No announcement yet.

Pacquiao Deserves BWAA Fighter Of The Decade Award

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Asian Sensation View Post
    Being in the Boxing Writers Association of America, I'd say that the reason Pacquiao was chosen overwhelmingly is because he fought the guys that the media wanted him to, and then some he didn't even have to.

In hindsight we can say that Oscar de la Hoya was an easy opponent but before that, many people thought it was a suicide machine and that Oscar found another little guy to pick on.

Miguel Cotto was another guy who was thought to be risky, and Pacquiao made mince meat of him.

Both Mayweather and Pacquiao won one easy alphabet title (Arturo Gatti and David Diaz), but Pacquiao had the advantage of being able to fight guys like Barrera, Morales and Marquez.

A lot of people point to Mayweather's more decisive win over Marquez but that victory was tainted in a lot of ways by Marquez jumping up two divisions.
    What do you think of this?:

Originally posted by Dehydrator View Post
    If I'm not mistaken percentage wise the vote came out to be 98% on Pacquiao and 2% on Floyd. something to that effect... lolol
    exactly, this proves that people understood the difference between a FIGHTER and a BOXER

Comment

Originally posted by MmuhammadM View Post
      As well as Floyd himself, his crack head trainer has completely ridiculed and disrespected my hero. If I was an atheist I wouldn't hesitate running an axe into his throat.
      you mean ali? personally everyone is entitled to their opinion. If floyd thinks he is better than ali then it is his right and his responsability to prove it.

Comment

Originally posted by slickfox View Post
        you mean ali? personally everyone is entitled to their opinion. If floyd thinks he is better than ali then it is his right and his responsability to prove it.
        yes Ali of course, lol.

Comment

What do you think of this?:

exactly, this proves that people understood the difference between a FIGHTER and a BOXER
          I think that there is no way to verify that the tally was 98% for Pacquiao since not even BWAA members were privileged to the official numbers on the voting.

Comment

I think that there is no way to verify that the tally was 98% for Pacquiao since not even BWAA members were privileged to the official numbers on the voting.
            oh ok, thanks for correcting me.

But what reason would they have for not showing the votes?

Comment

oh ok, thanks for correcting me.

But what reason would they have for not showing the votes?
              Who knows, I never really bothered to inquire. Read this article I wrote, it will give you some insight about the BWAA's decision.

http://philboxing.com/news/list.arti...d=861&id=39691

Comment

Who knows, I never really bothered to inquire. Read this article I wrote, it will give you some insight about the BWAA's decision.

http://philboxing.com/news/list.arti...d=861&id=39691
                thanks for the article.

But what do you think of the logic I used in my OP. Is it flawed?

Comment

its not all bad for floyd. he is the front runner for ***** fighter of the decade award.

its main criteria is wins over fantasy fights and ppv numbers over 11 years.

boxers with a tache are automatically disqualified.

Comment

thanks for the article.

But what do you think of the logic I used in my OP. Is it flawed?
                    It is flawed because they aren't discriminating against Mayweather because he's a pure boxer. Boxing alone doesn't win 12 round fights, Mayweather has done some serious fighting in his career against guys like Castillo, Jesus Chavez and others.

Comment

It is flawed because they aren't discriminating against Mayweather because he's a pure boxer. Boxing alone doesn't win 12 round fights, Mayweather has done some serious fighting in his career against guys like Castillo, Jesus Chavez and others.
                      I have seen those fights(castillo) and I'm not convinced he really went toe to toe with them.

He still "nutthugged" to his normal style. It's like he was afraid to break free form it, even for 10 seconds.

maybe I should watch the jesus chavez one then?

Comment

Working...
                      X