Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Double Standards Reguarding The Destruction Of GERALD McCLELLAN?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MmuhammadM View Post
    fair enough, but back to ezzard Charles. wasn't he a light heavyweight/heavyweight?
    mw to hw. Generally regarded as the best 175er in the history of the sport.

Comment

• Originally posted by wmute View Post
      mw to hw. Generally regarded as the best 175er in the history of the sport.
      Who do you think was the best 140ib of all time?

Comment

Who do you think was the best 140ib of all time?
        the most accomplished at 140, the most accomplished fighter among those who also fought at 140 at some point in their career, or the one I would never bet against?

It's a very tough question in any case, some great fighters who could have fought at 140 entirely skipped the division (Armstrong, Napoles, Duran), or fought only one title fight at the weight (Whitaker, Mayweather)

Except Armstrong, I feel that the other guys I mentioned would have probably been at their absolute best at 140, but they hardly ever fought there.

I would have a hard time picking Loi, Locche, Pryor, Chavez, Zoo against those mentioned above, but they all had deeper resumes at 140.

Benitez is also hard to rank as a 140 fighter.

I would say that Canzoneri and Ross might be the ones to look at, because they rank high as ATG's and they did spend some time at 140.

Comment

the most accomplished at 140, the most accomplished fighter among those who also fought at 140 at some point in their career, or the one I would never bet against?

It's a very tough question in any case, some great fighters who could have fought at 140 entirely skipped the division (Armstrong, Napoles, Duran), or fought only one title fight at the weight (Whitaker, Mayweather)

Except Armstrong, I feel that the other guys I mentioned would have probably been at their absolute best at 140, but they hardly ever fought there.

I would have a hard time picking Loi, Locche, Pryor, Chavez, Zoo against those mentioned above, but they all had deeper resumes at 140.

Benitez is also hard to rank as a 140 fighter.

I would say that Canzoneri and Ross might be the ones to look at, because they rank high as ATG's and they did spend some time at 140.
          I have a hard time picking anyone over Sugar Ray Leonard as an example to use. He is in top 10 p4p, so I don't see what's the problem. He didn't duck Thomas Hearns either. That's what I liked about him.
          Last edited by Vadrigar.; 06-19-2010, 11:30 AM.

Comment

I have a hard time picking anyone over Sugar Ray Leonard as an example to use. He is in top 10 p4p, so I don't see what's the problem. He didn't duck Thomas Hearns either. That's what I liked about him.
            you asked about 140, right? Then why would you talk about Leonard or Hearns?

That being said, I find it hilarious that anyone would use Ray Leonard as example of a "braveheart", but go ahead... One day you will know more about the sport in general and Ray Leonard in particular, look back, and laugh if you remember what you wrote.

Comment

you asked about 140, right? Then why would you talk about Leonard or Hearns?

That being said, I find it hilarious that anyone would use Ray Leonard as example of a "braveheart", but go ahead... One day you will know more about the sport in general and Ray Leonard in particular, look back, and laugh if you remember what you wrote.
              Is pernell whitaker more of a brave heart than Ray Leonard?

Comment

Is pernell whitaker more of a brave heart than Ray Leonard?
                I already answered the same question. Let me reiterate one *LAST* time on everything I have to say on the topic.

1a) There is a rather large body of evidence hinting at Ray being a business man, more than a "brave heart". I am not going to dwell on this further. Get some info for yourself, if you don't buy into it.

1b) There is no evidence of Pea not being a "brave heart"

2) With 1a) and 1b) in mind, let's also point out that there is no way of knowing how Pea would have behaved if he had Leonard's star power and money making ability (and vice versa).

3) I have my respect for Leonard (or Mayweather Jr. for the matter ) completely intact. It's their job, and most ppl like to make as much money as possible with their jobs. Being a "brave heart" is however "different", and does not look like Leonard (or Mayweather Jr.).

FINALLY) I have one question, too. Why do you keep asking about 140 and then talking about Leonard? Leonard never fought at the weight, and he has been criticized, right or wrong, for not fighting the best 140 fighter available when he was at 147, so... how could he be a good example?

Comment

I already answered the same question. Let me reiterate one *LAST* time on everything I have to say on the topic.

1a) There is a rather large body of evidence hinting at Ray being a business man, more than a "brave heart". I am not going to dwell on this further. Get some info for yourself, if you don't buy into it.

1b) There is no evidence of Pea not being a "brave heart"

2) With 1a) and 1b) in mind, let's also point out that there is no way of knowing how Pea would have behaved if he had Leonard's star power and money making ability (and vice versa).

3) I have my respect for Leonard (or Mayweather Jr. for the matter ) completely intact. It's their job, and most ppl like to make as much money as possible with their jobs. Being a "brave heart" is however "different", and does not look like Leonard (or Mayweather Jr.).

FINALLY) I have one question, too. Why do you keep asking about 140 and then talking about Leonard? Leonard never fought at the weight, and he has been criticized, right or wrong, for not fighting the best 140 fighter available when he was at 147, so... how could he be a good example?
                  Yes you are right, leonard never fought at the weight, I shouldn't be using him as a good example.

Actually I don't think anyone in 140 can be used as a good example. If you talk about classic fighters, then there's not really enough known about them to make an informed judgement. It's hard to know much about the boxing politics at the time.

That's why I prefer to use modern fighters as a good example.

Comment

• Originally posted by Frank Ducketts View Post
                    Gerald was he victim of rabbit punching, and a terrible ref who allowed that **** to happen...
                    was that referee ever punished?

Comment

• Good point with the quitter nickname. Its likely true, we want these fighters to give it all and doesn't think of the consequences. Like when people said **** about Cotto after the Marg fight. Most people who called fighters a quitter haven't really laced up themself.

Comment

Working...
                      X