already want cotto to not be at 154...like..when my friends saw that they caled me and said "hey you see why ppl suspect him of using stuff...because of THIS type of behavior. its just stupid, why not just fight him at 147 and 154?!! it does raise some questions, but the weight didn't matter then, and it wont matter if they meet again, pacquiao is just in a whole 'nother level.

Comment

Originally posted by boxasmash View Post
        The guy is a blown up Lightweight, it's amazing he even fought Cotto in the first place.

We should be thankful he was willing to step up a weight again, Chavez didn't go to Welterweight but no one cries about that... No one makes a big deal of Chavez vs Whitaker catchweight either.

If you want to crown someone the "catchweight king", look no further than Bernard Hopkins. He has not once but THREE times fought smaller fighters at catchweights, De La Hoya, Wright and Pavlik.

He made Oscar, a career Welterweight fight him at 158 lbs catchweight (who cares about the belt, robbery), made Winky Wright fight him at 170 (10 lbs above his highest weight) and Kelly Pavlik too. He also made Calzaghe move up but that backfired on him.
        calzaghe doesnt really count, hes a huge 168lber meanwhile hopkins fought most of his career at 160. they both moved up to fight at 175, hopkins made the move sooner but started at a lower weight. no size issue there, that u try to look for one shows how biased u are.

the diffrence between hopkins and pacquiao is that except for maybe pavlik (who also is a big guy, cant make 160 anymore) ppl dont rate those wins of hopkins as amongst his best. DLH was a money fight, nothing more nothing less. also getting that last belt im sure meant alot to hopkins since it made him the undisputed MW champ, the first since his idol marvin hagler. wright doesnt play any role in hopkins' legacy eighter.

pacquiaos made his career fighting at catchweights, not comparable to what hopkins did at all. nobody gives hopkins credit for those wins (and we shouldnt) but pac gets all this hype for it and some think its undeserved. i personally dont think fighting at a catchweight eliminates the win, but it does tarnish it. it sure tarnishes him being a 147lb champion given that he won it at 145.

Comment

Working...
        X